About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Another Bear Question

3:17 a.m. on June 17, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I'm inquiring about black bears in the north east specifically

Ok now I know bears are attracted to food smells well maybe any smells in general (except smoke from you fire) and maybe this is a dumb question in general and I should just assume yes but i'm going to ask anyway.

Will the sent of burning Uco Beeswax Candles attract bears ?

They state that when they are burning they omit a present aroma see this link HERE.

12:23 p.m. on June 17, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,234 reviewer rep
5,182 forum posts

Lessee now. Beeswax - hmm, made by bees, used in construction of honeycombs in a beehive. Link says "pleasant aroma" - maybe a hint of honey? Burning candle - emits aroma into air. Lemme think - do bears like honey? Well, Yogi and Pooh like honey. Ok, fictional bears. But you betcha bears looovvvvve honey!!!! Do bears have a keen sense of smell, particularly when the smell screams FOOD!!! You betcha!

So, light the candle at least 200 feet from your tent, cooking area, and food supply. It will attract the bears to a location away from your tent. I think you have a great idea there, mike!

12:39 p.m. on June 17, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

I use plumbers candles, they are hard packed candles that burn a long time. Never had a bear be attaracted by them mainly hiking in Yosemite and Lake Placid NY.

Bear are curious animals, they will often just see shapes if they are familiar with past experience with cans,bottles and other things. In yosemite I have herad of bear that would break into cars that had old frenchfry smells coming from the upolstry, they would pry the windows out, eat the smelly car seat and make an escape out another door.

1:25 p.m. on June 17, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Thanks guys

The reason why I asked is that with the smoke from the Quebec forest fires drifted over the north east and quite heavy in some areas. I have noticed a change in animal habits, I have also noticed since then there has been enough bear sighting & activity in areas that normally don't have any bears. It caught my eye and make me think with the bear population growing and compile that with the smoke from the forest fires then throw in the the fact's that bears are smart, adaptive, inquisitive and territorial.

IMO this could be a potential issue for people hiking, camping, backpacking or just plain living in parts of the north east. So I think keeping them away from the area you are in one way or another may be more of an issue now than in the past. I know of one bear that was put down because he kept coming back to a area of a town in Central New York after relocation. Well I guess they didn't relocate him far enough away.

2:59 p.m. on June 17, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

Bears in places where they can be relocated hundreds of miles away have been known to go back home. Guess like us they have favorite places to be.

4:39 p.m. on June 17, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Well Gary you do have a point.

7:18 p.m. on June 17, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

http://www.bearbiology.com/fileadmin/tpl/Downloads/URSUS/Vol_3/Beeman_Pelton_Vol_3.pdf

Here is something you might find interesting, although a study done in the Southeast, it explains the homing (returning home) behavior of bears.

9:27 p.m. on June 17, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Thanks trout south east / north east the black bears are pretty much the same. Except there smarter up here LOL. But the one particular bear I was referring to in my post was not a native bear to that area. This all happened in about 2 weeks or so. The article you linked is interesting thanks again.

12:51 a.m. on June 18, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I would never use a beeswax candle in my backpacking camp and I use those whitish ones in my lanterns with no problem. Beeswax candles WILL attract bears and should be kept for "romantic interludes" at home.

9:57 a.m. on June 18, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

A great source of info on bears and other wildlife in your area is your state's wildlife division. Different states have different names but it generally works to do a google search for 'division of wildlife' and the state name. Many of them have a very extensive bear program and they can answer specific questions for your area. Hope this helps.

10:52 p.m. on June 24, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,018 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

Yogi and Pooh like honey. Ok, fictional bears.

Yogi and Pooh are fictional bears? No way! :-)

2:13 p.m. on August 13, 2010 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

One thing I know is very dangerous is feeding a bear a marshmallow while holding the marshmallow in your teeth.

6:45 p.m. on August 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

One thing I know is very dangerous is feeding a bear a marshmallow while holding the marshmallow in your teeth.

Better watch out for putting it on your tummy as well Brad.......... That could be a load of meat or hibernation fat.

8:27 p.m. on August 13, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,234 reviewer rep
5,182 forum posts

..In yosemite I have herad of bear that would break into cars that had old frenchfry smells coming from the upolstry, they would pry the windows out, eat the smelly car seat and make an escape out another door.

I know a climber who started recycling cooking oil he collected from fast food places here in the SFBay Area. He did the conversion of his VW diesel to biodiesel. His first trip to Yosemite Valley found the car surrounded by bears who broke into the car, apparently attracted by the "french fry" smell (yes, the car's exhaust really did smell like french fries).

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply