Trouthunter's question

10:27 a.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi, Trouthunter,

I'm a new member. You asked a while back which tent Les Stroud (Survivorman) used in his "Sierra Nevada" episode. It was the Mountain Hardwear, Stiletto 1. (I had the same question; so, I did a little research.)

The 4th reviewer of this item at "Buzzillions" confirms this. It's pretty small inside. Sells for not under $250.00. I wouldn't trade it for my freestanding, Kelty, Teton 2 (which you can still get for under $100.00 at Campmor). There is tons of room for just me, and my lady has joined me (once), for a cramped, but enjoyable evening after some steelhead fishing.

From your info, I think Mr. Stroud is about your size. Some reviewers, over 6'2, say the Stiletto is too small. There is more than just weight to consider. There is resale value. Versatility. Ease of setting up (the Teton 2 is a snap). Durability. Workmanship. How long will it last. Etc., etc. Having said that, my Teton 2 weighs 4lbs, 2 0z. The specs on the Stiletto 1 says it weighs 2.31 lbs. Still, I don't want a tent named after a pair of high heel shoes! Call me crazy.

Slammer

12:01 p.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Too dang heavy of a tent there stiletto.

8:32 p.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,359 forum posts

A stiletto is a particular style of knife, characterized by its very thin, sharp-pointed blade, generally without a cutting edge. The shoe style with a very thin, sharp-pointed heel stole its name from the knife. When I was much younger, they were referred to as "stiletto heels". The knife was very popular in the 18th and 19th Centuries, since it could be easily concealed. Originally, it was a knight's secondary weapon, used for executing the coup de grace on your fallen opponent.

9:08 p.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

A stiletto is a particular style of knife, characterized by its very thin, sharp-pointed blade, generally without a cutting edge. The shoe style with a very thin, sharp-pointed heel stole its name from the knife. When I was much younger, they were referred to as "stiletto heels". The knife was very popular in the 18th and 19th Centuries, since it could be easily concealed. Originally, it was a knight's secondary weapon, used for executing the coup de grace on your fallen opponent.

I know.......... Some women have tried but I was too quick.

9:09 p.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

Welcome Slammer,

Man, you read back a ways huh? I always liked that episode, I watched parts of it multiple times

I thought Les had a MH tent on that trip, but I wasn't sure.

I currently have a MH Sprite 1 for a winter solo shelter, and a Hennessy Ultralight hammock for warmer months.

The Sprite weighs 3 lbs - 7oz

The Hennessy weighs 1 lb - 15oz

The Stiletto & the Sprite are similar in size, I looked at both. Mine has an all screen inner tent and a full rain fly. I like the Sprite but it is snug, and I don't see how a bigger person would like it, it would be pretty tight. I do like the L shape mine has because it gives you room for your flashlight, water, and other stuff you might want to keep in the tent with you.

I almost bought a Kelty Gunnison last year myself, the price was good but I just ended up buying other things. Somebody once said their favorite tent was the one keeping them dry, you know.

Catch a Steelhead for me.

November 24, 2014
Quick Reply