Liquid fuel stove bottles

12:49 a.m. on August 3, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Hello, I just bought new MSR DragonFly stove and I need fuel bottle. Maybe there is some difference between MSR, Primus, Optimus and Brunton fuel bottles? they all have the same threading? I thinking about one liter or 33oz. bottle, but know that Primus make 1.5 liter. This stove I will use in Asia long term trip. There big benefit to buy 1.5 liter bottle?

5:36 a.m. on August 3, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

I never noticed what brand of bottle I used, and have several different makes. They all work on my MRS Firefly stove (an excellent predecessor to your fire beast), but it has been years since my last purchase of said bottles.

There is one advantage, possibly two, of getting a larger bottle. One unquestionable advantage concerns maintaining optimal fuel flow to the stove. Liquid fuel stoves rely on pressure to deliver fuel to the stove. Since stove fuels in liquid form are not compressible, the pressure is generated by compressing the air present inside the fuel bottle. The larger the volume of air is inside the bottle, the bigger reserve of compressed air available to drive fuel delivery, thus the longer the stove can operate without being re-pumped, and the more even the fuel delivery is while the stove is operating. This is especially apparent when using the simmer mode of the stove. These physics are why the stove user manual advises against completely filling the fuel bottle. You can validate this point by operating the stove with a half filled fuel bottle, then attempt operating it with an almost completely filled bottle. You will experience a noticeable difference in ease of operation.

Another possible advantage of a larger bottle is longer burn times between refills. The question beckons: do most of us need a bottle that permits hours of stove use between refills. Not really. But we tend to overfill our large bottle when going on trips requiring more fuel, rather than bringing along a second bottle. Ergo we end up with sub par stove performance until some of the fuel is consumed. Thus the real advantage of the larger bottle in this regard is as a larger secondary bulk storage vessel for extended trips.
Ed

10:20 p.m. on August 3, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I don't think that it matters too terribly much with the brand, but I went ahead and got a matching brand (MSR bottle) for my MSR Whisperlite. I like to keep same brands together.

11:39 p.m. on August 3, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

By the way, I found that MSR 1liter bottle weight 7.3 ounces and Primus 1.5liter bottle 7.5 ounces (212gram). I found more review and I will choose Primus 1.5, becouse is lightweight, no leaks problem (new msr with childproof have some problem...), strong and what I found it fit on all MSR stoves.

Thx for comments

4:11 p.m. on August 6, 2010 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

I hate to say it ozas but the weight diff between the two brands is made up in just the slight variations in weight in such a mass produced item.Also the plus or minus of any scale needs to be thrown into the task of finding the diff.I guess what iam saying,for me,one tenth of an ounce just does not come into play when iam chooseing gear.ymmv

11:49 p.m. on August 6, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I don't say that this small weight diff is very importantly to me, I'm not professional and not alpinist, but choosing Primus 1.5l I get almost the same price and weight and get extra half fuel capacity. for me is doesn't matter that fuel bottle will be Primus and stove MSR.

2:31 p.m. on September 30, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
153 forum posts

If you need the extra capacity one big bottle is lighter and more compact than two smaller ones. If you are spending time above the treeline and melting snow for water, using the stove as the sole means of water purification or bringing nothing but freeze dried food, a second bottle is the safe way to go. I had a bottle that leaked on a trip due to a small dent in the rim that happended during transport. I ended up loosing half of my bottle overnight. The bottle didn't start leaking right away as it was right side up in my pack. When I set my pack down for the night, the bottle started to leak. Also, although unlikely, it is possible to accidently spill the bottle when you are setting the stove up. If you have a second bottle, a spill wouldn't be a total disaster.

If the stove is a nice to have, but not totally essential item I would bring one bottle.

3:24 p.m. on October 3, 2010 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

I thought I heard someplace that MSR was modifying their bottle lip so that they would be more exclusive to their pump... correct me here.

I always buy the company's bottle for the stove. Habit more than anything.

1:31 p.m. on October 6, 2010 (EDT)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Hello

One thing to remember, with the very small bottles that came out in the last few years (350ml?), is that not all pumps will fit inside. For the Primus pumps, the smallest Primus bottle actually comes with a special end-cap, which you fit instead of the normal one, allowing the pump to screw all the way on.

Jon

1:41 p.m. on October 6, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I thought I heard someplace that MSR was modifying their bottle lip so that they would be more exclusive to their pump... correct me here.

I always buy the company's bottle for the stove. Habit more than anything.

That would be just like MSR. And infuriating.

2:02 p.m. on October 6, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

edit: accidentally commented in the wrong thread :/

12:19 a.m. on October 9, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I guess it does not bother me that companies are making their items more proprietary, as they are in the business to make money, though it may make it more inconvenient and/or more expensive for the consumers. But hey, I like to stick with the same brand for matching items anyway.

After using my MSR bottle with my Whisperlite, I used a buddy's non-MSR bottle, and to be quite honest, I liked the construction and feel of the MSR better anyway. But, that's just me and my opinion.

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply