Who's watching Dual Survival?

9:55 p.m. on August 13, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,561 forum posts

I have to admit I like the show, call it entertainment, reality, staged, whatever, I still enjoy watching.

The occasional interpersonal conflict reminds me so much of me and a good friend of mine.

10:01 p.m. on August 13, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,561 forum posts

Just bumping this post above the spam.

12:29 a.m. on August 14, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,078 forum posts

Though I don't condone imbibing--I use root beer--I submit the following...

Team 1: Drink every time Dave says the phrase "bush hippie crap"

Team 2: Drink every time Cody says "I'll set up camp"

Wildcard: Everyone drinks when:

-Outside of the credits, someone mentions Cody's "barefootedness"

-Dave eats Cody's gathered food, then belittles his effort.

10:05 a.m. on August 14, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

I've seen a little. I liked the "green house" design of the cold weather shelter. Barefoot for 20 years? Pass! Even Native Americans could bring themselves to use moccasins. I saw part of another show with a couple. I don't know her background, but I recognized the guy from another show. Ex US special forces, jungle warfare guy .

11:35 a.m. on August 14, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I watch them all, for lack of anything better to watch. Beyond Survival airs on the 27th, Les is a little more on target. At least most everyone can use the tips he talks about, unlike Bear. Man/Woman Wild....too much honey this and honey that. But again I still watch the Alaska Experiment over and over.

1:04 p.m. on August 14, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I have seen them all. I watch anything with bush crafting, survival. I also check out Canterbury's youtube channel. The pathfinderschool on youtube.

I am even tinkering with a few projects. Handmade fire is kicking my butt.

I am going to do a three day hike with some of the local Indians to a remote area with some petroglyphs that I have never seen. Maybe they know how to make fire without a lighter. The catch in the desert it's hard to source good supplies to start one. We have plenty of dry material but we don't have a lot of good wood at lower elevation.

1:33 p.m. on August 14, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I enjoy watching all of those type of shows: Suvivorman, Man Vs Wild, Dual Survival, and Man Woman Wild. I find them all a bit entertaining and actually do pick up a good thing or two.

As for Dual Survival, I think it is neat to see two people with such different methods to what they are doing. Seeing/hearing the different mentalities is funny at times.

3:11 p.m. on August 14, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Yeah, they are all fun to watch. Its funny, im watching man vs wild as i speak. lol.

8:45 a.m. on August 15, 2010 (EDT)
51 reviewer rep
71 forum posts

I like to watch it, its a good show. I even learn something.

8:15 p.m. on August 15, 2010 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Watched for the first time last night. I kinda liked it.

9:23 p.m. on August 15, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,078 forum posts

I think its a funny, entertaining show. I particularly enjoy it when Dave gets pissed at Cody over something, then stews in his own juices about it 'cause Cody's a FREAKIN' HAAS!! (see the desert episode when Cody decides "I'm drinking this water whether you want to or not")

8:56 p.m. on August 16, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

That water looked soooooo nasty! I am with Dave on that one all the way! I don't think the risk is worth the reward, unless you have a camera crew to help you out of where ever you are!

9:05 p.m. on August 16, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,561 forum posts

Yeah, I believe I could strain most of that out, let it settle, and boil.

A tea bag might help with the taste too, but I guess they don't carry one of those.

10:24 p.m. on August 16, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Yea I like to watch it, mostly for the entertainment value and because its a lot better that most the things that come on tv.

1:17 a.m. on August 17, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

What do you guys think about the one where Dave "hunted" an alligator? I personally thought that one took quite a bit of intestinal fortitude.

2:54 a.m. on August 17, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,078 forum posts

Regarding Cody's GI tract: I bet he's had all the nasties so many times, he's built up an immunity of sorts. If he takes his "off the grid" approach far enough, I'd expect him to abandon modern "water purification" whenever possible, which, in Arizona, may or may not be often. I'd bet he didn't feel any ill effects after drinking that water...maybe another benefit of having crazy-powerful mitochondria, hehe.

2:39 p.m. on August 17, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

I nearly laughed my arse off when dave supposedly called a turkey in and took it with that bush-made arrow!

3:24 p.m. on August 17, 2010 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

I must admit i watch a little of all of them.Looking forward to Les making a return,most beleivable of them all.It is only tv not rocket science so i feel one must take it for what it is,entertainment.

4:50 p.m. on August 17, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,561 forum posts

What do you guys think about the one where Dave "hunted" an alligator? I personally thought that one took quite a bit of intestinal fortitude.

The alligators I have been around are pretty docile, well, until you grab it by the tail I guess, which I have not done. I agree though, that was risky.

I was also impressed with the arrow Dave made to take the Turkey.

I tend to think Cody's approach of collecting edibles and other food sources that can't attack you is more realistic for the most part. One of the local lake islands I camp on has alligators and fresh water clams, I personally would stick with the clams as long as possible.

6:01 p.m. on August 17, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

When you read the fine print that they show , some situtations have been arranged to show what could be done if you were between a rock and a hard place. It is all scripted, I'm sure.

1:14 a.m. on August 18, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I used to wakeboard in some waters (Bushy Park, Goose Creek, SC) that had a LOT of gators. Some of them I would estimate were about 10 feet long, but we all did our best to STAY AWAY from them. I guess I have only seen some pretty big gators and would NEVER go after them. But I am not an experienced "gator hunter"!

11:42 a.m. on August 18, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,561 forum posts

Bushy Park has a lot of gators D&G!

The local swamps, backwaters, and lakes Marion & Moultrie hold some very large gators. I have seen some with middles as big as restaurant garbage cans. They have never acted aggressive towards me as long as I keep my distance.

We have named one of them Stumpy, he / she hangs out near the islands in Lake Moultrie.

I agree that Dual Survivor is probably heavily scripted, no one would want to watch two guys just sitting on the ground complaining, we want to see how it's "done".

So I just watch these types of shows with that in mind and enjoy the skills presented. Viewers just have to keep in mind you can't become proficient at self defense from a book or video, same with survival I guess, you need to practice it. Also many people are not in that kind of physical shape so things done on the shows are unrealistic for the average person. I think they are just presenting what is possible like Mike Cipriani says.

Scripted or not, most people don't have their skills, but seem to enjoy making fun of these guys, or maybe it's just that they think scripted means completely fake.

1:22 p.m. on August 19, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I used to go boating and wakeboarding at Lake Moultrie also. Stopped going as much when in 2007, I think, a gator took a mans hand for lunch. But yes the ones in Bushy park are VERY large. I have actually seen one try to take a bit out of a boat trailer on the boat ramp!

2:17 p.m. on August 19, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,561 forum posts

Well you are correct, there have been several incidents here locally.

One thing that has always bothered me is watching people swimming near the boat landing I go to. If you look to the right of the landing which is located in a canal leading out to the lake, you will often see large gators sunning on the banks. The canals, islands, and swampy areas of the lake hold gators. I still have a lot to learn about the area myself, but I'm floored by the amount of young people who treat it like the community pool.

Beautiful place though, with a lot of possibilities for adventures.

I think that's another reason I like the TV shows, I like getting a chance to see other parts of the world so I have a visual understanding of what they are like. My experiences are limited to the Southeast.

5:50 p.m. on August 21, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I just saw the epsiode last night where Dave makes a makeshift arrowhead from a broken bottle. I can't believe he actually hit the turkey. Then after hitting it, it did not die, so he chased it down and killed it with his bare hands (well, I guess he did have gloves on)! That was pretty amazing and even looked pretty darned real.

8:15 p.m. on August 21, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,561 forum posts

I sure wish I could do that. That would Make Thanksgiving a possibility.

Be a real pilgrim.

9:15 p.m. on August 21, 2010 (EDT)
51 reviewer rep
71 forum posts

Last nights show (friday the 20th) was good.

I would hate to walk thru that water in brazil, and with no shoes.

I also liked the sinking canoe.

Thanks

4:10 p.m. on August 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

I'm not trying to start any arguments but I believe Les is the one who got caught sleeping in a motel when he was supposed to be stranded in "The Desert" and that is why they took his show off the air. Besides when your watching his shows and you catch houses and cruise ships in the background you know its somewhat staged. Plus who is really going to carry there camera 300 yards down trail, set it up, walk back 300 yards just to show you how "Badass" he really is because he doesnt need a camera crew. Bear Grylls i dont know about him either did you see when he climbed that 300' railroad bridge threw a 30# log chain around the railing and climbed up that, i mean who would do that, if its not a fake then he is totally the man. I do like watching all the shows though but i believe dual survival has become my favorite.

11:30 p.m. on August 22, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I think the bow fishing for Piranha was pretty neat. The boat was a big mistake but it worked out. You have to be freaked out wading around in water when you’re on the menu.

2:39 p.m. on October 8, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

I used to go boating and wakeboarding at Lake Moultrie also. Stopped going as much when in 2007, I think, a gator took a mans hand for lunch. But yes the ones in Bushy park are VERY large. I have actually seen one try to take a bit out of a boat trailer on the boat ramp!

I think he took an entire arm if I remember correctly. I have seen a couple monsters on that lake near Sandy Beach area. Freaked out my buddy from Maine once or twice, which was a hoot to watch. The largest I have seen is about a twenty footer or three in the Savannah Wildlife refuge, north of the road that divides the refuge in half. Word has it they ship the big ones from the surrounding areas as they get too large.

I like watching these shows, but it's not nearly as fun as getting out there and putting that knowlege to use. Seems like I get a strong urge to load up a pack and plan a trip every time one of these shows comes on.

7:09 p.m. on October 8, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

Bear was the one caught in the motel. Just wanted to add that in.

2:18 p.m. on October 22, 2010 (EDT)
36 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Does any one remember that series about a guy who went to alaska and tried to stay for a predetermined length of time and all he did was cry like a baby the whole time. All the while I was watching that I was reminded about the man who spent the better part of his life alone in alaska. Often seen on public t.v. during their money drives.

4:26 p.m. on October 22, 2010 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
4,359 forum posts

I still can't see Cody all the time with no shoes. Must get cold at times!

9:32 p.m. on October 23, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

Brad, are you referring to the movie with the man who was flown in by plane and was there for at least one winter (that I can recall), and at one point had mice inside his hut, which he ended up cooking and eating? If so, do you recall the name? I was actually searching for this movie the other day. Havent seen it since I was about 13-15 years old.

11:13 p.m. on October 23, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,561 forum posts

Brad, are you referring to the movie with the man who was flown in by plane and was there for at least one winter (that I can recall), and at one point had mice inside his hut, which he ended up cooking and eating? If so, do you recall the name? I was actually searching for this movie the other day. Havent seen it since I was about 13-15 years old.

The film you are thinking of is  Never Cry Wolf, released in 1983.

11:55 a.m. on October 24, 2010 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
4,359 forum posts

Have you seen the recent Farley Mowat adaptation about the guy who is a bush pilot in the Northwest Territory after WWII that picks up a Inuit girl to fly her out to Yellowknife to the hospital. Then the plane crashes and she teaches him how to survive in the wilderness? I can't remember the name.

Farley Mowat wrote the book Never Cry Wolf.

December 25, 2014
Quick Reply