zion subway

1:31 p.m. on August 18, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Is anyone going to the Zion Subway anytime between august 25th and august 28th. If so and you have some room on your permit i would love to join you. I have all my own gear and will pack all of my necessities. I am hoping for the shorter day hike from the bottom and back out as i am not a canyoneer or rappeler. I sure hope someone is i would love to do this but all permits are filled for that time period.

1:55 p.m. on August 18, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,086 forum posts

Again go to Yahoo groups and see if anyone at the group Zion_National_Park_Hiking and ask there about possible hiking partners or others with permits for the Subway.

10:35 p.m. on August 19, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

Do note that same day permits are available; however, you still should team up with somone for this type of venture, especially given your lack of outdoor experience. There are at least two pretty decent adventure guide companies in Springdale who may be able to accomodate your needs, or at least provide detailed information:
Zion Rock & Mountain Guides

Zion Adventure Company

Ed

2:43 p.m. on August 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Thanks Ed,

I did contact the above mentioned companies and although they were able to give me some advice they are not allowed to do any tour inside of Zion, It looks like im back to square one, deciding whether i sit at the trailhead to wildcat canyon and wait for a small group going from the top in or sitting at the trailhead to go from the bottom in. Either way i will have all of my gear i will need to do one or the other. I really want to go from the top down and from what i hear it is very simple but i will not go at it alone, the bad thing is if i sit at the trailhead on wildcat canyon and no one shows up or a group is to large then i blew my chance to use my permit for that day. Im just hoping some one pops up on here and or zion yahoo groups page and says hey youre welcome to tag along with us. Wishful thinking I guess. We will see keep your fingers crossed for me.

3:17 p.m. on August 21, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,086 forum posts

Check the ranger station and maybe put a note of the bulletin board at the Campground looking to join other Subway hikers. Also ask at the Zion Adventure Company about other going.

4:06 p.m. on August 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Definately when i go get my permit im gonna hang out for a little while and see if anyone else comes to get theres, thats a good idea to post a note on the board though, i talked to the ZAC and they didnt mention anyone but maybe ill call back a little closer to the 31st. Ive also posted comments on the yahoogroup page you mentioned and havent got any replies, the bad thing is i leave monday and dont know how often i can check here there or my email to see if anyone has tried contacting me. Maybe noone wants to take a noob down to the subway! LOL

4:56 p.m. on August 21, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,086 forum posts

Are you carrying your laptop? Or there is a library near the south entrance at the north end of Springdale with desktop PC's and if you acrry your laptop you can get online there too. And there is a place near the south entrance station with wifi but its like $5 a hour. And you can get wifi outside most all the business's in Springdale and outside the library I mentioned above.

8:46 a.m. on August 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

thanks again Garry!

August 2, 2014
Quick Reply