Hunters or the Occult

3:01 p.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

The local woods here are said to be really old and full of local myths. The locals say covens, ghosts and evil spirits walk the woods. Plus, Germany is famous for their scary fairy tales. The woods are very creepy at night and the trees make creepy sounds. The owls do ask questions, but mainly who. Yes, we love to scare ourselves with night hikes. One time I dropped my hat in the middle of the trail. When I went back to get it 10 minutes later, someone placed it on a fence pole. No one was there, because they would have passed us. Well..I was hiking in the woods this weekend in a new area, and came upon a little mystery in the middle of nowhere. I first found this hunters' look out

SAM_0504.jpg
But then I noticed some weird objects next to the lookout

SAM_0500.jpg

SAM_0501.jpg
And then the blood covered pole

SAM_0502.jpg

SAM_0503.jpg

So does anybody else have any creepy tales from their adventures?

SAM_0499.jpg

I love an endless trail...
SAM_0505.jpg
I found another hunter's perch, I also sat here for my lunch.

The view from my perch...

SAM_0506.jpg
I would love to hear some of your tales....

4:32 p.m. on April 1, 2011 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

hey D-Dog,  your hat magically apprearing on a fence pole is crazy! i bet you  got the chills from that one.

the bloody poles are probably just the hunters cleaning out their kill right...

4:46 p.m. on April 1, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I came up on an old cemetery in the woods once, and there I found a group of robed and hooded figures in the center of the grassy area. They turned and looked at me but didn't say anything.

I left quickly.

5:00 p.m. on April 1, 2011 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

sounds like you were almost their next human sacrafice Gonzan...yikes!

5:17 p.m. on April 1, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

The blood covered pole looks to be a stump with a salt lick or a nature block on top of it which is used to attract game such as deer. Not sure what was used to paint it(I suppose for marking purposes.) Its definitely not blood. If it was it would have more of a brownish tone to it.... unless of courese it was fresh. Being that there is no "gloss" to it I doubt it is fresh. Also, I can't understand why someone would mark a salt lick in this manner because animals can really tell it has been "altered" and it would substantially decrease its effectiveness. Lol :)

5:24 p.m. on April 1, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

The whole region where I live is litter with Celtic ruins. The mountain next to my village has the remains of a walled Celtic city. There is even a smaller version of stonehenge in the next town. The Celts lived here, followed by the Germanic barbarians and Romans. So, our area is extremely old and full of myths. We have extremely ancient ruins to include castles. My village is about 2000 years old. Signs of ancient religions are abundant. I know the Wiccans and Druids are in the area, since I have walked up on them and had conversations.  The German's use to worship "The Green Man", which is a nature god. You can see carvings of his face just about everywhere. I guess all this sets the mood for the beautiful, but mysterious and ancient natural areas in our state.

I do know how to hype things up with the family though. One favorite activity of our family is to hike right before dark after lots of snow with old lanterns. It can be quite magical. My daughter thinks it is something out of some old German fairytale.

Gonzan-happy you made it out of there!!!

5:41 p.m. on April 1, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
754 reviewer rep
679 forum posts

Here is a previous post that tells of an unsolved mystery not far from where I am now...

7:59 p.m. on April 1, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I'm on the Oregon coast, and wicks is the biggest religion but you would never know it. One must talk to the people around here to know. There is some strange happenings around here. I have danced with a (ghost) before.

12:41 a.m. on April 2, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

But then I noticed some weird objects...

SAM_0501.jpg
..the blood covered pole....

The pole has something to do with bunga bunga.  Don't ask, don't tell, and decline if invited to participate!

Ed

11:23 p.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
122 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

Tennessee or out of state?

2:08 p.m. on April 8, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Germany.

9:15 a.m. on April 9, 2011 (EDT)
122 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

Gonzan, in what state did you happen across these figures in the cemetery?

4:27 p.m. on April 9, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
610 forum posts

I found a completly abandoned mansion once in my hikes. I've got some old pictures on my other computer I'll have to put up. Not nearly as creepy as hooded men!....but gave me the chills none the less.

7:45 p.m. on April 10, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

N2DW,

That was in Southeastern Tennessee

9:54 p.m. on April 10, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

I came up on an old cemetery in the woods once, and there I found a group of robed and hooded figures in the center of the grassy area. They turned and looked at me but didn't say anything.

I left quickly.

That might have been a Moon Pie & RC Cola ceremony.

If not....that's creepy for sure.

6:40 a.m. on April 11, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

Gonzan,

If that was near Sevierville, I may know some of the folks you saw.

2:12 p.m. on April 11, 2011 (EDT)
122 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

I focus alot of my activities in that region.

8:52 a.m. on April 12, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

OMW, it was in Harrison, TN.

N2DW, I see you've got a photo of the TN river gorge from Prentice Cooper- I live over on Signal, just a long day hike from that spot. Do you live in the Chattanooga area?

8:02 p.m. on April 14, 2011 (EDT)
122 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

Gonzan,

I live very close to Monteagle Mountain - Sewanee, TN. Your about an 40-60 minutes from here.

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply