Lemonade?

2:20 p.m. on May 15, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
624 forum posts

On a short day hike yesterday I came upon an unusual sight......lemons, 78 of em. (Yes I counted, I had too!). Now I wasn't extremly far into the bush but nor was I close to a road, probably about 2 maybe 2 1/2 hours away from any road.

So I'm thinking 2 things could have happened-

1) There is a worldwide shortage of lemons and the Ontario gov't has decided to improve their exportations by planting in the backcountry despite the completly wrong ecology.

2) Someone loves lemonade enough to lug almost 80 lemons in.

I started thinking and I think I'm on to something here....how about- Ontario "Lemon Capital of the World". I'm seeing a huge demand for lemon tourism, lemon pins, action figures, etc..

Trailspacers I'd love to hear your feedback- either on my lemon buisness, (any marketing advice?), or whats is the weirdest thing you've ever seen in the backcountry?......

3:04 p.m. on May 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

So, I'm assuming your up in the "other part of North America" ;-}> , Just kidding.  I'm assuming you did not find these "lemons" on a tree.  Even if you had a tree addapted to the Canadian outback it would be the wrong time of the year for lemons.  There's a deal in the desert where people haul in all kinds of stuff and then call it art.  I still call it littering.  Could the Canadian Gov. be testing out a new type of covert weapon?   Dump a bunch of lemons in enemy territory and the war will stop and all will drink lemonade.  The Speculation could go on forever.  Did they fall aout of a plane?  Did a psyco bear steal them from somewhere and stash them?  Could be Johnny is stashing his lemons and geting ready for a lemonaide stand in the backcountry to service all the thursty hikers/backpackers?  My mind is a buzz so I'll stop here and see what you all will come up with.  Oh yea, did you take and with you and make lemonaid or a lemon meringue pie?

12:41 a.m. on May 16, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Im guessing sombody thru them out there as bait. Just what would like Lemons? Your guess would be good as mine. Ive herd of people throwing Apples in an area on a regular basis to attract Dear and Elk for hunting season. I believe its illegal for hunting purposes, and at the least not a very sporting or ethical way to hunt IMO

11:38 a.m. on May 16, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Im guessing sombody thru them out there as bait. Just what would like Lemons? Your guess would be good as mine. Ive herd of people throwing Apples in an area on a regular basis to attract Dear and Elk for hunting season. I believe its illegal for hunting purposes, and at the least not a very sporting or ethical way to hunt IMO

Alot of people(hunters) set up nature blocks/salt licks, etc in the off season. Granted it is illegal during hunting season itself. I know a few people in Wv. that set up feeders and nature blocks during spring and summer. They put trailcams in the area for purposes of monitoring deer(and raccoons at times.) Gives them a better idea of what they are looking for when the season comes.

I use to be an avid hunter. As time has passed I have come to the point that I like to take my rifle for a walk. I am just as, if not more content sitting in my stand watching deer etc. I'm more of an observer than a hunter.

4:57 p.m. on May 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
595 forum posts

That is part of a five million dollar study developed in Ottawa to determine whether a wolf that cannot whistle is dangerous.

Next week they will send Miss Neepawa, Manitoba (2007), into the woods wearing only her lingerie/Union-suit to test the results of the lemons.

1:54 a.m. on May 17, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh - Im about the same way these days. I used to do alot of hunting, but after really thinking bout it, what I enjoyed most about the whole thing was just being out there and watching all the various wildlife. So Ive put down the rifle and bow and just carry the binocs. I still very much enjoy hunting with glass. 

2:47 a.m. on May 17, 2011 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

This is a lemon of a story

7:37 a.m. on May 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,247 reviewer rep
624 forum posts

Unfortunatly apeman I left my Kitchenaid at home for this short dayhike, I of course, bring it on extended trips, and was unable to make a nice meringue!

12:46 p.m. on May 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Get a plastic juicer sold at any cooking store. Make sure ya roll lemons around in your hand a bit to soften them up before ya start "squishing" them. :)

Hmmmm... I can see MSR coming out with a juicer accessory for the miniworks filter... I may go tear mine apart and see if I can get r done.

Maybe I can shove lemon bits into the pump of the filter. I like pulp and I don't think .2 micron filter will let that happen so I would have to remove the actual filter to get pulp but if I use stream water I would have to filter water 1st and then remove the filter element for the pulp process. Then again maybe I can....

Off to the funny farm again. Woo-hoo.

1:53 p.m. on May 18, 2011 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

They were thrown out of a bush plane that was overweight. There was still snow on the ground so it cushioned the impact to leave the lemons looking as if they had been gently dropped around the area. The cold snow and then cold temperatures kept them looking fresh until you came upon them.

:)

2:09 p.m. on May 18, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,159 forum posts

This thread reminds me of those outdoor puzzles you have to figure out by asking Yes/No questions:

You come across a cabin in the woods. A man is dead. What happened?

2:14 p.m. on May 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

This thread reminds me of those outdoor puzzles you have to figure out with Yes/No questions:

My answer is "yes." If he has lemons then I would say "no." :p

3:43 p.m. on May 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,339 reviewer rep
261 forum posts

Hmm. Maybe the man had a juicer problem. Guess that would make him a dead wringer.

7:22 p.m. on May 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,247 reviewer rep
624 forum posts

The man had a severe allergy to lemons?

7:53 p.m. on May 18, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,159 forum posts

Nope. Nothing to do with lemons, though I guess putting the puzzle in this thread was a red herring.

This is the set-up:

Then you have to ask questions that can be answered Yes/No until you get to the right solution. It works a lot better when you're actually with the people playing.

8:25 p.m. on May 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Nope. Nothing to do with lemons, though I guess putting the puzzle in this thread was a red herring.

This is the set-up:

Then you have to ask questions that can be answered Yes/No until you get to the right solution. It works a lot better when you're actually with the people playing.

Are there oranges? :)

9:17 p.m. on May 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,247 reviewer rep
624 forum posts

Hahaha I think Rick has a future as a detective.

9:58 p.m. on May 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

My major was criminal justice...

10:21 a.m. on May 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Troubling ... very troubling ....

NoSmo King

10:24 a.m. on May 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Alicia said:

This is the set-up:

"What happened?"

Easy ....

You came upon a cabin in the woods and a dead man.

"...Duh ... d'oh ...."  ( *insert appropriate virtual 'smilie', since website does not allow / permit )

NoSmo King

12:22 p.m. on May 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Was his ultimate demise caused by a citric acid overdose? Say from consuming around 80 lemons?

8:58 a.m. on May 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Also ... could be that the man locked himself out of the cabin, and expired due to exposure.

NoSmo King

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply