REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

To start, I offer my Pivetta Article 8s:

Look at that patina...

DSCN0455.jpg

DSCN0452.jpg

DSCN0451.jpg

That's with about 300 miles on them...in other words, barely broken in...

2:16 a.m. on June 2, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

!!Boot prOn!!  OH man thats classic! ROFLMAO!

3:56 p.m. on June 3, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

what about original socks to go with that ?

12:35 p.m. on June 4, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

I had to ask someone what pron was, now that I'm enlightened here are a few photos of my current backpacking boots & accessories.

Alicosport Summits - 2.8mm oil tanned FGL, leather liner, half shank, Norwegian welt with Vibram Montagna Block soles.

Made in Italy

Size- 9.5 wide

Weight- 4lb 6oz

Superfeet Green footbeds

Wigwam Comfort Hiker wool socks

Wigwam Cool Max liner socks

Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP waterproofer

Murrays Petrolatum & Bees Wax (a hair pomade that I use to condition my feet, also works great to prevent chapped skin, lips, etc.)

SDC10023.jpg

SDC10020.jpg

SDC10022.jpg

SDC10021.jpg

Have a great day.

2:03 p.m. on June 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

Everyone knows boot pron. It's like molasses - if you haven't had any yet, you can't ask for "mo", so you request "lasses". Just so, when you know someone will be drooling over your boots (rather than drooling on his own shoes, which is another problem), you warn them that a pron will be necessary.

Grammar aside, here is some more Boot Pron.

threebootssmall.jpg
(L-to-R)That is one of the original Danner 6490's with leather-lining, then an old Vasque with all eyelets (I like eyelets), and lastly, my daily walker, an old Vasque, also leather-lined. All made in Italy, none require or have padded insoles; they are perfectly comfortable with your foot right on the stitched leather.

Now some Pivettas

Pivetta8andMuirsmall.jpg

The boot on the left is a Pivetta 8 - nuff said. The boot on the right is a Pivetta "Muir Trail" (variant). The Muir Trail is split-grain and not single-piece upper, so I wore that for a year as an every day shoe and found its leather lining incredibly comfortable. I don't consider it a backpacking boot.

2:20 p.m. on June 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

trouthunter

where did you get your alico boots? i have not seen them available in a wide widths before. i have been looking for a pair of double telemark ski boots and alico is the only company that still makes them, at least as far as i can find. sierra trading post has them on closeouts but they don't list widths. appreciate any help you can give me.

3:50 p.m. on June 5, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

I got mine on Sierra Trading Post lazya4.

I don't really know what the deal is with Sierra Trading Post and Alicosport, STP has been selling their boots for many years. It's like STP is the US Dealer for Alicosport.

When I got mine widths were listed along with sizes. Looked like this in the drop down list:

9W

9.5W

12:22 a.m. on June 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

trouthunter

thanks that is useful info. i found it odd that stp was the only one that seemed to have alicosport boots. so maybe they are the us dealer. i had an older pair of alico ski boots and they were very nice. they were a little large and i ended up selling them. thanks again for your help.

2:49 p.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

Hey overmywaders, have you ever come across a pair of Pivetta Spiders? Any idea where I could find a picture of them?

5:15 p.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

1979 Lowa-Model unknown

I bought these back in 1979 after my first pair (also LOWA) were stolen from a campus locker room after a game of Racketball.  I don't know the model but these were the top of the line model.  I got these (top fo the line) because I pair that I lost were out of stock and as they are German made there was no way to tell if there were more avaliable (in "the before time" there were no computers).  I don't even know the size though I would guess 42.5 and very wide.  Wood soles with a full fiberglass shank and Vibrum tread wiuth metal lugs in the heel.  This was the first year they used fiberglass shanks as the metal shanks drained the foot of much need warmth as well as having no give.  If I remember right they wanted a balance of mostly ridgid for ice climbing, but a slight amount of give cause you still had to walk to the ice as well as saving heat.  Notice the "velcro closures on the top front, rare in the day.  I still have trouble with them as I have a wide foot with a narrow heal and these have a very wide heal.  In this day of what I consider mostly throw away boot's I may just see if I can get them to fit better.  I have used them quite a bit but I have not found a combination of socks that I can use with these boots that allow me to hike/backpack blister free.

DSC03958.jpg

DSC03959.jpg

DSC03960.jpg

DSC03961.jpg

9:01 p.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Gosh, Brian ... perhaps (?) you might try these things called, LACES to aid in fitment of your boots.

(Sorry -- couldn't resist.   * Insert *wink* smilie .... ).

Cool pair of Lowa's.   Kinda resemble one of my pairs of Fabiano's -- the mountaineering jobs.    "Herman Munster Designer Series".   I get teased a lot.   Screw 'em.   Interestingly, I usually get the "last laugh".  

~r2~

9:13 p.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Thanks Robert, I wore the first pair for five years as daily shoes and not only were they the only (real) boots that I have ever had fit me to date, they looked just as good as these  boots.  These were made to last a life time unlike almost everything else made today.  Though heavy, after just a couple of weeks I got used to them and would forget I had them on except that we were not allowed to wear them when driving in drivers ed.  I have come to love them as one loves a problem child.  I guess its time to see if I can get some heal incerts for these.  Any leads would be appreciated.

7:10 a.m. on June 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

pillow,

If you mean Pivetta tactical rock shoes, here are some photos.

PClimbing1.jpg
PClimbing5.jpg

PClimbing2.jpg

PClimbing7.jpg

1:42 p.m. on June 16, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

Those are the ones!! One day...

11:05 p.m. on June 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

Danger, Pillowthread, Danger!

Pivetta Eiger's are on ebay right now. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260807815189&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Size 10.5 Eu means 11.5 US. And the AA means narrow heel, not narrow ball of foot. Weird stuff, eh.

Nice boots.

11:25 p.m. on June 25, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

Oh yeah, I seen 'em...the photos show they're marked as a 10.5...so you say that a "10.5" inside a Pivetta boot is an EU (UK?) size measurement? My 8s are marked 10.5 and they feel every bit of a US 10.5...

1:50 a.m. on June 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Scarpa SL M3s 46BX
2011-06-21_14-55-04_985.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

2:18 a.m. on June 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

apeman said:

Thanks Robert, I wore the first pair for five years as daily shoes and not only were they the only (real) boots that I have ever had fit me to date, they looked just as good as these  boots.  These were made to last a life time unlike almost everything else made today.  Though heavy, after just a couple of weeks I got used to them and would forget I had them on except that we were not allowed to wear them when driving in drivers ed.  I have come to love them as one loves a problem child.  I guess its time to see if I can get some heal incerts for these.  Any leads would be appreciated.

Try Dave Page. He handles alot of work for the top companies. He does work for Lowa as well.

http://www.davepagecobbler.com/

5:28 a.m. on June 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Thanks Rick, by the way nice buy on those boots.  I woulda got them if they were a size 9-10.

10:49 a.m. on June 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Moosejaw has a 42(9US) and a 42.5(9.5US) from what I just saw. They are on sale for $170 out the door(reg $249.) Thats where I bought mine. I was lucky to get the last of the 46s. $80 bucks is a pretty good savings especially for what else is out there at that price($170) for what you are getting in the SL.

I typically wear a 12 US and the 46s are close to a 1/4 size larger than my other size 12 footwear. Just about as perfect as it can get for me (enough length but not overkill.) Its probably the best fitting boot I have had to date w/o dropping the dough on a pair of Van Gorkoms or any other custom out there.

Dave Page is very well respected in the industry.

I noticed Robert mentioned Fabiano boots. They are now a part of Scarpa. Here is a prior thread regarding that discussion.

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/36462.html

1:32 p.m. on June 26, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

Thanks a lot Rick.....now I'm wanting to get another pair of Scarpas.

I have an older pair of well worn Scarpas that I love but are ready to be resoled. If they fit you, great boots.

1:36 p.m. on June 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Glad I could help Mike lol.

8:55 p.m. on June 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Thanks for remembering me, and my interest in Fabiano's.

Great link, Rick.   Appreciate it!

Did you read (re-read?) the post by "DoubleEagle" ?   He claims to have over 50 pairs of boots ( !! ).

Of course, that brings the question:  Why in Heaven's Name would someone NEED 50 pairs of boots ?   There is a personality-disorder called a "FETISH".   I have a feeling this dude is afflicted.

~r2~

9:14 p.m. on June 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Never a problem ;)

50 pairs of boots? I suppose its better than collecting some of the other things that are out there.

I would think that alot of what he has wouldn't fit him being all the different lasts that are out there. I have enough trouble finding 2-3 pairs of different boots that fit well. 50? I wouldn't even consider going on that search.

Hmmmm. Interesting.

10:38 p.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

FYI: I mailed the guy who has these boots listed on ebay and they are exactly 11.5 in measured inside from toe to heal.  These are nice boot's check them out if you think they might fit.   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260807815189&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

11:14 p.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
318 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

This thread is awesome. It's not dirty enough though... I want to see some mud! lol

11:21 p.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Brian I really like those Pivettas. Too bad they are too small or I would jump on them. You have any luck on those SLs you were talkin about?

2:03 a.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

SO....

Thanks to this thread, I went ahead and ordered up my dream boots, a pair of alicosport Tahoe's.

Now what?

I have heard many conflicting things on how to best treat the leather on these boots.  I want them to last many years.  I have heard that sno-seal is terrible for the leather, since it inevitably traps perspiration - and thus salt - in the boot leather.  What is the best way to treat the leather?  Do I even need to bother?

2:12 p.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hands down Obenhauf's Heavy Duty LP. Its the best stuff I have used on the market that is available today. Pricey but once you see how it conditions, protects, waterproofs, maintains, and how long it lasts you will be happy with your purchase. Perfect IMO for the type leather used on your Alicos.

Here is a lil info on the product:

https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=30

It is also available through Amazon.

Boots are expensive compared to what it costs to maintain your investment. I just ordered another 8oz container of this product. I noticed your reference to salt, well this product protects against it as well as a slew of other things that can break down the leather.

Nice purchase on those boots .ghost, happy hiking.

***Oh on a side note, when ya get them muddy brush them off after your trip. Dry mud will suck the moisture and natural oils out of your leather boots.***

7:26 a.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Question.   Rick, you might know the answer ....

If I wish to use the Obenauf LP, how do I remove the SnoSeal I put on a pair about a year ago?

Or, is that not recommended?

Yogi Robt

9:44 a.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,065 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

Question.   Rick, you might know the answer ....

If I wish to use the Obenauf LP, how do I remove the SnoSeal I put on a pair about a year ago?

Or, is that not recommended?

Yogi Robt

Robert from what the site say's. Thats the hardest thing to do is getting sno seal out. www.atsko.com  I would contact them and see what they recommend. They state that the welt seal they use has acetone in it and has to be applied first. I am thinking acetone. But if that contacts any of the glue of your boots their shot.. We used alcohol on the miliatary to strip our old jump boots to draw the leather open to apply wax and to pull the protective layer out of the leather.

11:07 a.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

RR,

As Sno-seal is wax based, the best solvent which would not harm the leather would be pure turps (turpentine). Just saturate a rag with turps and wipe the boot aggressively. This should get most of the Sno-seal off/out without injuring the leather or stitching. Be generous with the turps.

Acetone is a great de-greaser but is so volatile that it would be difficult to keep the rag damp. Also, acetone will remove any oils, including those essential to the leather. Turps, OTOH, is used as an ingredient/carrier/solvent/thinner in many leather-treating applications.

12:16 p.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Since Sno-Seal is wax-based, would exposing the boots to heat work ... such as in the sun, right now, as it is near 90F-degrees ?   Should melt some of it, right?

Better to try this (the sun), than with my handy little Bernz-0-Matic butane torch  ... ( I use it to solder parts on brass music instruments, and to free-up stuck slides, etc ....    Also -- oddly-enough -- in the kitchen when doing flambee's ... easy just to "quiet the flame", and work with lower temps and wider flame-spread).   And, YES ... I know how to keep the torch moving, so as to prevent over-heating and damaging the surfaces.  I've been doing this for over 25 years.

~r2~

12:48 p.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hmmmm. I am kinda leaning towards the turp suggestion being that heat may just cause it to "re-soak" into the leather. 

I know with the Obenhauf's it has been suggested that it can be heated in the microwave(Obenhauf's not the boots :) for 30 seconds prior to application to make it easier to apply and there is the method that once you apply it put the boots in a dark colored garbage bag and tie it off. Then place the bag outside in the sun for the day. It helps the product penetrate into the leather better.

I don't think heat would get ya the results you are looking for. Just mho.

I have 86d the NikWax on the Scarpas I just decided to go with the Obenhauf's. I really like this stuff alot. Granted like I previously stated there is a substantial difference in price of the products but the results I have gotten with the Obenhauf's is better imho.

I just contacted Dave Page in regards to adding a rand to the Scarpas. I am gonna see what they say. I run into alot of rocks here in Pa.

2:25 p.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

I have 86d the NikWax ,,,

Haven't heard that ("86'd") in a while.  

You were in food-service, or a bartender?   (I was both, "back-in-the-day"....).     A term your wife uses ?

~r2~

2:30 p.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I worked in quite a few restaurants while in college. Bussed tables, cooked, dishwasher, etc. I wasn't too picky as far as employment went.

3:09 a.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I pretty much paid my way thru college so I would have shovelled horse crap to survive. Some of these kids nowadays have no clue how good they have it. Uggghhhhhh.

9:04 a.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I once helped to clean out a pig-sty.   Probably THE WORST odor I have ever experienced in my life.    There is a big "86" on that one, for the rest of my life.

~r2~

1:49 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I had a buddy whose family had a slaughter house. That was a nice smell on a hot summer day. Definitely would open up your nasal passages.

3:21 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

looks like we have moved from boots to 'what's the worst job.'

for what it's worth, my lineup of jobs before i went to law school included: working maintenance in a foundry; painting homes; construction (clearing and building on land in Vermont); landscaping; childcare and running the billing at a daycare center; guiding hiking, cycling, and canoe trips (summer camp counselor); a slew of part-time college jobs including food service, third shift maintenance, and running a newsstand; part-time salesperson at Eastern Mountain Sports (store discount to feed my habit)....

I had a lot of fun, but it was all a fairly compelling influence on the decision to become a lawyer. 

4:53 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

No one would believe my "career-path", so I'll abstain.

Sometimes, even I have trouble believing it.   Oddly, it continues.   I was recently asked to be an instructor at a regional community college.

I dooooooonnn't thinnnnnk sooooo ....

~r2~

1:56 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Hands down Obenhauf's Heavy Duty LP. Its the best stuff I have used on the market that is available today. Pricey but once you see how it conditions, protects, waterproofs, maintains, and how long it lasts you will be happy with your purchase. Perfect IMO for the type leather used on your Alicos.

Here is a lil info on the product:

https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=30

It is also available through Amazon.

Boots are expensive compared to what it costs to maintain your investment. I just ordered another 8oz container of this product. I noticed your reference to salt, well this product protects against it as well as a slew of other things that can break down the leather.

Nice purchase on those boots .ghost, happy hiking.

***Oh on a side note, when ya get them muddy brush them off after your trip. Dry mud will suck the moisture and natural oils out of your leather boots.***

Rick-Pittsburgh

i have used obenaufs for the last 15 years and i finally decided that i wanted to try something new. the problem i have had with obenaufs is that after a few years of using the product my boots just eventually dried out. it could be that i let them dry out too much between conditionings. in the end no matter how much i put on they would not seem to take the treatment into the leather. the boots would look nice after i treated them but before the end of the day they were looking dry again. i have been using obenaufs on my redwing 877's. which is an oil tanned boot. obenaufs did not seem to dry out my whites though. maybe i should have used some saddle soap to clean the leather and open up the pores occasionally. 

funny thing is that i decided to try nikwax because of the good reviews that i have seen about it. please let me know why you no longer use nikwax. 

40 years ago we used a product called "bee seal plus" that one seemed to be the best, but if i recall it changed or became unavailable. after that i started using obenaufs.

looking forward to any ones replies

2:49 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Its not that I necessarily quit using NikWax all together its just that on a FGL boot I have seen better results(long term) with the Obenhauf's. I also use their leather oil once ever 4 months. This "system" that I came up with seems to keep my boots in great shape and keeps the leather from drying out.

I still use NikWax products and think it is great stuff. I still use it on my boots that are a leather/synthetic combination as well as keeping my tents up to par and alot of my other gear(bags, shells, dwr clothing, etc.)

But for FGL I have had the best results with the Obenhauf's.

9:15 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

At the same time it this method of treatment that I go with is based on how much I actually go out.

If I only go out once or twice in that 4 month time frame I will skip the oil because I don't see the need and do not want to over saturate the leather.

I wear my hiking/backpacking boots for hiking/backpacking only. Other than initial break-in they never see anything other than trees, dirt, rocks, and trails.

7:27 p.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

These pups just showed up:

DSCN1440.jpg

DSCN1441.jpg

DSCN1444.jpg

DSCN1446.jpg

Can't wait to start breaking them in.

8:17 p.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Nice boots. Take care of them and they will last a long time.

12:31 a.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,065 forum posts

Thanks for bringing up Old boots brings back some memories of the Riachle's I owned as a teen..Thats why I also have Danner mountain lights because I like leather and the look and know that they will last the test of time. Also the Pivette's  were the shoe used in the Movie the Eiger sanction on the Rock climbing shot's. Movie was made 1975. Check the shots out overmywaiters and pillowthread. Thanks for starting this thread and all the info to you and Rick as well.

1:43 p.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Just came across a video of the new Scarpa SL coming out. I like the rand but as far as the rest of it I am not too sure. I heard the word "sponge" which hits the EVA alarm with me.

http://youtu.be/jkiNRjGAF3Q

3:08 p.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

86 the EVA.

3:18 p.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I detest that stuff(EVA) just about as much as membranes and neon colors. I don't think this new SL is a "bad looking" boot considering what is out there. I really like the rand. They also changed the last on this model. I heard the Scarpa rep say "so it fits more people." Being the last in the current SLs fit me great it will be my luck that it has been changed to the point that it will not work on my feet.

Never the less I am happy with what I have. All leather, no membrane, and the lack of the latest new fangled bs on the market. I also like the agressive tread pattern of the Vibram M3 sole a bit better. As always that is just my preference.

I may order another pair of the current models as a back-up.

Then again who knows, this "new" version may very well be my dream boot. If only they had it in neon with a gtx liner....

5:01 p.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hi Tec Altitude IVs(about 3yrs old)

boots-005.jpg

Seriously though, for what they cost they have been a good boot. I still wear them to cut grass. They have actually held up better than some of the more expensive boots I have had.

You know you want a pair. :p

10:34 p.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
2,439 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

limmer standards, about six years old.  did a hill workout in them today, steamy 95 degree day today.  could wear these all day, every day. 

the tale of the tape:

size 11 wide.  a hair under five pounds for the pair.  3.2 mm chrome-tanned full grain leather, smooth side out.  leather lining and insole.  made in Bavaria at the Meindl factory for Limmer.  treated periodically with limmer boot grease.  always worn with custom orthotics.

IMG-20110707-00006.jpg

IMG-20110707-00005.jpg

IMG-20110707-00004.jpg

the laces are 3mm accessory cord, cut to size.  a little slippery, so they need to be double knotted, but much more durable than regular laces. 

7:44 a.m. on July 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I had a pair of those.  86'd 'em (eBay).   They didn't work for me.

I do want to try the "Lightweights", though.   Are THEY also made by Meindl?

~r2~

8:50 a.m. on July 8, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

I had a pair of those.  86'd 'em (eBay).   They didn't work for me.

I do want to try the "Lightweights", though.   Are THEY also made by Meindl?

~r2~

I am surprised you do not wanna snag up a pair of those beautifully crafted Hi-Tecs(I think there is a pair on ebay right now for $1.30+$90 ship, what a steal.)

You would love them. I think they are made in Bangladesh or Malaysia or maybe even Mexico for that matter, that was a big selling point for me. :)

An acid dip(muriatic,) 2 tubs of Obenhauf's(1 per boot,) 5 gallons of gas, and a match and they will be as good as new.

Get em now before its too late.

9:15 a.m. on July 8, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

I am trying to squeeze enough juice out the turninp that is my budget to get a pair of the Alico Tahoe as well.  This September I am going to be doing the Teton Crest Trail (thats the TCT to you Robert ;) sorry couldn't resist) and I need to get them right away if I am going to get them broken in before then. Fingers crossed... 

10:28 a.m. on July 8, 2011 (EDT)
2,439 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

Robert - all the non-custom Limmer boots are manufactured by Meindl in Germany.  worth noting that the lightweight is built using the same last as the standard, which is why i knew they would fit my feet.  The lightweight's midsole, shank, and leather outer have significantly more flex than the standard.  though the lightweight uses 2.8mm leather, it is 'waxed nubuck,' pretty forgiving right out of the box; some 2.8mm leather boots require a fair bit of break-in, but these didn't take very long. 

10:30 a.m. on July 8, 2011 (EDT)
2,439 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

hey Gonzan - i'm going to be in Jackson Hole in August, family trip (kids are 8, 11, 13 - good for half-day hikes).  Any ideas for day hikes in that area?

thanks.

11:04 a.m. on July 8, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Hey Leadbelly-

I wish I could give some good advice, but since I am only looking at multi-day backcountry routes I haven't researched anything else. Gary might be able to give you some pointers, I know he has lived in Jackson on and off for a couple decades.

2:30 p.m. on July 8, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

the laces are 3mm accessory cord, cut to size.  a little slippery, so they need to be double knotted, but much more durable than regular laces. 

I am with ya on the whole lace thing. I usually wait for the originals to crap out(which usually isn't long) and just replace them with Bluewater 3mm cord(375lb strength.)

oregons-001.jpg

8:53 p.m. on July 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

Do any of you need a pair of Danner 6490's? These are the predecessor to the Mountain Light; they are leather-lined, stitched-down construction, ca. 197*.

They have never been worn on a trail. I wore them a few times around town and found they just didn't fit my feet. The bottom of the soles are barely scuffed. The laces are original. I don't have the original box.

The boot got good reviews in the 1973 Backpacker Mag - http://books.google.com/books?id=_d8DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA62&lpg=PA62&dq=pivetta+boot+makers+heel+sizes&source=bl&ots=EsGdTfzy0c&sig=aGpL7dxKZHdlUdUUfKC97AAdWXk&hl=en&ei=L-cSTvC5LKL50gHZ2_WDDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CEUQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

I have small feet and these 8.5 "B" are a bit long. If anyone needs a good American-made, all-leather boot, you can have these for $35.00 plus shipping.That is less than the 1973 price. :)

It is the boot on the left in this photo - http://www.trailspace.com/people/overmywaders/photos/three-boots/

If this post is inappropriate, please delete it. Thanks.

6:51 a.m. on July 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

gonzan said:

... Teton Crest Trail ( thats the TCT to you Robert; )  sorry

WTH ?  idk

Hand  ( Have a nice day )

~r2~   ( Robert Rowe )

7:03 a.m. on July 9, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,065 forum posts

overmywaders said:

Do any of you need a pair of Danner 6490's? These are the predecessor to the Mountain Light; they are leather-lined, stitched-down construction, ca. 197*.

They have never been worn on a trail. I wore them a few times around town and found they just didn't fit my feet. The bottom of the soles are barely scuffed. The laces are original. I don't have the original box.

The boot got good reviews in the 1973 Backpacker Mag - http://books.google.com/books?id=_d8DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA62&lpg=PA62&dq=pivetta+boot+makers+heel+sizes&source=bl&ots=EsGdTfzy0c&sig=aGpL7dxKZHdlUdUUfKC97AAdWXk&hl=en&ei=L-cSTvC5LKL50gHZ2_WDDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CEUQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

I have small feet and these 8.5 "B" are a bit long. If anyone needs a good American-made, all-leather boot, you can have these for $35.00 plus shipping.That is less than the 1973 price. :)

It is the boot on the left in this photo - http://www.trailspace.com/people/overmywaders/photos/three-boots/

If this post is inappropriate, please delete it. Thanks.

If they were 1/2 inch bigger I would have jumped on them.....man oh man..

7:09 a.m. on July 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

Robert - all the non-custom Limmer boots are manufactured by Meindl in Germany.  worth noting that the lightweight is built using the same last as the standard, which is why i knew they would fit my feet.  The lightweight's midsole, shank, and leather outer have significantly more flex than the standard.  though the lightweight uses 2.8mm leather, it is 'waxed nubuck,' pretty forgiving right out of the box; some 2.8mm leather boots require a fair bit of break-in, but these didn't take very long. 

Thanks.

Going back to N.H.  ( New Hampshire ) in the Autumn to hit those parts of the AT ( Appalachian Trail ) that I missed last trip, back in '08  ( Aught Eight ).

Definitely going to make it a priority to stop at Intervale.  

The Standards I bought previously just did not work for me ... for some reason.   I suspect my feet have gotten one-size wider, due to wearing sandals until October and November almost every year.  I love those Chaco's ... have two different styles ... one with a toe-loop; one without (for wearing socks)   Also, wearing clogs  (Dansk) may have contributed to that.  I have learned a lesson.

Going to try to ante-up a deposit for a custom pair of Limmers.    With the almost one year wait ... maybe (?) by the time they're ready, I will come-up with the balance.   I really ... really ... want a pair of high-tops (7" - 9", like mil-spec boots).   Wondering if they can accommodate me on that.

6:13 p.m. on July 11, 2011 (EDT)
2,439 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

never seen a tall pair of custom limmers.  have you considered Randy Merrell? take a look at the photos.  pretty darn expensive, but he definitely does tall custom boots.

http://www.merrellfootlab.com/gallery.htm

10:24 p.m. on July 11, 2011 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

http://bit.ly/rd3NEp

Do you have a size 11 foot?  Like Pivettas?

5:54 a.m. on July 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

never seen a tall pair of custom limmers.  have you considered Randy Merrell? take a look at the photos.  pretty darn expensive, but he definitely does tall custom boots.

http://www.merrellfootlab.com/gallery.htm

Hmmm ....   Nice boots.   Thanks for the link.

Interesting story, about Randy Merrelll.   I like that line he quoted, ... "Hire a teenager ... while they still know everything."

~r2~

5:55 a.m. on July 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

.ghost. said:

http://bit.ly/rd3NEp

Do you have a size 11 foot?  Like Pivettas?

Nyet.    9W.

~r2~

10:29 a.m. on July 12, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hire a teenager, while they still know everything... Lol, I love it. I use to know everything but have since forgotten most of it. :)

6:36 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Well, I just got a brand new pair of the Alico Tahoe as well. Arrived in the post today. These are some fine classic boots. I wish Sierra Trading Post wasn't the only place to get them in the US. They didn't have the leather lined option, which the Alicosport.it website states they make. I almost spent the extra dough to get the Alico Summits which have a leather liner, but they are quite a bit heavier and cost 25% more. The liner isn't some obnoxious WPB though, but just a wicking layer.

They are clearly going to take a while to break in, but are still remarkably comfortable right out of the box.

11:01 a.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

gonzan said:

Well, I just got a brand new pair of the Alico Tahoe as well. Arrived in the post today. These are some fine classic boots. I wish Sierra Trading Post wasn't the only place to get them in the US. They didn't have the leather lined option, which the Alicosport.it website states they make. I almost spent the extra dough to get the Alico Summits which have a leather liner, but they are quite a bit heavier and cost 25% more. The liner isn't some obnoxious WPB though, but just a wicking layer.

They are clearly going to take a while to break in, but are still remarkably comfortable right out of the box.

It took about 100 miles to break my Summits in, plus I also did yard work in them to get the process started.

I have been working on going lighter (gear & such), but my feet simply do much better in a solid, substantial boot like these.

I'm glad your boots arrived! How about some photos sometime when you get a chance?

12:52 a.m. on July 31, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

After my last pair of boots crapped out and I had to return them I found myself in the market (again) for some new boots. Thanx to this thread I had plenty of good info to go with. Just got myself some new Scarpa SL M3's

Scarpa-s.jpg

I think these are gonna take some doin' to get broke in but will be worth the effort. Hope this solves my boot issue for awhile. Once again thanx for all the helpfull info TS members.

PS: Please dont start a thread called Tent prOn or Pack prOn ....... my wallet could'nt take it!

2:47 a.m. on July 31, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Obenhauf's Heavy Duty LP treatment 2 times, 86d the stock laces, replaced with Bluewater 3mm cord(treated with the Obenhauf's as well.) I treated the laces because:

A) I figured the addition of wax would make them hold a knot better, it worked.

B) I have had my laces freeze in the winter. Lets face it, laces suck up water. I treated them heavily with the Obenhauf's and I let them sit in the mancave over night. I did everything I possibly could afterwards to soak them in water....after that I stuck them in the freezer. Guess what? IT WORKED !!! They didn't freeze at all which confirms to me that they did not retain any water after I treated them.

I figured what do I have to lose. I probably have 400ft of cord so I am not too worried about experimenting. I heard rumor that Obenhauf's made laces. After some research I came to find out they were treated in Obenhauf's. I was like "I can do that."

Scarpa-SL-M3s-now-008.jpg

Here is the new Scarpa SL Activ coming out. It is already available overseas. Seems like they made quite a few changes. Alot more then what is apparent from the pic after a bit of inquiring w/the Scarpa rep and a bit of research. At least its still a non gore-tex model.

New-Scarpa-SL.jpg

6:32 p.m. on August 24, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

Well, I ended up getting those Pivetta Fives that Ghost linked to a while back. I finally gave up on the Eights, realizing they were just a tad too small. The Fives are as close to perfect as I've found so far. Here's a few more shots:

DSCN0516.jpg

DSCN0519.jpg

DSCN0522.jpg

This last one really shows the curvature on the heal counter...

They're definitely more flexible than the Eights; more suited to general hiking than mountaineering. I'm still keeping my eye out for a B-width, size 11 pair of Eights...

6:51 p.m. on August 24, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Those are some dayam sessy boots!

7:51 p.m. on August 24, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

Thanks Gonzan; I think Alico makes some great boots. The Fives are actually older than the Eights; The guy I bought them from remembered getting them in the late '60s...that puts them at some 40 years old...

8:20 p.m. on August 24, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Pretty good shape considering the age.

10:48 p.m. on August 24, 2011 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

Wow.  Wish I coulda fit into those bad pups.  Gorgeous.

11:31 p.m. on August 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

@ pillowthread :

Nice score, those are some sweet boots!

6:59 p.m. on September 8, 2011 (EDT)
1,247 reviewer rep
610 forum posts

In hopes of reviving this past thread (mostly because I could look at pictures of boots for days!), my Zamberlan Vioz. My first 'real' pair of hiking boots so I have nothing to compare them to but I tried on just short of 20 pairs of boots before deciding on these. Like slippers right outta the box. Cambrelle lining, works well, dries fast, (I was skeptical at first). I've had them roughly a year now and as you can see the sole barely looks touched. Gore-tex linings, GASP! Did he say gore-tex? Yes, I generally don't get sweaty feet and havn't had an issue with 'swamp' feet, to each his own I guess. I was also a little weary about the smaller toe rand although no issues to complain about so far. At the request of some I left them dirty after a day hike, although its killing me to photgraph them in this sad state. They will be pampered off camera when I'm done!
IMAG0063.jpg
IMAG0064.jpg
IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

I don't even hear Zamberlan's name mentioned when it comes to quality boots. Is there a reason why? Made in Italy, 2.8 mm full grain leather, suberbly comfortable. The company seems to fit the consensus criteria for a pair of good boots. Does anyone else have any past experience with the company, good, bad or ugly? Is there something I'm missing? As of right now I'm looking at purchasing their heavier duty Novalo because I like these so much.

7:11 p.m. on September 8, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Jake nothing wrong with the Zamberlan at all. They actually make a good boot from the feedback I have heard from a few of my friends that have them.

1:48 a.m. on September 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

So....................................In my effort to come up with a (or some) pair (or pairs) of hiking/backpacking boots I happen upon these.  I was checking  the Seattle Craigslist when I spotted these from a far.  The Lowa Triplex Ice climing boots.  Formally called the Lowa-Eiger-Hiebler-Triplex.  This was in referance to Tony Hiebler who made the 1st winter ascent of the Eiger North Face.  Tony Hiebler helped in the design faze of this boot.

DSC04681.jpg

These are some brawny boots.  They weigh in at 7.5 lbs for the pair.  Notice the indents in the heals for crampons.
DSC04692.jpg
When I first saw them I thought Naw, this can't be.  When I bought my last pair of Lowas in Denver I remember seeing these boots in the store.  It seems like they might have been around $800, but I'm having a hard time remembering.  I do know that I paid around $400 for mine 30+ years ago.  The cool thing is these are the big brothers to my boots.  I had not been able to find the model name for my boots for years, but once I Googled Lowa Tripxles Boots, I found the whole line of boots

Here are some other boots  for compairison.
DSC04688.jpg

DSC04689.jpg
From L-R.  Pivetta Artical 8's, Unknown Pivettas, Lowa Civetta, Lowa Triplex

I bought these from the original owner who used them on Denali, Ranier, Whitney and some others climbs which I forgot to write down.   

DSC04691.jpg
These have their original flat red  laces while my Civetta's have their original flat blue laces.

A close up of the toe box.
DSC04698.jpg

The reason these were named the Triplex is because of there triple layer system.  Leather outers with leather inners and wool/felt liners.  I was going to take the felt out of the booties but they were in there pretty tight and I did not want to tear them.  A cool thing is there are some feathers in one of the felt liners.

lowa-triplex-boots-2.png

A really cool thing is that these came with the original felt liners as well as replacement felt liners.
DSC04695.jpg

The inside with out the inners/liners inside the boots.  Both the Triplex and the Civetta have wood soles giving the boots zero flex making them unusable for any kind of hiking/backpacking.
DSC04696.jpg

DSC04697.jpg
The bottom of these boots are in pretty good shape for 35 year old boots.

Here is what Lowa had to say in The Feb 1977 edition of Backpacker magazine:

"The Triplex is the worlds premier Expeditionary boot.  Designed with the collaboration of Toni Hiebler, the Triplex is guaranteed to hold up under the most sevear ice and snow conditions.  For your protection yoiu start with streatched wool, felt linings.  You then lace the smooth outspit leather inners. The outer boot is  made with the finest swiss leather, makes it three boots in one and the ultimate in weather resistance."

I guess they were feeling pretty confident about their boots.  I believe them.  The boots also came factory watersealed/treated with Lowa's special waterproofing boot treatment.  I do not know what they used or did but it feels like impregnated leather. Here's the really long link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=7-MDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA5&lpg=PA5&dq=Lowa+Triplex+boots&source=bl&ots=W_gDhDwVji&sig=WidSy1ku3rVW41LWurYdKBW41-s&hl=en&ei=FulvTt6sK-TjiAKguY2NBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CIMBEOgBMAc#v=onepage&q=Lowa%20Triplex%20boots&f=false

@ pillowthread :  I read that your Pivetta fives replaced the model called the Summit.  Further investigation tells me that the Pivetta 5's were Oil tanned with vegtable oil, while the Pivetta Muir Trail were chrome (potassium dichromate) tanned.

8:56 p.m. on September 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

After reading http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-repair/topics/46063.html , I'm more confused than ever.  Any recommendations for how to treat both the inside and outside of a pair of Pivetta 8s?  I'd like to both clean AND treat the inside.  I don't suspect they're all that dirty inside, so this is more about giving them the love they deserve and to prepare them the "best" way possible.  Any recommendations on how to do this?  I've read quite a bit of negative feedback about saddle soap, which was my first inclination to use.  I'd appreciate hearing other ideas.

I've also read that after treating the rough leather of the 8s, it's a good idea to brush them.  I'm assuming they're talking with a standard, natural bristled shoe brush.  Am I on the right track?

I normally use Aquaseal (also known as Natureseal and Naturalseal and once sold as Vasque's proprietary paste; now sold at Campmor and at Red Wing shoe stores), which have treated some old Vasque incredibly well.  I'm inclined to keep using it.  The boots I've used it on are over 23 years old and don't seem to show signs of thread rot or any other negative effect.  I'm open to switching to something like Obenauf HD LP, which seems to have strong loyalists.

I've used Snoseal in the past, and while I feel it worked fine, it seemed like I was treating them more often than I was with Aquaseal.  It also seemed like Snoseal did little to soften and keep the leather healthy, and that is a priority.

9:23 p.m. on September 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Hey Zero,

As you well know I've been in the Boot Rut as of late.  It is indeed a hard read on how to treat certain boot's and that may well depend on what your boot was treated with in the past.  I would check with pillowthread and see what he did as far as treating them and if he knows the history of the boots.  Then I'd email Dave Page at  the bellow address and send him some pictures of your boots with any info you have on the boots.  He seem to be the, or at least one of the, premier boot specialist.  There is much to be said about him if you do a Google search, all of it being 100% positive.  I would talk to/email him before doing anything.  I would guess he would also be able to give you hints and tip's to fine tue your boots.  I know I will be contacting him in the next few months regarding my boots.   Just my thoughts

10:07 p.m. on September 30, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

Zeno: The inside leather was treated only with Montana Pitch-Blend conditioner, and only very sparingly. This was done right when I received the boots, and it helped to soften the lining a bit, but without compromising its strength. Obenaufs was used exclusively on the outside, and it was regularly re-knapped with a stiff-bristle nylon brush. A natural bristle brush will not likely have the stiffness required to scuff the leather properly. Some people even like to use a short wire brush. Brushing helps to keep the leather breathable, and helps allow the wax to penetrate more fully.

12:38 a.m. on October 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Thanks, both of you.  Truly appreciated.  (shipping costs are killing the fun of finding gear and the maintenance thereof)

5:13 p.m. on October 14, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Finally got the Scarpas broke in :)

062.jpg

1:36 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Well, I FINALLY got around to taking some photos of my Alico Tahoes. They are quite well broken in now, with around 75 miles them. I am quite happy with their performance and quality. The only issue I have had is a small degree of outsole separation at the toe of each boot. This was remedied with a some cyanoacrylate and a couple sole screws. Maybe a little overkill, but I didn't want them opening back up while I am 15 miles in the wilderness.

Well, enough rambling; here they are :)

DSC_2190.jpg

7:28 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Can anyone share a safe, successful process for removing old boot treatment?  I've already asked a knowledgeable fellow boardmember, but I'm still interested in hearing more options.

I have a pair of boots that appears to have a heavy layer of a beeswax-based treatment on them.  I'm 90% certain it is beeswax.  I'd like to remove as much as possible and then start [almost] from new with Obenaufs.

My idea was to simply use warm water and to keep scrubbing away at it with clean cloths.  I thought about using the back of a blade, the square edge, to remove a lot of it and then using the warm water and cloth.  This is rough leather, so I don't think I'd do any damage to the finish of the leather.

11:40 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

Turps melts wax. So, working outdoors with the boot above a basin of turpentine, constantly wetting the boot, you should be able to scrub a lot of it off.

I know how thick waxes can build up on an old pair of boots. Truly amazing! I would use the back of a table knife to scrape off as much as possible before using the turps. Also, laying a turps-soaked rag on the boot upper for a while may promote softening of the wax. I have done the above and it works, but it is slow.

1:13 p.m. on October 18, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,065 forum posts

I had to add to this
Picture-004.jpg
Picture-005.jpg

I had to get some....

3:45 p.m. on October 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Hey Zero, If your uncomfortable using any of the suggestions on the forum, including mine,  you might just take a picture and send a quick mail to Dave Page and ask his opinion. Just a thought.

5:06 p.m. on October 18, 2011 (EDT)
2,439 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

Denis, those Raichles look like a pair i wore for several years.  Similar overlap design, though i remember the overlap extending a little beyond the laces on mine.  hard to remember, it has been several years.  a whole lot of boot.

Zeno, you could use saddle soap and a medium to soft brush.  it might take a few applications, but it does a pretty good job stripping old crap out of leather while providing some very mild conditioning.  i wouldn't use turpentine on a pair of high quality leather hiking boots - too harsh, it could damage the leather or the cement between the sole & midsole. 

8:48 p.m. on October 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Thanks for the advice, folks.  Truly appreciated.  I'd still love to hear more.  Please keep them coming.

If I used turpentine, I would use it on a rag and then apply it in areas a little at a time by resting the soaked rag on them.  I'd be very specific in placement and not just douse the boot.  It would be a very last resort for quite another reason, though:  I absolutely despise the smell of turpentine.  I'd probably never want to wear those boots again on scent alone.  That worries me more than anything.

Since starting this thread, Apeman's cobbler told me he would probably do nothing and just wear them.  Obenauf's told me to use Dawn dishwashing soap, distilled water, and a toothbrush (which was their advice in the context of me then using their product to moisturize and treat the leather after the Dawn/water, so I assume any soap residue wouldn't get in the way of their products performing at their utmost).  And finally, limonene was another recommendation.  They make something specifically for wax removal, but they also couldn't tell me what would happen to the leather in the process.

I tried scraping an area today, and it worked less than satisfactory.  It worked, but not like I'd hoped.  I might try Goop Hand Cleaner.  It seems to be a middle-ground when all the other advice is taken into consideration.  It certainly isn't as brutal on skin as Dawn can be after repeated applications, and it isn't as "chemical" as turpentine or limonene.  Still gathering information, though.

9:10 p.m. on October 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

Turpentine is quite gentle as a solvent. It is distilled from natural tree resin and forms the basis for many furniture waxes. It is also part of Vicks VapoRub. It does have a strong smell, but I find it pleasant - as compared to kerosene. In fact, it is added to many cleaning products to provide a "clean scent."

One benefit of turps is its long drying time. Acetone would evaporate before it could cut the wax.

However, Goop sounds interesting. It would probably be faster than turps.

9:35 p.m. on October 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hmmm, I wonder if Goo Gone would work now that we are exploring options.

Plus your boots would smell like and orange grove. :)

9:40 p.m. on October 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

@ Zeno Marx ,   

If bees wax is used it must be reapplied on a regular basis as it wears off rather quickly. Other than the boots seeming goopy is there any other reason to not just wear them. It is my experience that when I have over done my boots (treatment wise) that by setting them by the wood stove, setting them out in the sun if the boots are dark enough, and or as a last resort, putting them into the oven on a low heat will make the leather more able absorb the wax. I know it seems as though their icky(is that really a word) now, but try wearing them for some good solid hikes and see how that works out for you. You can always "de-goop" them later when the weathers is just to crappy to use them. Try wearing them as your every day shoe for a few weeks and I bet that they will not be near as goopy as they are today. Just a(some) thought(s).

9:51 p.m. on October 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Goo Gone would work great, but it is a hardcore solvent.  It's works on candle wax really, really quickly.  If you ever drip some on a carpet, I highly recommend using GG.  It's so aggressive that I would be afraid to use it on leather, though.  If there is a scale, it is seems to be several times stronger than acetone and like solvents still readily available to the public.  It dries out the skin just as quickly as it devours candle wax.  I've seen people ruin more things with Goo Gone than things they've saved by using it.  I think it is a good tool, but you have to be really careful and definitely test it before going too hard with it.

10:14 p.m. on October 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Goo Gone would work great, but it is a hardcore solvent.  It's works on candle wax really, really quickly.  If you ever drip some on a carpet, I highly recommend using GG.  It's so aggressive that I would be afraid to use it on leather, though.  If there is a scale, it is seems to be several times stronger than acetone and like solvents still readily available to the public.  It dries out the skin just as quickly as it devours candle wax.  I've seen people ruin more things with Goo Gone than things they've saved by using it.  I think it is a good tool, but you have to be really careful and definitely test it before going too hard with it.

Diluted maybe? I definitely would go at it on leather at full strength. Hmmm....

I am also wondering if it wouldn't be a bad thing to treat the boots to a bit of the Obenhauf's leather oil prior to the Heavy Duty LP.

9:46 a.m. on October 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

http://www.craftinamerica.org/tvseries/story_2173.php

Good episode, and I mention it here because one of the pieces is about a cowboy boot maker.  More about stitching and artistry than about boot making, but had they not try to fit so many artists into a single episode, I bet it could've been more about the forming than the design alone.

3:08 p.m. on October 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts
8:13 p.m. on October 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

A pair of old cotton socks, a can of WD-40, and away I went.

Goop didn't work.  I feared Dawn would dry the leather too much.  Solvents seemed too difficult to control, and I didn't want them messing with the threadwork.  After confirming WD-40 isn't silicone-based, and remembering how well it worked when removing some candle wax from an old tablecloth and a wood dining table a few holidays ago, I decided to experiment with it.  Also found a couple testimonials online of people using WD-40 and a wire brush on their suede coats for years and years without a problem and with good results.

Put my hand in a sock and sprayed it with WD-40.  Never sprayed the boot directly.  Wasn't necessary anyway.  With surprisingly little scrubbing, it pulled all that treatment right off the boot and into the sock.  Cleaning the grommets and metalwork was a side benefit.  Made a quick meal of the beeswax.  I'm guessing I only had to mess with the boots for 30 minutes.  Restored the nap of the leather, which had been caked and matted by the 1mm of boot glop.  Doesn't appear that I'll have to go over them a second time, either.  Worked much, much better than I expected.  Time can only tell whether WD-40 was a poor choice.

If anyone cringed when they read I used WD-40, please let me know why.  I couldn't find any ill-effects online with using it on leather.  I continue to find new jobs for it, so I've biased by its capacities.  I'm open to being proven wrong in trusting it too much.

8:55 p.m. on October 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

Zeno,

Good call. Now, I know when I next confront the cruddy boot.

Although a Trade Secret the MSDS lists the following for WD-40

Ingredients/Identity Information =========================================================================== Proprietary: NO Ingredient: STODDARD SOLVENT; (ALIPHATIC PETROLEUM DISTILLATES) Percent: 50 NIOSH (RTECS)

Proprietary: NO Ingredient: PETROLEUM GAS (LIQUEFIED); (A-70 HYDROCARBON PROPELLANT) Percent: 25 NIOSH (RTECS)

Proprietary: NO Ingredient: MINERAL OIL, PETRO DISTIL, SOLV DEWAXED HEAVY PARAFFINIC (SEVERE SOLV REFINING &/OR HYDROTREATMENT); (PETRO BASE OIL)  Percent: >15 NIOSH (RTECS)

Proprietary: NO Ingredient: NON-HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS Percent: <10 NIOSH (RTECS)

The mineral oil probably helped. Otherwise you were using the Stoddard solvent (a.k.a., mineral spirits).

9:11 p.m. on October 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Interesting.  Thanks.  I almost wish I had a small spot remaining so I could try mineral oil.

10:11 p.m. on October 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Other uses for WD-40 are that it works just as well or even better than starter fluid and in fact is much better than starter fluid and is cheaper as well.  One of the reasons WD-40 is better than starter fluid is that it's a lubricant.  Though it takes a while your can actually seize an engine using starter fluid.  This is esp. improtant regarding diesel engines.  Now you might ask what the heck does this have to do with the outdoors?  Well, alot of use need the combustion engine to get use to the backcountry.  Just a thought.

10:24 p.m. on October 19, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,065 forum posts

@leadbelly. Love these boots and my other pair of light hikers...

10:24 p.m. on October 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

I once ran my Austin 1800 for five miles on stove oil. I had no gas, so I poured lacquer thinner in the carb (Wow!) and stove oil in the tank and took off. Had the manual choke wide open and left a cloud for miles. :)

11:29 p.m. on October 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

overmywaders said:

I once ran my Austin 1800 for five miles on stove oil. I had no gas, so I poured lacquer thinner in the carb (Wow!) and stove oil in the tank and took off. Had the manual choke wide open and left a cloud for miles. :)

Rock on.  That's too funny

9:01 p.m. on October 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

In one of these great boot threads, someone mentions wearing their boots to the office and not missing a step inasmuch as anyone noticing and out of place fashion.  I found that interesting at the time, and after finding some brown laces to swap out for such dressy, but not too dressy occasions, I have to pleasantly agree.  Some of these boots are probably better looking than a lot of crap they sell in the catalogs and on clearance racks in the mens sections of dept stores.

10:09 p.m. on October 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,247 reviewer rep
610 forum posts

I've been wearing the 5's I got from Vince around work to get them broken in. I'm a teacher so it's not as formal a setting as an office, but they look good with a pair of jeans. And I can tell you I've got the most comfortable feet at the end of the day!

10:34 p.m. on October 26, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

Very glad to hear this Jake!

10:57 a.m. on October 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

I've worn Pivettas and smooth-out, Littleway-stitched Vasques in boardrooms in many countries and no-one ever remarked upon them. A welted boot might be more remarkable. :)

Congrats!

4:45 p.m. on October 28, 2011 (EDT)
1,247 reviewer rep
610 forum posts

The only problem is boots like these scream for the trails and not the school hallways! I feel like I'm going to have to find another pair- one for day to day use, and one for backpacking. D*mn this site! hahaha.

1:30 p.m. on November 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Great thread on boots.  I have tried on so many (not Lowas or Limmers- sadly, I cannot find them in stock near Denver) including Scarpas, Zamberlans, some Salewas (waiting for Mtn Tracker in 12 to try on), Asolo, Solomon, and a couple of others.  If they fit my narrow heel well, they are too tight on the outside of my little toe.  If they fit well in the foot-box, they are too loose in the heel.  I have driven all over the place trying boots on.  Before I go custom, are there any other ideas you all have?  Size 12 with somewhat narrow heels and normal to slightly wide at ball of feet.  Main issue is that so many boots curve in sharply in that outside area so they put pressure on my little toe.   So far, the Salewas have the best heel fit.

I'd take my toes off but it may be cheaper, less painful, and more stable to go with custom boots.  :)

1:48 p.m. on November 1, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

Narrow heel and a slightly wide forefoot? It sounds like you may have a La Sportiva foot...

6:35 p.m. on November 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

chandne said:

Great thread on boots.  I have tried on so many (not Lowas or Limmers- sadly, I cannot find them in stock near Denver) including Scarpas, Zamberlans, some Salewas (waiting for Mtn Tracker in 12 to try on), Asolo, Solomon, and a couple of others.  If they fit my narrow heel well, they are too tight on the outside of my little toe.  If they fit well in the foot-box, they are too loose in the heel.  I have driven all over the place trying boots on.  Before I go custom, are there any other ideas you all have?  Size 12 with somewhat narrow heels and normal to slightly wide at ball of feet.  Main issue is that so many boots curve in sharply in that outside area so they put pressure on my little toe.   So far, the Salewas have the best heel fit.

I'd take my toes off but it may be cheaper, less painful, and more stable to go with custom boots.  :)

Here's what I would do. Contact Dave Page. He seems to be the go to guy on the West Coast and maybe in the country. Email him and ask his opinion on what boot's or lines of boots might fit your needs. Boots are the hardest of all the pieces of outdoor gear to get right. You can have a backpack, sleeping bag, cook stove, etc that is mostly right but you boots have to fit your feet 100% and be of the quality you need to get the job done. Dave page seems to know boots one and all and it is his life’s work. I have not dealt with him myself but some at Trailspace have and many around the world have. I have read up much on him and have never seen a bad rating regarding him and his work. I would venture to say you will save yourself much time and years of aggravation if your talk to him. Then if the boots you get are even a little off he can most likely fix that for you. The other route you can go is to take the oneI did and get 14 pairs of high quality boots and bring the store to you. I don't recommend this to most people, however it works for me. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

8:19 p.m. on November 1, 2011 (EDT)
1,247 reviewer rep
610 forum posts

apeman said:

chandne said:

The other route you can go is to take the oneI did and get 14 pairs of high quality boots and bring the store to you. I don't recommend this to most people, however it works for me. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

But Ape your exploration of boots has been so much fun for the rest of us!

8:48 p.m. on November 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Jake W said:

apeman said:

chandne said:

The other route you can go is to take the oneI did and get 14 pairs of high quality boots and bring the store to you. I don't recommend this to most people, however it works for me. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

But Ape your exploration of boots has been so much fun for the rest of us!

Ah, but Jake, I'm not done with boots............merely acquiring new pairs. Unless of course I find the perfect pair of $400 boots for $49. Then, well...................... don't make me buy another pair of boot's………..don't. I will be adding some more to my post "A tail of many boots" in the coming weeks as I have dismissed some of the boots and accepted others into the fold. I'm now wearing and trying my different boot's that, as I for the moment, have different requirements . That of hiking in a tropical places rather than where I now and hiking and the backpacking I'm used to. Just as we have different bags, different backpacks, etc for different situations and conditions………… so shall it be for boots.

10:41 p.m. on November 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

apeman, I will call Dave Page.  He may be able to help me. A few questions though:

Where did you get 14 pair of boots from?  All from one place? Did you try and return them.  Did any work out?  I like your thought process...a bit scary as it may seem.  :)

11:42 p.m. on November 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

chandne said:

apeman, I will call Dave Page.  He may be able to help me. A few questions though:

Where did you get 14 pair of boots from?  All from one place? Did you try and return them.  Did any work out?  I like your thought process...a bit scary as it may seem.  :)

If you go to A tale of many (vintage boots) in the Forum Gear Selection, all will be revealed.  Basicly I've been buying old school one piece leather boots with Vibram soles in "as new" or "near new" condition from Criagslist and Ebay in the off season for pennies on the dollar.  What ever does not fit or does not tickle my fancy I will sell in the on season most likely bringing a profit so that I not hardly have to pay anything for 5 or 6 pairs of good boots that I keep and should last me a life time.  I like to buy things on my terms not a store's, salesman's, or companies terms.  This is the best way I have found to do that.  I also make it a policy to never buy new, always buying second hand gear that is proven over time.  Works for me but not for all.

Many of the boots have worked out in the first phase of testing and will go onto the second phase of testing.  Other' I have not even had the chance to try yet.

8:37 a.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

You are a unique boot man.  I'll have to read that thread when I have time (probably at work).

11:37 a.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

chandne said:

You are a unique boot man.  I'll have to read that thread when I have time (probably at work).

I have been told in the past that I am indeed "unique", but usually using more "colourful" wording.   ;-}}>

1:49 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

An overheard conversation regarding apeman:

"...sure is one unique ungulate!"

"You think he'd take kindly to that?"

"I said his profile picture..."

7:34 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
1,247 reviewer rep
610 forum posts

Does anyone know the longest (post wise) thread on Trailspace? This has got to be getting up there. One of the more senior members would know best? People just love their boots I guess!

10:48 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

This thread is like a good pair of Boots, it will last for years and just keep plodding along doing its job without much thanx.

9:20 p.m. on January 13, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,079 forum posts

leather lined and no gore tex

http://www.danner.com/boots/mt-trail-5-5-rd-brn.html

boot lust

8:26 p.m. on April 6, 2012 (EDT)
1,247 reviewer rep
610 forum posts

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I have an announcement to make.......

I have finally pieced together the puzzle that is boot perfection!

Much like dating you spend many days, and dollars, searching for that perfect match. After countless failures, you find something promising. Something comfortable. You're still hesitant, but it just feels right. Suspicion starts to decrease and you realize you found the one! You develop a trust, start to get more acquainted, and then love forms. A deep connection develops, you providing only the best leather preservative and her providing the best support only a wife (or boot) can. But then your eye starts to wander.....wait, this is a terrible analogy.........You are noticing others..........boots, other boots........That pair provides something diferent......... okay, scrap that whole dating/relationship analogy!

Without furthur adieu, (or ramblings), I present my perfect line-up of boots...

P4060211.jpg

P4060212.jpg

P4060214.jpg

From left to right, and (light to heavy weight)- Garmont Vettas, Zamberlan Vioz, and Pivetta 5's.

Love is such a beautiful thing ;)

9:28 p.m. on April 6, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Jake W said:

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I have an announcement to make.......

I have finally pieced together the puzzle that is boot perfection!

Much like dating you spend many days, and dollars, searching for that perfect match. After countless failures, you find something promising. Something comfortable. You're still hesitant, but it just feels right. Suspicion starts to decrease and you realize you found the one! You develop a trust, start to get more acquainted, and then love forms. A deep connection develops, you providing only the best leather preservative and her providing the best support only a wife (or boot) can. But then your eye starts to wander.....wait, this is a terrible analogy.........You are noticing others..........boots, other boots........That pair provides something diferent......... okay, scrap that whole dating/relationship analogy!

Without furthur adieu, (or ramblings), I present my perfect line-up of boots...

P4060211.jpg

P4060212.jpg

P4060214.jpg

From left to right, and (light to heavy weight)- Garmont Vettas, Zamberlan Vioz, and Pivetta 5's.

Love is such a beautiful thing ;)

Sweet, It is nice when we find that for which we seek. Or sumthin like that!!

A I did like your relationship analogy.  And no divorce lawyers when it comes to the boot's ewven when you loose their support. ;-}>

7:31 p.m. on June 9, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

Well, since I've had to ditch my Pivetta's due to a foot issue I've been longing for that good ol' FGL feel. Luckily my rehab went well, and I was able to take a position with the USFS this summer as a Forestry Technician/ Wildland Firefighter, which means I was able to break out the White's...

Front-Oblique.jpg

That's a pair of Original Lace-to-Toe Smokejumpers fresh from a wipedown with turps and a nice coat of Obenauf's. Threw in my sounding axe for good measure...

11:08 p.m. on June 9, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I just love watchin older threads grow. Good stuff everyone. Keep it goin....

11:31 p.m. on June 9, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I need a pair of Pivetta 5s.  Anyone?  10.5 or 11.

10:37 p.m. on May 2, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

My newest aquisition: 

La Sportiva Pamirs

(before Obenauf's)

La-Sportiva-Pamir-007.jpg

(after Obenauf's)

La-Sportiva-Pamir-001.jpg

All leather, Italian made, calf-skin lining, and no Gore-tex/membrane. :)

10:50 p.m. on May 2, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

Real purty.

1:17 p.m. on May 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

very cool

2:51 p.m. on May 3, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

Ricky-P, you pulled some moderator magic to resurrect this thread from the dead, didn't you?!

I tried to add to this thread about a month ago, and it was closed...or so I thought...

At any rate, IT'S ALIVE!

My latest addition--the White's are long gone--coming soon!

Oh, and yeah, those are beauties, Rick. Obenauf's makes everything better!

6:32 p.m. on May 3, 2013 (EDT)
1,247 reviewer rep
610 forum posts

I was thinking the same thing pillow! I've been wishing this would come back up, I've got some new addition to add. Gotta get some photos this weekend!

7:39 p.m. on May 3, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

pillowthread said:

Ricky-P, you pulled some moderator magic to resurrect this thread from the dead, didn't you?!

Jake W said:

I was thinking the same thing pillow! I've been wishing this would come back up, 

I have not the foggiest idea of how this thread was reopened. :)

9:33 p.m. on May 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

sticky it!

11:48 p.m. on May 3, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,280 forum posts

Wow those are some boots Rick.  I see you're bucking the "light footwear" trend :)

6:48 a.m. on May 4, 2013 (EDT)
203 reviewer rep
26 forum posts

Since the thread is alive, I'll add in my X-rated material.  Between my Scarpas and the Salomons I've both both ends of the backpacking spectrum covered.

Mike

DSCN2913.jpg

DSCN2914.jpg

7:51 p.m. on May 4, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

makes me regret giving up my vintage osolo's...

8:04 p.m. on May 4, 2013 (EDT)
284 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

Just got back from goodwill and found these for $30.00 need some work but I feel it was a good deal.

IMG_1214.jpg

10:22 p.m. on May 9, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

bheiser1 said:

Wow those are some boots Rick.  I see you're bucking the "light footwear" trend :)

They are light Bill...

It is all about perspective. :)

I am probably going to snag up the La Sportiva Lhotse for my deep winter trips. 

7:42 p.m. on May 10, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

I have to bite. What does prOn mean? Googled it and came up empty.

Read on Obenauf's too, but the no neats foot oil has me baffled as well. I have the idea real neats foot oil is good for leather.....

Somehow I sense it's gonna be school time. :-)

8:33 a.m. on May 11, 2013 (EDT)
203 reviewer rep
26 forum posts

Just another way of saying pornography without getting picked up by the email spam filters. If you having seen it before, then you have good spam filters.  It's often accompanied by v!agra and other helpful emails.

12:27 p.m. on May 11, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Mike Russell said:

Just another way of saying pornography without getting picked up by the email spam filters. If you having seen it before, then you have good spam filters.  It's often accompanied by v!agra and other helpful emails.

Thanks Mike. Some how I kept thinking it was related to infant fish prawns... I can be either very stupid or very innocently naive sometimes.

Just leave it to a guy calling himself pillowthreads to screw me up! LOL

I should be in the garden but oddly we have rain..The soil was just tilled so it's amight soft.

I can be off topic here since I didn't know what it was.

1:24 p.m. on May 11, 2013 (EDT)
284 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

I got the above Danner Boots which are 8920 and would like to know if anyone has any information about them, I called Danner and there records on the phone does go back that far, I was told they think the boots were made in the 80's.  They are in very good shape and the leather has no breaks or damage that I can see.  I condition the leather with Nikwax conditioner and put about 10 miles of trail and about 12 hours of just wearing around.  I really like these boots but at the same time I don't know if I should wear ever so often, or go for broke down the trail. 

5:09 p.m. on April 23, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts
boots - no goretex

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/backcountry/topics/91454.html#98805

I was hoping to resurrect the Boot pr0n thread, but it is closed.  I'm looking to make a list of non-Gore-Tex hiking boot models and companies still making such models.  Please help me if you can.  I'm on the market for a new pair.

Has anyone heard of Andrew Boots out of Italy?  They make a nice-looking heavy-weight boot.

http://www.andrewshoes.com/

and make boots for a couple of German stores:

http://www.forstbekleidungschmidt-shop.de/epages/62279105.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62279105/Products/324/SubProducts/324-0014

http://www.grube.de/jagdbekleidung/herren/jagdschuhe/jagdstiefel-roen-93-839-36-variation.html

8:33 p.m. on April 23, 2014 (EDT)
99 reviewer rep
32 forum posts
Re: boots - no goretex

Scarpa Activ SL, but they may be on the heavy end of the 'hiking boot' continuum...depends on the hiker, I suppose. They are working for me, but only have a few days of solid use so far. They're not GoreTex but do have fabric liner, so a 'step down' from my (heavier and older) Scarpas with leather liner.

9:03 p.m. on April 23, 2014 (EDT)
1,247 reviewer rep
610 forum posts

I've been loving my limmers "lightweights". Only had em a year an a half but they are molding nicely.

As you are aware from the previous thread, the ever impressive Pivettas too!

12:55 a.m. on April 24, 2014 (EDT)
2,439 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

Limmer boots.  I own two pair, the standards and lightweights.  my favorite hiking boots.  probably my most comfortable shoes, period.  just resoled the standards.

6:00 a.m. on April 24, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,316 forum posts

I am really liking the Lowa Renegades(leather version) i just got. Have only had them a week and a half or so, but so far so good.

5:38 p.m. on April 24, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

Still wear Pivetta Eight's every day. Very comfortable.

Andrews makes very good boots. They made them for EMS at one time.

I think that the Old School Boots spreadsheet is still online. Yup, but it is out of date - http://overmywaders.com/OLDSCHOOLBOOTS59.htm

11:53 p.m. on April 24, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

One more vote for the re-opening of the "Boot prOn" thread...It's been done before, it can be done again...I've got additions...

12:09 a.m. on April 25, 2014 (EDT)
708 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

Galibier, available from Pella Line out of Paramus, NJ. Great boots, wonderful workmanship. I believe they dropped the Vercors last year, but still make the Super Guide and Super Rando.

5:44 p.m. on April 26, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

@ Zeno: Also, if you haven't yet found them, Nick's Boots--out of Spokane Washington--hand-makes a few models that might be good for hiking...

http://www.nicksboots.com/

I've got pair of their Alaska Tundras in an 8" height, a boot I would consider applicable for almost any terrain, so long as it doesn't dip below freezing.

12:47 p.m. on April 27, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Thanks.  Please keep the list coming.

5:48 a.m. on April 28, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts
7:21 p.m. on April 28, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I had a pair of similar Danners, and I never cared for the too few eyelets.  I felt the design made the boot react oddly, or less than its potential.  It could have just been that pair of boots, but I thought at least one additional eyelet would have made a noticeable difference.

8:42 p.m. on April 28, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

WOW...Those Vibergs are gorgeous. Things like that give me hope for the world.

9:44 p.m. on April 28, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts
2:29 p.m. on April 29, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
574 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

DSCF2362-1.jpg

I'm liking my Asolo Piumas.  They're relatively light, got a wide toe-box, a snug heel, a "Natural Shape" sole and last, and a Vibram sole ... and no water-proof liner!  

Just posted my review [
here].

4:38 p.m. on April 29, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

thanks, overmywaders.  I didn't know Merrell was making those old coots.

9:16 a.m. on April 30, 2014 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,184 forum posts

Zeno,

I really like the hobnails in your photo. Thanks for the info.

9:56 p.m. on April 30, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
812 reviewer rep
542 forum posts
7:02 a.m. on May 1, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,079 forum posts

Zeno Marx said:

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/backcountry/topics/91454.html#98805

I was hoping to resurrect the Boot pr0n thread, but it is closed.  I'm looking to make a list of non-Gore-Tex hiking boot models and companies still making such models.  Please help me if you can.  I'm on the market for a new pair.

Hi all,

As you may have noticed, I've merged these two threads together. I hope that works for you.

7:04 a.m. on May 1, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

Zeno,

If you liked those Merrells, take a look at these - http://www.ronniefieg.com/blog/topics/merrell/

7:20 a.m. on May 1, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts
10:24 a.m. on May 1, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,486 reviewer rep
1,239 forum posts

Ok, so its only one boot but Red Wing said they weren't interested in making the mate:

20140424_140223.jpg

Red Wing shoe outlet, Red Wing, MN.  Size 877. It was stitched with 5/8" rope, pretty burly.

Of course Red Wing also makes Vasque.

12:21 p.m. on May 1, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
900 reviewer rep
158 forum posts

Jeff, I was just about to post a similar photo I took when in Red Wing, MN. I didn't stand beside the boot though, so you can't tell exactly how large it is. 

I know it's not a boot, but here's a photo of one of Red Wing's original sewing machines used to make their boots. It's a thing of beauty in its own right and an employee told me that it still works good as new. Think of all the boots that thing stitched together.
IMG_0179.jpg

2:46 p.m. on May 1, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,275 forum posts

kiwi, love that photo....I like the table also

a local Levi jeans plant closed down many years ago and placed all the shop funiture on the street for anyoen that wanted it. we have a really cool old work table that serves as TV stand for our 1993 TV set. I love that worn wood

4:17 p.m. on May 1, 2014 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER REVIEW CORPS
954 reviewer rep
149 forum posts

IMG_3082.jpg

Lowa Ticam boots airing out from Maryland Heights, overlooking Harpers Ferry...

Here's my initial review on the Lowa Ticam GTX. They have about 60-70 miles on them now, and are simply.the.best.

6:44 p.m. on May 1, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

Thank you Alicia!

Pictures of my Nick's Boots Alaska Tundras to come...sold the White's Smokejumpers on account of the high heel throwing off my foot geometry...

10:25 a.m. on May 2, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,486 reviewer rep
1,239 forum posts

When I was fighting wildfires in the 1990's Nicks were actually preferred over Whites on my North Idaho crew.  We all had to bypass at least one eyelet to avoid what we called "White Bite."

11:45 a.m. on May 2, 2014 (EDT)
708 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

When I fought wildfires in college in the 1970's, I wore Buffalo boots. Buffalo Shoe Company, long gone now, but the little building still stands. Supplied to people who worked in the woods since the early 20th century. They were high quality and custom, with just a couple of models. I wish I still had mine.

8:02 p.m. on May 2, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

pillowthread, I'm looking forward to the Nick's photos.

Sean Van Cleve, those have some fancy eyelets.  I don't think eyelets are given enough notice.  I once owned a pair of Vasques with flat sheet-metal eyelets that hadn't been buffed smooth, so they still had the edge bur from the stamping.  Those boots were a real pain in the butt to get tight or to adjust.  The eyelets dug into the laces, so you had to go one row at a time tightening, and in the case where a row was too tight, go all the way back to a row to loosen if necessary, basically starting over again from that row.  And pressure from your foot in motion wouldn't self-adjust the laces and move the tension where less/more necessary.  They were almost like lacing hockey skates, but they were a lot more frustrating than that.  THE worst eyelets I've ever seen used on a boot.  Those weren't by design, either.  That was cheap materials and poor design.  I tried filing the burs and rounding out the metal, but the thickness of the sheet metal was just perfectly thin enough to bite into the laces anyway.  ARGH!

8:41 p.m. on May 2, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

No time for a proper setup right now, so here's a teaser shot...

20140502_203836-1-.jpg

Two bits if you can guess the boots on the dryer...

8:36 a.m. on May 3, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

Pivetta Eights?

10:45 p.m. on May 3, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Does Van Gorkom still make hiking boots?  Not that I'm looking to buy some.  Was wondering about a website and gawking.

10:05 p.m. on May 5, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Has anyone here ever had a Littleway welt sole replaced?  I'm guessing it would be a lot easier to find someone to work with the Norwegian welt.  Am I correct in this assumption?  And if it is a unique cobbler who can work the Littleway, any recommendations?

10:08 p.m. on May 5, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

@Zeno: Boy, I don't know about that...Dave Page is the only guy that comes to mind...maybe go international, try to find someone in France or Germany?

BTW...the boots on the dryer are a set of Schnee's Hunter II's in the 13" height with the Air Bob sole...the best pac boot around, in this fool's opinion...warm and well fitting, completely rebuildable, and light!

9:56 a.m. on May 6, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

Since most dress shoes used Littleway construction, a.k.a., Blake stitching, older cobblers could probably handle it. That said, I had a young cobbler ruin a pair of Pivettas years ago and it still hurts.

If you have Vibram soles glued and screwed onto the midsole, the only delicate work is avoiding cutting the stitching on the midsole as the outer sole is pried off.

http://www.rmresole.com/hiking.html

http://www.vasque.com/repair

http://cabotresole.com/technology.htm

4:16 p.m. on May 8, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Thanks for the links, overmywaders.  Thread is a growing, great reference.  And I didn't know it was also known as Blake Stitching.  Good information.

For those who are curious about what a full rebuild is, or maybe have the wrong idea (like I did), Wesco has an "about" video on their website, and at 6:50, they give you a quick view of what can be done to a high-quality shoe.

10:59 p.m. on May 16, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

recommended saddle soap?

12:14 p.m. on May 17, 2014 (EDT)
2,439 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

FYI, i just updated the review of my limmer lightweight boots (first reviewed in 2007).  just a tad bit more experience with the boots, and better photos.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/limmer/light-weight/?review=12208

9:48 p.m. on May 22, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I was screwing around on the Wesco site today and used their demo custom build page to get an estimate on a pair of Packers.  Out of curiosity and for entertainment.  I'm baffled by the cost of a leather lining ($99).  And a toe cap is $50.  I'm still scratching my head at the idea of those to tiny elements adding $149 to the build.  Gives good cause to really appreciate the great values on the 2nd hand market of the older handmade boots.

5:54 p.m. on July 5, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi,

I'm new to Trailspace and just stumbled upon this cool thread. Great photos.

I'm close to buying my first pair of Alico Tahoe's having been a loyal Scarpa customer for many years. As I understand it the Tahoe's are available with either a leather (preferred) or synthetic lining. Sierra TP is the only place I can find that sells Alico in the U.S. but I can't find the Tahoe with a leather lining. Anyone know where I can find them?

Also, does Alico run true to size? I typically wear a 10.5.

6:20 p.m. on July 14, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Anyone care to recommend a leather conditioner that isn't a waterproofer?  For glove linings, etc.

1:42 p.m. on September 27, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

@ Zeno: I like "Leather Honey" for such uses...You can find it on amazon...I don't know what's in it, but I've used it to restore some pretty dry, brittle leathers in the past...

Also--and this might be the real reason for my post--I tried my luck on a pair of new-with-tags-but-tried-on Meindl Perfekts that I found on ebay the other week. These are the original gangsta, German model. I actually think they're gonna work...Very similar fit and feel compared to the Pivetta 8s I started this thread with...stiff, semi-automatic crampon compatible, with a narrow heel, but a bit more room in the toebox.

20140927_133206.jpg

11:15 a.m. on September 28, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

thanks, pillowthread!  I like the look of those boots.  I wore the 8s the other day.  We had a fine time.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply