I could've sworn I packed that...

6:21 p.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

So I was I was on the trail early in the day somewhere between mile marker 20something and 30something and ran into a fellow hiker. We were trading stories while he hiked with me for a few miles. He told me of an experience he had where he left his Garmin at a shelter area.

Got me kinda thinkin. This could be a fun thread.

So Trailspace, what have ya accidentally left on the trail as a gift to "Mother Nature"(or another hiker?)

7:08 p.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
670 reviewer rep
3,092 forum posts

I don't know if it's fair to use this example, but one of my best friends left my new ice axe on the summit of Mount Washington in winter. Four of us had gone up together. She and her boyfriend went down a different way due to some boot issues.

When we met up again at the bottom there was no ax. We left a lost-and-found notice, but someone walked off with a new axe. She felt bad and bought us a new one though.

Last year, I left a brand new Tilley hat on the trail. It was a short out and back trail and I went back a day later to retrieve it, thinking some honest folk would leave it at the trailhead, but no luck.

7:11 p.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

You do know that Tilley will replace your hat at half price if lost, stolen, or destroyed.  I own lots of Tilleys as I can't leave home without one.

7:20 p.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
670 reviewer rep
3,092 forum posts

apeman said:

You do know that Tilley will replace your hat at half price if lost, stolen, or destroyed.  I own lots of Tilleys as I can't leave home without one.

Yes, good point. Thanks for mentioning that.

The Tilley folks me the same thing. Since I'd received the hat as a sample to test, I figured I had enough info at the time and didn't want to feel like I was scamming for a new one. So I didn't replace it.

I admit, I was annoyed though that someone decided to take it home rather than leave it for its owner. It actually inspired me to write a blog on this subject.

7:49 p.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

For future reference, to all Tilley owners, Tilly recomends writting your name/info on the inside of the hat with a permenate marker.  Tilly hats also have a hidden pocket with "velcro" on the inside of the top of the hat to put info and other stuff.  There cool hats and I own a buch of hats, go figure, and only three are not Tilleys. 

Sorry to get so of topic, "we now return you  to your regualrly scheduled program"

8:12 p.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,493 forum posts

Not on the trail.....but I once forgot to pack my sleeping bag into my backpack.

I tossed gear into the back of my truck to sort later because I was in a hurry to meet someone at a trailhead.

I grabbed my pack, hat, water bottle, etc. and headed down the trail, more than halfway to the campsite and about dark, I realized I did not have a sleeping bag. It was a sick and embarrassing feeling.

My buddies loaned me some extra layers to wear and I made it through the night.

One of the dumber things I've ever done, not that it's a short list.

10:12 p.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,196 forum posts

I left a cheap china-mart wristwatch on top of Big Frog Mountain.  It was hot and I wanted off in the worse way.  It's still up there I guess.  That wasn't the first time I lost a watch on a backpacking trip.  I've lost a few stakes over the years, and broke many more in frozen ground.

11:27 p.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

i was doing a short section of the pacific crest trail from ashland oregon west to the red buttes wilderness and then back to cave junction on the boundry trail. i was traveling horseback and when i made camp the first night on a planned 4 day trip i discovered i had left my food bag. lucky for me i had packed the rolled oats for the horse. i pressed on hoping there was enough grass for the horse. after 2 days out i met a north bound pacific crest trail hiker who said he had packed way too many raisins and insisted that i relieve him of a few pounds. whoa boy oatmeal and raisins and once we got off the pacific crest trail lots of tall grass. both of us arrived home a little thinner than when we left, but what a nice trip that was. 

2:11 a.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,303 forum posts

trouthunter said:

Not on the trail.....but I once forgot to pack my sleeping bag

OK, I've been too embarrassed about this now to admit it :), but I did the same thing once.  I wasn't backpacking, though, I was car camping.  I arrived in a campground near Yosemite in the wee hours of the morning, set up my tent, got ready to roll out my sleeping bag ... ooops ...

Fortunately I was able to stay warm by wrapping myself in extra clothes & a wool blanked I always carry in my Jeep to cover such contingencies.

As far as gear left behind ... not on the trail (knock on wood) but I had a really nice metal camping lantern that my grandparents had owned for years and handed down to me.  I left it in a rest room in a campground in Cape Breton Island.  It wasn't long before I realized I'd left it behind, but when I went to find it, it was gone.  The park office people knew nothing of it.  I was heartbroken :(.

Until then I'd been of the view that "campers won't take anything, ... they're campers".   At least that's what I was taught growing up.  Live and learn ...

The downright strangest thing that's happened to me was at a campground near Lake Almanor in California.  I was camped there with a friend in October, when the park water was shut off but the campground was still open.  We left a 7-gallon jug of water at the campsite.  When we got back the jug was still there, but most of the water was gone.  I was flabbergasted that someone would steal water ... unless it was some kind of emergency.  Maybe they thought I left it out in my site in case anyone wanted any :).

Anyway I hope this hasn't gotten too far off topic :).

8:42 a.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

On the water jug thing. On the trail I am on now(LHHT) quite a few of the hand pumps are out of order so the DCNR brings in jugs of water. I never use them though. Way too many streams and my filter works fine.

Night before last no water except a little trickle on a borderline dried up stream. Nothing a little time and a trash bag couldn't handle. ;)

9:51 a.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Fortunately I realized before getting too far up the trail, and it was still there when I jogged back for it.

I've hung a pair of socks out to dry, and forgotten them when leaving camp. Definitely not worth humping back in to get.

I seem to have misplaced a pair of trekking poles after their last use, but I have absolutely no idea where. Very annoying.

My most entrertaining experience was finding some items left by another group of hikers. I was hiking a section of the Cumberland Trail near my home and came across a $1500 SLR lens and a pair of keys. I had not met anyone on the trail the direction I had come, so I picked them up and carried them with me. When I looped back to the trailhead, I still hadn't met anyone. After waiting half an hour, and needing to leave soon, I decided to look for the owners car. I found it using the key-fob panic button and Viola! There was a cell phone sitting in the seat! I called the last number dialed using my cell, and reached the group who had left it. They arrived soon after, and were quite happy I hadn't made off with the whole lot- car, lens, and cell phone. Being able to help out made my day, for sure.     

11:05 a.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

Not exactly on topic but close:

Last year I was on planned 40 mile point to point hike over three days and left my Thermarest neo-air at a shelter 8 miles behind me.  I had to really evaluate what it was worth to me….if I retrieved it and returned so as to keep my itinerary it would make my 8 mile day a 24 mile day (and there was a lot of elevation gain factored in as well). Or I could have returned, stayed another night at the last shelter again and tried to find a new exit point for the trip (which would have required missing my scheduled pick-up as well the complications of finding a new ride.)

I was actually leaning towards leaving it and continuing with no sleep pad, but man that is an expensive pad.

Luckily an Appalachian Trail Conservancy Ridge Runner came to the rescue and volunteered to go get it. It wasn’t a totally altruistic gesture as he had some maintenance responsibilities at that previous shelter but I tipped him well for the effort…..

11:05 a.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

Nothing really comes to mind, but I sure I've walked off and left something in all the years past.  But I've found some pretty cool stuff, too!  Best was a brand new Garmin 60sc GPS.  I left notices at the trailhead, but no one ever claimed it. - Jim

12:43 p.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

gonzan said:

..Being able to help out made my day, for sure.     

They SO owe you a beer - or six!

Ed

12:54 p.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I left an expensive kershaw assisted folding knive at a lake in California while bass fishing. My wife says that sometimes I leave my head on the trails-maybe she is right.

1:10 p.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

A group of us ended up abandoning a whole bunch of gear ($thousands worth), while escaping with our lives from a high altitude weather event in Peru. Part of our team subsequently assisted rescuing other climbers, also pinned down.  They were also forced to abandon large amounts of gear.  In fact four other teams on the mountain faced the same fate.  I like to think the local guides enjoyed a windfall, but it is just al likely our stuff is still up there, since we were on a rarely traveled route.

And of course over the years there is the climbing gear left behind; rappelling anchors, various hardware that worked its way too far into cracks to extract, and stuff that gets dropped.   Don't forget the occasional stuff that get left out in the open, only to be lost under the evening's snow; a stuff sack, cord, carabineers, and other small items

The one item I most regret parting ways with was a pair of custom designed sun glasses a friend made me as a gift.  It was in the early 1990s and I set them down somewhere on the trailside while donning rain gear.  If you happen to come across a really cool pair of shades on the trail between Lake Edison and the Silver Divide please let me know.

Ed

1:31 p.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

whomeworry said:

gonzan said:

..Being able to help out made my day, for sure.     

They SO owe you a beer - or six!

Ed

Haha, I would have taken them up on that had they offered :)

10:57 p.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I don't remember I forgot ,.........

2:19 a.m. on June 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

The only backpacking gear I've lost has been in the while not in the backcountry.

On the first cross country motorcyle trip I took in 1977 I had my new , never used new TNF Ring Oval Intention with me.  At some point when stopping for gas I noticed that I was missing the tent poles.  It had been 175 miles since I'd seen them.  As I didn't know where I might have lost them I rode back to where I'd seen them last trying to look at the other side of teh highway.  After getting back to my starting point and not seeing them I turned around and with my tail between my legs continued on.  After about 35 miles I thought I saw something.  I turned around on the highway and low and behold they they were sticking half in and half out of the weeds.  It was a lucky day indeed.

I left the best boots I had ever owned (a pair of Lowes) in a collage locker room after playing raquetball.  Wore my tennies right out the door.  never saw them agian.  It was a unluckyday indeed.

4:31 p.m. on June 17, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
479 forum posts

Left a nice SLR with long lens on top of car as I loaded other stuff in.

Yep...its on the road someplace out of Cokeville Wy.

4:56 p.m. on June 17, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

speacock said:

Left a nice SLR with long lens on top of car as I loaded other stuff in.

Yep...its on the road someplace out of Cokeville Wy.

That physically makes me feel pain just thinking about it :(

*shudders*

What model was the camera & how long/fast was the lens?

2:23 a.m. on June 18, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

It seems that everytime I go out I loose my bad attitude and leave boat loads of stress behind. I sure hope it doesnt latch on to those that follow behind me

5:40 a.m. on June 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

It seems that everytime I go out I loose my bad attitude and leave boat loads of stress behind. I sure hope it doesnt latch on to those that follow behind me

Amen brother. I just got back and I am once again "whole." :)

11:09 p.m. on June 18, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

I've left about 20 knives in the woods, 10 or so flashlights, 3 sets of eyeglasses, 2 compasses, 2 sporks, a hand saw, and a set of Komperdell hiking poles...more to come...

11:11 p.m. on June 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I've left about 20 knives in the woods, 10 or so flashlights, 3 sets of eyeglasses, 2 compasses, 2 sporks, a hand saw, and a set of Komperdell hiking poles...more to come...

Ouch....

11:12 p.m. on June 18, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

oh yeah...and most recently, 10 MSR Groundhog stakes in a nice, bright red sil-nylon sack. That's gonna be a mighty fine trail gift.

3:09 a.m. on June 19, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I lost a small pair of binocs once.Probably left them on the roof of my car and drove off. Fortunately, they were cheap ones and easily replaceable.  On another trip, left a fuel bottle in the garage after filling it up. Didn't figure that out until I got to Yosemite. That time, I had a canister stove as a spare, so got along without it.

I see posts on Views from the Top (a NE site I belong to for no apparent reason) for found or lost gear fairly regularly. Sometimes, it's things like one snowshoe. Makes you wonder how that happened.

8:52 a.m. on June 19, 2011 (EDT)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

I drop a knife in Timberline Lake, near Leadville  Colorado area.  I could see it in about 12 to 14 feet of water.  I strip down and was going to be a fool and get that knife, made it to my chest and got out.  This was in late summer and you could see the snow pack feeding this lake, because it was next to the lake.

5:56 p.m. on June 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

hey pillowthread, why don't you send me your itenerary as I could always use so more gear ;-}> .

8:04 p.m. on June 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

hey pillowthread, why don't you send me your itenerary as I could always use so more gear ;-}> .

Funny, I was thinkin the same thing.

12:08 a.m. on June 20, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

I should mention that I've been backpacking for some 17 years and while I've developed a more keen sense of appreciation for money over the years, I still don't quite understand it; though most of the things I listed were lost during my scouting years, I still lose focus often enough to lose things with such frequency that I wonder why I can't just remember to not forget stuff.

That being said, one would have to follow me for quite some time to glean anything of worth these days...

12:49 a.m. on June 20, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

A penny whistle escaped from my pack during a water crossing through heavy bush--found it when somebody behind me and was playing it...badly...

The worst though, was I dropped my brand new--never been used lightweight Gerber knife my hubby had gotten me for Christmas while I was out on a 3 day snowshoe trip. Never had the guts to tell him I replaced it. Glad he never reads these posts... :)

3:34 a.m. on June 20, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Speaking of doing dumb things, I set a pair of skis against a tree at Dewey Point in Yosemite and walked away to take some pictures. When I turned around to get them, I had no idea where they were. Took me at least half an hour to find them again. Kind of like forgetting where your car is in a big car park. Back when I lived in Hawaii, I left my car at the Interisland terminal in Honolulu for a few days and had no idea where it was when I came back. Finally found it after a level by level search.

btw, I have big red TNF down parka I take winter camping. When people ask me about it, I tell them I like the color because it's easy to spot from a helicopter.  :)

9:25 a.m. on June 20, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Tom D said:

I see posts on Views from the Top (a NE site I belong to for no apparent reason) for found or lost gear fairly regularly. Sometimes, it's things like one snowshoe. Makes you wonder how that happened.

That sounds like one strange trip out of the woods!

7:22 p.m. on June 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I found a tent one time years(10+) back with no poles or anything else. From the damage it had I believed it was out there for quite some time.

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply