Staying Clean in the Backcountry

1:56 p.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

Obviously the best way to stay clean is to bathe and wash (especially socks) frequently in water.  And of course in the backcountry, B.O. doesn’t really matter.  But comfort does, and for civilization-dwellers, we get thoroughly used to that “clean feel”, not to mention the rashes/skin irritation and blisters that comes from sweat-soaked and bacteria-filled materials.

What techniques do you use to feel clean enough for a good outlook?  Have you tried using concentrated rubbing alcohol since it kills bacteria?

4:12 p.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I personally use unscented baby wipes. Doesn't get ya as clean as a shower but I have used them on week long+ trip with pretty good results.

4:12 p.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

How do you 'bathe' while hiking / backpacking ??

Check out this forum that is a few down the list from yours.  We have collectively answered many of your questions and more :)

BTW, good castille soap, like Doctor Bronners, is a good selection for all of your body and clothing washing needs.

4:51 p.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Here is a previous discussion that we had here on this very topic. I believe this is the one second gear is referring too.

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/backcountry/topics/88428.html#88456

9:10 p.m. on June 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

Excellent resource; thanks for the link.

10:44 p.m. on June 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Never a problem. Key strokes are easy. ;)

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply