About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Backcounty Water Just Got More Accessible

3:39 p.m. on August 1, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

An Israeli designer named Ori Levin has designed a canoe that weighs only 9lbs and folds down to 28 x 5 x 9 inches.

The one person canoe is made of carbon fiber and aramide, and can be assembled in about 5 minutes.

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/8/view/15876/ori-levin-adhoc-folding-canoe.html

copy_0_img_4834w.jpg

It is not currently available for purchase, as the one above is the first and only one made so far.

7:16 p.m. on August 1, 2011 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

That's pretty darned cool!!

8:52 p.m. on August 1, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Class VI rapids here I come. :)

10:58 a.m. on August 2, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,939 forum posts

Maybe Lake Powell? Looks interesting, but flimsy?

alpacka-explorer-raft.jpg

Alpacka's Explorer raft

Wt 5.10 lbs

Roll Down Size: Approximately 8" diameter x 24" long.

Price: $895.00

www.alpackaraft.com

9:24 a.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Yeah, those Alpacka's are pretty awesome. I would love to check them out in person sometime.

9:48 a.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,138 forum posts

Thanks! Another piece of gear to covet.  Just what I needed!

10:07 a.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,939 forum posts

Your'e welcome!

11:55 a.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Interesting for very calm water. Not sure how you can paddle sitting so low in the boat though. I know I would never appreciate my life jacket more then when sitting in canoe.:) No offense for those interested in purchase, but I wonder if users could compete for a Darwin award. That's right Rick, Austria has some cool white water rapids. Reminds me of the time a took a little ride without being in the raft...ouch!. Austrian mountain water is cooooold!!!

12:19 p.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

from the photos of the completed version, it apears to have an elevated seat.

12:38 p.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Funny Gonzan, after looking at the guy sitting in the boat I see he does not have elevated seat attached. Still, the whole contraption reminds me of a folding lawn chair..I have seen funny things happen to people in lawn chairs. I would have to see it in action though. I was born in Missouri-the show me state. I still would need two things-a life jacket and a prayer :)

2:42 p.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Cool idea, but I would not trust it on water that was not smooth as glass and shallow. I guess I am chicken.

4:30 p.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Interesting....  I wonder what the weight limit is? :) 

As for that big yellow school bus (Alpacka's Explorer raft) I hope it comes with a PUMP!  I think I would die before I got it blown up!! :D

Wolfman

8:56 p.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,939 forum posts

alpackaraft.jpg

Another shot of the Alpacka Explorer in use.

Says it includes: Stuff sack, basic repair kit, inflation bag. Removable seat. 2 stern grab loops, 4 bow grab loops

Site say's:

All our boats come with an "inflation bag," which is an ultra-light air pump used to inflate the boat. With practice, use of the inflation bag can inflate your boat quickly and easily.

The inflation bag's threaded nozzle screws into your boat's main valve. By scooping air into the the inflation bag like a garbage bag and "squeezing" the air into the boat, you inflate your boat. Experienced users can fill a boat in about a minute. Constructed of sil-nylon with two rigid bamboo struts, the bag can be rolled up and stuffed into your pack. There are other ways to inflate your boat, but this method has four great assets:

With practice, it's fast.
It doesn't run out of batteries.
It's very packable and weighs almost nothing.

12:22 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Gary, that Dagger is pretty nice. Tryin to figure out why the guy in the raft is hangin out with a truck tire...

7:13 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

i was wondering the same...

8:33 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
573 forum posts

I didn't even notice that the first time I looked at that picture.

9:07 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Looks to me like they are hauling out trash.  The guy in from has something in his lap that dose not look like camping or rafting gear.  Good for these two!

I might have to look into getting one of those!  I wonder how they do in the surf?  But for a thousand bucks....  Might have to sell one of my kids or something! :D  Anyone want a slightly used wife??  :D

10:21 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

I am pretty sure the guy in the kayak is carrying a largish pump for full sized whitewater rafts. The bottom with foot tabs is facing us, the black handle is next to and parallel to his left arm, and the flexible blue fill-tubing is wrapped around it.  

The tire, however, still confuses me :)

1:19 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,939 forum posts

Maybe he's a hoarder, and when he saw it laying along the river could'nt turn it down for his collection.

Must be pretty stable if it holds him and the tire so well.

3-men-in-a-raft.jpg

Three men in a Alpacka Explorer raft

Double-Duck.jpg

Price: $865.00

Our 2-person calm water boat is designed to be paddled by two people with gear, either canoe-style or with two kayak paddles. This is another one I am considering. It weighs 5 lbs without the seats, 5.11 lb with seats.

8:14 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Santa Cruz Kayaks Raptor.... I may see this making its way to me in the not so distant future.

raptor11.jpg

Here is a vid on it.

http://youtu.be/Qxal7C5Qehk

It is a mono hull catamaran hybrid. Very stable. Should be great for fishing or travel. Comes in other colors as well. You can also convert this for an electric motor. Its made in the US...

Here is more from the site.

http://santacruzkayaks.com/

...and a breakdown of The Raptor.

http://santacruzkayaks.com/products.htm

11:50 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

That would be great for my 25 HP motor!  It would be quite a good little runabout.  :D

April 24, 2014
Quick Reply