WMNF to be Closed due to Hurricane Irene

3:53 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Wow, I've never seen this before!

I just saw an email "Special Notice" from the AMC saying the White Mountain National Forest will be closed effective 6pm Saturday Aug 27 thru midnight Mon Aug 29 due to the approaching Hurricane Irene.

The closure includes all trails, campgrounds, developed sites, huts, shelters, and ski areas.

Maybe this has happened before??? and I just didn't see it because Internet communications weren't as developed as they are today back when I was in New England?  (I was there til 1998)

3:58 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

While I understand everyone wanting to be prepared for the worse I think there is a sense of "panic" on the east coast because lets face it...This isn't something that happens very often when compared to the gulf coast etc. 

I guess better to be safe than sorry.

4:51 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I guess they don't want the likes of iClimb getting obliterated by the impending 150-200mph wind on the peaks of Jefferson, Adams, and Washington ;)

4:56 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

gonzan said:

I guess they don't want the likes of iClimb getting obliterated by the impending 150-200mph wind on the peaks of Jefferson, Adams, and Washington ;)

As long as he guyed his tent out right he would be fine :p

12:14 p.m. on August 29, 2011 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

I've been wondering what AT through hikers did during Hurricane Irene. Looks as if it pretty much went through the whole trail. I'm picturing very packed shelters and lots of tarps.

I got hit kinda hard here in NJ and almost set up a tent (guy lines to all over) outside in the yard to see how well it help up. My GF talked me out of it, thankfully.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply