Waterproof new tent?

3:55 p.m. on September 16, 2011 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Just purchased Eureka Sunrise 9.  Set it up.  Like it.

Should I silicone spray tent as I have with other tents in the past?

5:57 p.m. on September 16, 2011 (EDT)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

With 1200 mm on the fly and walls you souldnt have to for a year or two. But if you plan to be camping in all day all night rains for a week or two 1200mm isnt going to hold up to the soaking. I live on the PNW coastline. Summers I look for 1000mm, winters 3000mm.

But it wouldnt hurt to spray those areas under the rainfly. As wind could drive the moister up there. The important thing is to stay dry.

2:27 p.m. on September 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

There's absolutely no reason to use silicone spray on tent material. Your tent fabric already has a waterproof urethane coating. I've heard of using non staining, non greasy silicone spray on tent zippers only, but you may want to consider this. Eureka makes good tents, trust their years of expertise before you use a product that may damage your investment AND void the warranty.

Eureka Tent Care

5:39 p.m. on September 17, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Arrrr, yes, the tent manufacturers recommendations and instructions for product care.

Follow these until the tent starts to deteriorate and or not work correctly as advertised.

Then consider and if out of warranty, using a waterproofing wash.  Put the tent/fly/footprint in a tumble washing machine (not agitating machine) and wash on cold and gentle and short and no spin dry.  Remove and air dry, best not in direct sunlight.

Common sense should prevail in the interim to take good care of your tent.

Remember that when your tent starts to wear out there are many other newer options and improved material tents on the market

12:40 p.m. on September 18, 2011 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

I have a Walrus Arch tent that I got in the late 90's.  I am not sure what it is made out of, silnylon or Urethane treated nylon.  I dose sag when it gets wet, well at least the rain fly dose.  Dose any one know how I can find out what the tent is made out of?  I would like to re-waterproof the fly and the floor, the rest of it is mesh. 

Reading what abman47 posted in the links it sounds like I need to be very careful on what I use.  I do not want to damage the tent!

100_0785.jpg

Here she is on the beach.  This is where she has spent most of the time pitched!  (That's my old external frame pack in the back, I use it when I carry a Raccoon bucket - 5 gal food bucket)

You can see the slight sage here, I can't remember if this was after the wet night or before.  But it dose sag a bit when wet. 

I currently have two products from REI;

Pengum, Sport-Wash, what they recommended to clean the tent with.

And

Nikwax Tent and Gear Solarproof, it's a hand spray so not propellents.  It is for waterproofing and UV blocking. 

Anyone have experience with either of these products and any thoughts on using them on my baby? My Tent :)

4:55 p.m. on September 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Wolfman, your Arch Rival was manufactured before Walrus started using their Diamondback(TM) fabric:

"FLYSHEETS
Our rainflys are made of an exclusive blend of polyester and nylon, in a weave we call Diamondback™. This combination resists UV degradation better than nylon alone, and is more dimensionally stable, providing less sag when wet and less shrinkage when hot. "

So is Urethane coated nylon.  As far as the products you mention, I haven't tried either of them, but would suggest that when you use ANY product to clean your tent: set it up and spot clean the dirty areas with a non abrasive cloth, then if you wish to dunk the entire tent to clean it, don't leave the tent to soak. Nikwax makes great products, and anything that will reduce UV deterioration is a step in the right direction. I've also had success using McNett Mirazyme to reduce the smell of decomposing urethane and general "funky tent smell'.

12:02 a.m. on September 19, 2011 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

I don't have any funky tent smell yet, cross my fingers and knock on wood!

Nor do I have any of the usual UV related problems, stiff fabric and prone to ripping.  But I it dose seem to get a lot of moisture on the inside when it is wet out.  Probably be cause of al my heavy breathing and the lack of ventilation.  :)  But after 13 or 14 years?? It could probably use some help.

What the guy at REI said was to use my tub to clean the fabric and then set it up to apply the sealer and let it dry.  The Nikwax Tent and Gear Solarproof is water based and after reading the instructions it says it good to apply to a damp tent.  Given the arch pattern I think that would be the best way to do it.  Just not sure how I am going to do the bottom yet.  Maybe set it up but upside down.  That would sure look strange. :)  Maybe I will just lay it out upside down and do it that way. 

I am going to check the Nikwax web site and see what they have to say also.

Thanks for the info abman47, at least it's not silnylon.

Wolfman

11:11 p.m. on September 22, 2011 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

jerryo

Some Eureka tents need to have the seams done , others are factory taped. Yours probably is factory taped, you can check yourself by looking at the fly from under it. No you do not need to do the fly when new. Franco

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply