Hiking Failure

10:08 a.m. on September 27, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
812 reviewer rep
542 forum posts

I put this topic in the beginner category and you will see why.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=8366592

12:33 p.m. on September 27, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I was watching this on the news last night. I had another one of those "what were they thinking" moments.

6:46 a.m. on September 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Wished the footage was a little cleaner and you had a better shot overall of that cliff. Is that a rope next to her? Guess we'll never know why she decided to head down the side of that cliff off trail.

8:03 a.m. on September 29, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

At least she'll have that opportunity NOT to do that again.  Too many times it is the last mistake they'll ever make.

11:10 a.m. on September 29, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,486 reviewer rep
1,239 forum posts

Watch that first step...

11:32 a.m. on September 29, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

@Rocklion- what I got out of it from what I have seen of this story on the news is that it was a make-shift attachment point(webbing?)

I watched the footage quite a few times. If you are looking directly at her and look to the right there was a way for her to climb out. Her friend climbed out of there. I personally think she froze up(then again I wasn't there so who knows.) 

From what I read she had a "death grip" on the rocks and the SAR had to practically pry her off the face. 

12:28 p.m. on September 29, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Another unnecessary tax payer expenditure.

She definitely did not look prepared for her adventure.

I hope she was sent a Bill for the rescue.

2:08 p.m. on September 29, 2011 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

I agree that her decision to climb down or up, whatever the case may be, was a poor one, but who among us can say we have never done anything similar.  I still remember backpacking alone in the Rockies when I came upon a hanging cornice in late July; I climbed up on it, and it began to move.  Fortunately, I was able to scramble to safety before it completely fell away.  Was it dumb?  Yep.  Did I think I had a good reason for doing it at the time?  Yep.  Would I do it again?  Nope.  Some times we don't get second chances; I am happy that she is.  Just my two cents.

2:10 p.m. on September 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

was she hiking or climbing? she certainly looked like she wasn't dressed for hiking :)

but I can understand total panic moments and she probably really did freeze up. Oh well, at least she's alive and safe...

10:53 a.m. on October 2, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
812 reviewer rep
542 forum posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKc4DjMjn_c

Here's a longer clip.  She definitely is no climber.  She's not wearing a harness.  Plus that "rock" she was on looks old and crumbly.  Looks like sedimentary rock not smooth granite.  Her friend probably coaxed her into to climbing down and they realized they made a big mistake.

9:26 a.m. on October 3, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

rob5073 said:

She definitely is no climber.  She's not wearing a harness.  Plus that "rock" she was on looks old and crumbly.  Looks like sedimentary rock not smooth granite.  Her friend probably coaxed her into to climbing down and they realized they made a big mistake.

I do agree it does look like that rock is pretty rotten.

Sedimentary rock can provide excellent climbing; whether or not it does depends on what type of sedimentary rock you're dealing with. 

12:23 p.m. on October 3, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
812 reviewer rep
542 forum posts

gonzan said:

rob5073 said:

She definitely is no climber.  She's not wearing a harness.  Plus that "rock" she was on looks old and crumbly.  Looks like sedimentary rock not smooth granite.  Her friend probably coaxed her into to climbing down and they realized they made a big mistake.

I do agree it does look like that rock is pretty rotten.

Sedimentary rock can provide excellent climbing; whether or not it does depends on what type of sedimentary rock you're dealing with. 

Yes, like a sandstone formation.  I think that stuff might have been a old conglomerate.

1:37 p.m. on October 3, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

yeah, oolitic and smooth limestone is often alright as well, though it is obnoxious if you find a horizontal band of congomerate choss in the middle of a face.

9:58 a.m. on October 14, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Every time I watch "I Shouldn't Be Alive" I feel just the same! Most of them are hikers who never tell anyone where they are going and don't bring the essentials for if they get lost or hurt.  Just the other day I heard the news about a 60 year old guy who, inspired by the man who had to cut his arm off in Utah, went hiking where he had gone. Well, I guess he didn't listen to the real important part of Arron's story because HE HAD NOT TOLD WHERE HE WAS GOING and neither did this 60 year old. He ended up falling and breaking a leg and having to use his GPS to PULL HIMSELF ACROSS THE DESERT to try to get back to his car. Authorities found him because they found his car first. This just brings STUPID full circle.

2:44 p.m. on October 14, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Darwin ?????????

9:56 a.m. on October 15, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
812 reviewer rep
542 forum posts

I hike alone probably 90% of the time, however, my wife knows where I am going, I have a GPS and a compass, a map if unfamiliar with the area, an emergency shelter I made by duct taping two survival blankets together and a firestarter kit (lighter and PJ cotton balls).  I'm not a risk taker and I don't climb, so other than wild animal attacks or a sprained ankle, I think I'm good.  I will "climb" a mountain if there is a trail to the top, LOL.  The thing I worry about the most is being butted by a bull elk or a buck deer during the rut and of course, hunters (bright colors are great).  I have frequently spooked elk and deer on a trail while they were eating, sometimes within 10 yards of me.  Most of the time it happens when I am looking at the trail, if it is rocky, for places to place my feet, so I am not paying too much attention to what is further ahead of me.  It really gets your heart racing when they go bounding off into the woods.

10:26 a.m. on October 15, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

rob5073 said:

I hike alone probably 90% of the time, ........  It really gets your heart racing when they go bounding off into the woods.

I am guessing I will never see you on an episode of I shouldn't be alive...you are too prepared! Good for you!...One I saw was a guy rafting the Colorado and his 1k pound raft overturned, and he lost all of his survival/expedition supplies. He did some kinda dumb stuff trying to get out of the canyon and injured himself. He had actually told his friend who had dropped him up river the day he should be at the terminus and if he wasn't to get help as that would mean there was trouble. The friend was there when the rafter did not show up. Instead of following the rafters instructions, he concluded the rafter had just decided to take a side trip or something and blew it off so no rescuers were sent. Only reason he made it was rangers found his raft a bazillion miles down river and rescued him. By then he was laying on the beach hallucinating and unable to do anything to help himself any more.

3:10 p.m. on October 18, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

Darwin Award honorable mention...i think your stupidity must cause your own death to get a full Darwin. 

from the looks of this, she downclimbed to an uncomfortable place and got scared.  maybe she didn't realize that the increasingly steep way down was turning into a cliff, wasn't familiar with the area.  funny thing is, climbing up is normally a lot easier and less scary than going down. 

1:30 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

Darwin Award honorable mention...i think your stupidity must cause your own death to get a full Darwin. 

from the looks of this, she downclimbed to an uncomfortable place and got scared.  maybe she didn't realize that the increasingly steep way down was turning into a cliff, wasn't familiar with the area.  funny thing is, climbing up is normally a lot easier and less scary than going down. 

Well said

4:42 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Here are the rules to be considered for the darwin award(s):

"So how are the Darwin Awards actually determined?

Nominees significantly improve the gene pool by eliminating
themselves from the human race in an obviously stupid way. They are
self-selected examples of the dangers inherent in a lack of common sense, and all human races, cultures, and socioeconomic groups are eligible to compete.

Actual winners must meet the following criteria:

Reproduction
   Out of the gene pool: dead or "sterile".
Excellence
   Astounding misapplication of judgment.
Self-Selection
   Cause one's own demise.
Maturity
   Capable  of sound judgment.
Veracity
   The event must be true........................"

This info was garnered from:

http://www.darwinawards.com/rules/

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply