eureka backcountry 2,opinions?

8:21 a.m. on November 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

does anyone have experience and/or opinions about eureka backcountry 2? its been out of regular production since 2001 but is still manufactured retailer specific.i would appreciate anyones opinion.

4:51 p.m. on November 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

The reviews a Campmor complained of excessive condensation. There are some reviews on Trailspace also.  Eureka makes pretty good tents. The only thing I would worry about is that it's fly is not a full coverage one.  If that big screen door doesn't have a "solid" door to cover it and you get a blowing rain headed at it you, you will get soaked. 

There are other tents out there that have the full fly and way less. I have an Alps Mountaineering Chaos 3 which is very close in size and weight and has vestibules for gear.  The Chaos 2 is lighter and with the vestibules it is probably the closest to the Eureka.

Another tent to look at is The North Face Rock 22 - Tent

8:37 p.m. on November 5, 2011 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Unk,

Try taking a look at the Eureka Forte(5lb 4oz). I have the Forte SQ 2xt version. This may now be discontinued but old stock may still be available. The 2xt version has a full rain fly and enough guy outs to make it nearly tornado proof. My only gripe is that the top spreader bar is a pain in the butt to insert into the mate in the liner. Maybe I need to exercise it more. The base model is scalloped out more perhaps for ventilation. Campmor is still listing the 2xt. Check the price.... :)
Forte-sq-2xt.jpghttp://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27921

I also have an Alps Zephyr 3. I and many others see the Zephyr 3 more as a 2-1/2 person tent. It has a full rain fly and assembles very easy. Watch the pole tips, they will slip out when disassembling. Some reviews complain about stability in the wind. I don't see their point. If it is guyed out and the Velcro fastened from the rain fly along the tent poles it would take a heck of a rustle to shift this tent. the (Z2 is 4lb 8oz) & (Z3 5lb 3oz)

Alps-Zephyr-2.jpg
http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/tents/lightweight-tents/zephyr-2

I see both of these tents as having great value for their low price. They are very light and built as well as much more expensive tents.

All tents should come with two cans of waterproofing silicone spray and Kelty Triptease Liteline guy string.

Hope this helps,

AR

11:05 p.m. on November 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I also have the Zephyr 3.  Both my Alps tent's pole tips slip out. I'm thinking a small metal punch might do the trick.

12-Camp-at-Bradley-Gap.jpg

Foreground is the Chaos 3 and the Zephyr is on the right.

The Chaos will stake down tighter and has more guy line points. I think it would do better in higher wind speeds than the Zephyr. 

Both the Chaos and Zephyr show up on steepandcheap.com. The Zephyr for ~$90 and the Chaos ~$115 for 3 person sizes.

6:45 a.m. on November 6, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

thanks for the responses but the main reason i was considering backcountry2 is for the closable vents,that tent can be completely closed up,the next up would be the alpenlite2xt.other than expedition tents(way out of price range)i dont know of any others w/closable vents.i considered north face flint2,has less mesh than rock22,looked at all forte sq incarnations but saw some negative reviews about leaking.will have to do some more looking,thanx

2:03 p.m. on November 6, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

At the risk of sounding sanctimonious and I'm sure I will offer this. Regarding Eureka tents. If you are considering the lower end of the Eureka tent line, there is always a better choice in other tent brands, always. Regarding the Eureka tent line. In the past Eureka made some high quality tents in all their price ranges. In this day and age they are a mass market tent maker that does not appear to give much thought to product quality and detail at the lower end of the tent line. There are a few upper end tents that they make that seem to be ok but again if you going to spend the money on an upper end Eureka then there are so many better choices. I would do not know your financial situation but I would implore you to reconsider the amount of money you what to spend on a tent and try and save some more money for a better quality tent both in brand and quality. You can  regularly  get 2x and sometimes 3x the amount of tent if you buy used of off EBay and or Craigslist. Flat out, I do this every day, literally, every day regarding gear and anything else I need. There are three things that are most important not to skimp on in the back country, Boots/hiking shoes, Backpacks, and Tents, not necessarily in that order. You can skimp on much or all of the other gear that is necessary for backpacking but I can almost guarantee that if you buy a cheap Eureka you will very soon be looking for another tent. Why not get it right the first time? Eureka is one of the last American tent companies that has not sold out to big corporations. Unfortunately they have followed big business in regards to how they make there tents, it‘s called quarterly profits not quality tent making. I collect tents and I only own one Eureka, the ECWT(ECWS). The only reason I own that tent is they made it for the American Military and they had to make it out of high quality material's as well as quality fit and finish as they were under contract to do so. It is truly a quality tent,  If you compare Eureka's up against say The North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, Big Agnes (really, where did they come up with that name?) etc. There is no comparison. Then compare them up against the European tent makers, well no……..never mind………that's just to embarrassing . I implore you to look longer, farther, and harder to find a better quality tent. If you have your mind set upon getting a Eureka tent then please, if at all possible save a little extra money and keep your eyes open on Craigslist and or EBay to move up the ladder to a much better tent. In the end I believe you will be so happy you did this. I know I'm about to get spanked by the Die Hard Eureka Fan's and that's ok as this is IMHO of course.

Examples of quality tents for less money.

http://pullman.craigslist.org/spo/2667300778.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/spo/2661835209.html

http://montana.craigslist.org/spo/2650513377.html

Remember, These are just examples of better quality tents. As I don't really know what your requirements are in a tent. Remember Craigslist is just a big garage sale and I encourage you to try and get the price down on items. EBay is an auction site and by design the price will go up and not down. Good luck with the search and please let us know what you end up getting.

8:55 p.m. on November 6, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

@apeman

Have you ever checked out http://geartrade.com

@unk

What is your reason for wanting to close up your tent so tightly? Also where/when do you want to want to use your tent? 

If you are looking for a "bomber" tent that you can really seal up I don't think you could go wrong with this one:

http://www.geartrade.com/item/203879 

Most 3-season tents are going to have some mesh and won't have zip up windows if they have a full fly because they just don't need it.

9:21 p.m. on November 6, 2011 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Unless you have a tent with plenty of mesh and good vents "sealing it up" usually means getting wet from condensation.

"Leaking" is usually beginner speak for condensation.

If not for bugs I'd sleep under a tarp 365 D/Y. Thank God for winter. That's when I'll be out most. Natures Air conditioning is free.

AR

11:12 p.m. on November 6, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

@apeman

Have you ever checked out http://geartrade.com

@unk

What is your reason for wanting to close up your tent so tightly? Also where/when do you want to want to use your tent? 

If you are looking for a "bomber" tent that you can really seal up I don't think you could go wrong with this one:

Most 3-season tents are going to have some mesh and won't have zip up windows if they have a full fly because they just don't need it.

Yes, yes I have. I haven’t ever found anything I was ready to pull the trigger on but so many times I have seen people's answers to their gear needs. And for the backpacker/hiker/mountaineer that occasionally  looks for gear this is one of the places I would recommend looking for used gear at reasonable prices and in fact you can even get some really good deals here.  Also, Geartrade is so much less stress than Ebay and even has a leg up on Craigslist as it‘s geared (get it) towards us.

Checked out the: Marmot Fortress.

That is a good find. In fact it is such a good find that I put out a challenge out there and I do not do this lightly. I challenge anyone to find a better tent for $225 for that price. That is a somkin~hot tent. If I had the need to by a backcountry 4 season, true 1 person and gear, or a smash it all in,  two person cram all it in, tent I would buy this tent.  Really some one should buy this tent before I do. But hey you can't even give a good pair of boot's away these days. I base my decision(s) upon paying attention to what and how the tent market is doing right now.  (IMHO)I believe that Marmot is winning the tent race in America with Mountain Hardwear pulling a struggling, but a respectical 2nd. I truly respect the Big Agnes thing but I just can’t wrap my head around the light weight UL thing, but you should pay attention to them. It seems good so far but I just need more proof. So, once again, with all that being said, Please someone buy that tent, that I might not have to. No rush though , I'll wait….watch….for a while........................but just a while……………….don't make me make another offer and buy another tent.

8:24 a.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

http://www.geartrade.com/item/205983

I'm now a true believer of tunnel tents. You should take a look at this one. As ot meets your needs.

8:53 a.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

the only reason im considering eureka is because of price and ability to keep blowing snow(in winter in NE)and blowing sand(in summer on cape)and blowing rain,rei has arete,north face has sputnik for approximately 300 and i know there are more brands/models considerably more money,the aspenlite is 250 and backcountry2 soiled 120,if anyone knows of any tents w/ability close up(less than 300)i would appreciate direction,i think ive used up all my resources to locate tent with closable vents,i haven't had good luck buying used equiptment.i'm trying to fill the gap between my other two tents,a superlite 2man 1season and a monstrous 25+lb. 4man that barely fits in a 7000cu.in.pack.but i still want the versatility to solo winter and 3season w/SO and 80lb. lab.,affordable 3.5 and 4 season are 2man,3man w/closable vents under 10lbs. would be optimum but i suspect way out of my price range as far as i can tell.it looks like i will have more than three tents to fill my needs.

9:24 a.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Check out LeftLaneSports.com

http://www.leftlanesports.com/Event.aspx?l=00050059000000000000&et=lls

You have to be a member to purchase but signing up is free. 

11:03 a.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

got it,3xte,8lbs.,21"pack length,5000 floor,2000 fly,w/vestibules-awesome!

11:11 a.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

unk, did ya get the Mountain Pass?
KT1-3-20-10-.jpg

new4.jpg
If so I will say ya got an awesome tent. Yes, its heavy but it is a monster of a 3 season tent. Imo its a 3.5 season tent.

If ya did get this tent seam seal around the webbing pockets where the ridge pole is inserted... Actually I just saturated the area around the pockets as well as the webbing itself.

1:28 p.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

yes,i wasnt sure if you were the same rick-pittsburgh,but i saw a review of 2xte too small and you got 3xte,by the way you give excellent reviews,no bias,appreciated mucho,would love to pick your brain on 3xte,like that scoop vent in fly,have you had trouble picking up snow with it into the wind and does it drip through mesh or is it offset?it looks like its directly above mesh.at 8lbs.it wont break me,just offset w/mountainhouse instead of homemade.plenty of room for S.O. and dog for three season and still bearable for solo in winter,if i had to vote on most versatile tent on earth this would be it,8lbs.you can have tea party solo at -20*F or keg party at 80*F W/S.O. and dog at 5000',what really surprises me is this supposedly inferior mass produced product w/5000 floor and 2000 fly,does ANYBODY have 2000 fly besides EUREKA!? THANKS i wouldn't have noticed w/out your review.

4:18 a.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

mikemorrow said:

I'm now a true believer of tunnel tents. You should take a look at this one. As ot meets your needs.

Wow,  that was truly a smokin deal on that tent.  It is a heavy 3 man tent tent but that is one of the reasons I'd spend some time in that tent in a storm.  I think for all that I have read about it in the past that it is under rated as a three season tent.

8:44 a.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

Apeman, I hate to disillusion you, but Eureka IS a division of a huge corporation, Johnson Worldwide. they have been for many years. JWA is primarily in outdoor brands, including canoes, compasses, sleeping bags, and more.

8:57 a.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

apeman said:

mikemorrow said:

Wow,  that was truly a smokin deal on that tent.  It is a heavy 3 man tent tent but that is one of the reasons I'd spend some time in that tent in a storm.  I think for all that I have read about it in the past that it is under rated as a three season tent.

Apeman did you pull the trigger on this one? Its sold. If so, I now have tent envy! LOL

5000mm HH with a 10,000mm floor. That thing will out do most roofs.

10:53 a.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
RETAILER
5 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

The BC 2 is a great tent. I have sold hundreds to people over the years. I would use it in most situations including a light snow. The fact that it does not have a full vestibule may be a deterent to some but here in the east it means better ventilation and therefore less condensation. Over the years i have lightened my load and find vestibules room for extra stuff I no longer carry. Considering the fact that Campmor has sold thousands of BC 2's with a less than 1% return rate I would consider it to be a grand success. Boy Scouts and Troop Leaders love it. Oh and you all are right it's not as good as a premium brand tent but sometimes they are just overkill.

cheers,

thetentman

2:10 p.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

apeman said:

mikemorrow said:

Apeman did you pull the trigger on this one? Its sold. If so, I now have tent envy! LOL

3:26 p.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

apeman said:

mikemorrow said:

Hey Mike, "Was" for sale is the opritive word. Yes, yes I bought that tent. Here we have a disscution of which 3 man tent to buy while every one is extolling virtues of the Eureka 3xte,8lbs.,21"pack length,5000 floor,2000fly, w/vestibules. Then up Pop, (Thanks Mike for Popping up this tent)the Marmot featuring,Tent floor Material:◦ 70d 100% Nylon, PU 10,000mm (Fully Taped), Tent canopy Material, :40d 100% Nylon Ripstop, Uncoated, B/R, :◦40d 100% Nylon Ripstop, Silicon / PU 5000mm (fully taped). Here we have a tent made by on of if not the finest American tent designers (IMHO) that is twice the tent material wise and made in the image of the european tunnel tents for 27% of MSRP. The MSRP of this tent on the Marmot site is $500. The cheapest I've found this tent on line is is $360, On ebay ther is a Widi 2 person tent for $224. This tent was 159 and free shipping. What the OP stated (and I'm not sure if he pulled the trigger onm the Eureka yet) was "..........if i had to vote on most versatile tent on earth this would be it,8lbs.you can have tea party solo at -20*F or keg party at 80*F W/S.O. and dog at 5000',........"

Seeing as though I put out the challange to find a better deal than the Marmot Fortress 2 person 4 season tent for $225 on gear trade that ocalacomputerguy found you Mike rose to the occasion. Look at the spects on that tent. Along with the fact that Marmot has one of the very finest warranties in the business. Dang, but in a day where yoiu can't even give a really good pair of boots away. what the heck. I still want the Fortress but this tent fits the the paramitiers of the tents I like. I felt it as if I would be in violation of my tent collecting ethics to pass up a tent that I've been looking at for years and have felt was far seperior tent to what is normally made in the USA and if fact is still in Marmot's current tent lineup. Again twice the tent as the tent being talked about, with superior venting, at 27% the price of a new one, with free shipping............. and no one paying attention because they have the need to buy a new Eureka. I'm ok with that.

BILL S said: "Apeman, I hate to disillusion you, but Eureka IS a division of a huge corporation, Johnson Worldwide. they have been for many years. JWA is primarily in outdoor brands, including canoes, compasses, sleeping bags, and more."

Thanks for the info. Befor I wrote the fact that I thought I Eureka was still self owned I did a bit of checking. I guess not enough. I thank yoiu for the information. Learning every day. Only to days ago I learnd that TNF had a Himilayn hotel on steroids that I did not knwo exsisted. I've been int TNF geodesic doom tents for 30 years now and some how I missed this one. It's kind like you find a that yoiur favorite band put out an album years ago and somehow missed it.

unk said: "........what really surprises me is this supposedly inferior mass produced product w/5000 floor and 2000 fly,does ANYBODY have 2000 fly besides EUREKA!? THANKS i wouldn't have noticed w/out your review."

As I stated above. Yes Eureka is mass marketed. 80-90% of there tents are mass marketed to the crowd with the Walmart mentality. I said "Regarding Eureka tents. If you are considering the lower end of the Eureka tent line, there is always a better choice in other tent brands, always. Regarding the Eureka tent line. In the past Eureka made some high quality tents in all their price ranges. In this day and age they are a mass market tent maker that does not appear to give much thought to product quality and detail at the lower end of the tent line. There are a few upper end tents that they make that seem to be ok but again if you going to spend the money on an upper end Eureka then there are so many better choices." This is IMHO of cource.

And in answer to your question "does ANYBODY have 2000 fly besides EUREKA!? Yes, Marmot makes the Widi 3 with a fly that is 40d 100% Nylon Ripstop, Silicon / PU 5000mm (fully taped). I have a numer of tents that have a higher rating than the 2000mm fly rating but most are way out of this price range and many are no longer in production any more.

Hey Mike, "Was" for sale is the opritive word. Yes, yes I bought that tent. Here we have a disscution of which 3 man tent to buy while every one is extolling virtues of the Eureka 3xte,8lbs.,21"pack length,5000 floor,2000fly, w/vestibules. Then up Pop, (Thanks Mike for Popping up this tent)the Marmot featuring,Tent floor Material:◦ 70d 100% Nylon, PU 10,000mm (Fully Taped), Tent canopy Material, :40d 100% Nylon Ripstop, Uncoated, B/R, :◦40d 100% Nylon Ripstop, Silicon / PU 5000mm (fully taped). Here we have a tent made by on of if not the finest American tent designers (IMHO) that is twice the tent material wise and made in the image of the european tunnel tents for 27% of MSRP. The MSRP of this tent on the Marmot site is $500. The cheapest I've found this tent on line is is $360, On ebay ther is a Widi 2 person tent for $224. This tent was 159 and free shipping. What the OP stated (and I'm not sure if he pulled the trigger onm the Eureka yet) was "..........if i had to vote on most versatile tent on earth this would be it,8lbs.you can have tea party solo at -20*F or keg party at 80*F W/S.O. and dog at 5000',........"

Seeing as though I put out the challange to find a better deal than the Marmot Fortress 2 person 4 season tent for $225 on gear trade that ocalacomputerguy found you Mike rose to the occasion. Look at the spects on that tent. Along with the fact that Marmot has one of the very finest warranties in the business. Dang, but in a day where yoiu can't even give a really good pair of boots away. what the heck. I still want the Fortress but this tent fits the the paramitiers of the tents I like. I felt it as if I would be in violation of my tent collecting ethics to pass up a tent that I've been looking at for years and have felt was far seperior tent to what is normally made in the USA and if fact is still in Marmot's current tent lineup. Again twice the tent as the tent being talked about, with superior venting, at 27% the price of a new one, with free shipping............. and no one paying attention because they have the need to buy a new Eureka. I'm ok with that.

BILL S said: "Apeman, I hate to disillusion you, but Eureka IS a division of a huge corporation, Johnson Worldwide. they have been for many years. JWA is primarily in outdoor brands, including canoes, compasses, sleeping bags, and more."

Thanks for the info. Befor I wrote the fact that I thought I Eureka was still self owned I did a bit of checking. I guess not enough. I thank yoiu for the information. Learning every day. Only to days ago I learnd that TNF had a Himilayn hotel on steroids that I did not knwo exsisted. I've been int TNF geodesic doom tents for 30 years now and some how I missed this one. It's kind like you find a that yoiur favorite band put out an album years ago and somehow missed it.

unk said: "........what really surprises me is this supposedly inferior mass produced product w/5000 floor and 2000 fly,does ANYBODY have 2000 fly besides EUREKA!? THANKS i wouldn't have noticed w/out your review."

As I stated above. Yes Eureka is mass marketed. 80-90% of there tents are mass marketed to the crowd with the Walmart mentality. I said "Regarding Eureka tents. If you are considering the lower end of the Eureka tent line, there is always a better choice in other tent brands, always. Regarding the Eureka tent line. In the past Eureka made some high quality tents in all their price ranges. In this day and age they are a mass market tent maker that does not appear to give much thought to product quality and detail at the lower end of the tent line. There are a few upper end tents that they make that seem to be ok but again if you going to spend the money on an upper end Eureka then there are so many better choices." This is IMHO of cource.

And in answer to your question "does ANYBODY have 2000 fly besides EUREKA!? Yes, Marmot makes the Widi 3 with a fly that is 40d 100% Nylon Ripstop, Silicon / PU 5000mm (fully taped). I have a numer of tents that have a higher rating than the 2000mm fly rating but most are way out of this price range and many are no longer in production any more.

Hey Mike, "Was" for sale is the operative word. Yes, yes I bought that tent. Here we have a dissection of which 3 man tent to buy and while every one is extolling virtues of the Eureka 3xte,8lbs.,21"pack length,5000 floor,2000fly, w/vestibules. Up Pop, (Thanks Mike for Popping up this tent)the Marmot Widi 3 person tent featuring, Tent floor Material:◦ 70d 100% Nylon, PU 10,000mm (Fully Taped), Tent canopy Material, :40d 100% Nylon Ripstop, Uncoated, B/R, :◦40d 100% Nylon Rip stop, Silicon / PU 5000mm (fully taped). Here we have a tent made by one of, if not the finest American tent designers (IMHO) that is twice the tent material wise and made in the image of the European tunnel tents for 27% of MSRP. The MSRP of this tent on the Marmot site is $500. The cheapest I've found this tent on line is $360, On ebay there is a Widi 2 person tent for $224. This tent was $159 and free shipping. What the OP stated (and I'm not sure if he pulled the trigger on the Eureka yet) was "..........if i had to vote on most versatile tent on earth this would be it,8lbs.you can have tea party solo at -20*F or keg party at 80*F W/S.O. and dog at 5000',........". There are literally hundreds of tent out there right now that are just a versatile as the Eureka 3xte. Of course each of us ahs our own opinions on what tents those would be.

Seeing as though I put out the challenge to find a better deal than the Marmot Fortress 2 person 4 season tent for $225 on gear trade that ocalacomputerguy found, and that is a screaming deal, you Mike rose to the occasion and found an even better deal…….on another Marmot no less. “Look” at the spec’s on that tent. Along with the fact that Marmot has one of the very finest warranties in the business. Dang, but in a day and age where you can't even give a really good pair of “used” boots away, what the heck. I still want the Marmot Fortress but this tent (the Widi 3p) fits the parameters of the tents I like most. I felt it as if I would be in violation of my tent collecting ethics and that to pass up a tent of such good quality I would be remiss in my duties to collect the finest 3-4 season bomb proof 3-4 man expedition/base camp/assult tents. Coupled with the fact that I've been looking at this tent for years and feel that this tent is a far superior tent to what is normally designed in the USA and if fact is still in Marmot's current tent lineup……I could not resist. Again twice the tent as the tent being talked about, with superior venting, at 27% the price of MSRP, with free shipping............. and no one paying attention because they have the need to buy a new Eureka. I'm ok with that.

Thanks for the info. Before I wrote the that I thought I Eureka was still self owned I did a bit of checking. I guess not enough. I thank you for the information. I’m Learning every day. Only two days ago I learned that TNF had a Himalayan hotel on steroids that I did not know existed. How could this be. I've been into TNF geodesic doom tents for 30 years now and some how I missed this one. It's kind like you find a that your favorite band put out an album years ago and somehow missed it. I will now seek out the TNF Polar Hotel

unk said: "........what really surprises me is this supposedly inferior mass produced product……….”

As I stated above. Yes Eureka is mass marketed. 80-90% of their tents are mass marketed to the crowd with the Wal-Mart mentality. I said "Regarding Eureka tents. If you are considering the lower end of the Eureka tent line, there is always a better choice in other tent brands, always. Regarding the Eureka tent line. In the past Eureka made some high quality tents in all their price ranges. In this day and age they are a mass market tent maker that does not appear to give much thought to product quality and detail at the lower end of the tent line. There are a few upper end tents that they make that seem to be ok but again if you going to spend the money on an upper end Eureka then there are so many better choices." This is IMHO of course. The tent you have decided on is on of their higher quality tents and seems to get good reviews. With Rick giving it high marks I’m sure it is a good tent as I trust his opinion. He like many others is a true outdoors man(person?, just does not sound the same)

And in answer to your question "does ANYBODY have 2000 fly besides EUREKA!? Yes, Marmot makes the Widi 3 with a fly that is 40d 100% Nylon Ripstop, Silicon / PU 5000mm (fully taped). I have a number of tents that have a higher rating than the 2000mm fly rating but most are way out of this price range and many are no longer in production any more.

7:02 p.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

200$,justified

7:28 p.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Brain you DOG! LOL You just got your first 3 season tent. Though I see it as a 3 1/2 season. You better bring that thing down next time. I will bring my Sierra West. Both very impresive tents! I think you will realy like the SW tent.

Though I must admit I was looking at it hard! But at 8#s a little heavy for me. But what a steal.

Just got home from the beachcomber. LOL got a buzz on and got a Little Sumpin' Wild/.

7:31 p.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

unk said:

200$,justified

Hey unk, I was not trying to talk you out of what you wanted to buy and I hope that you were not offend by what I said. In the beginning of the post you asked for our opinions. Flat out I do not like Eureka tents.  Just my opinion, nothing more.  It can be said that I am feverent  in my beliefs wants and desires regarding tent's. With that being said I most certainly do not know all there is to know about tents. Coupled with the fact that I prefer certain brands over other brands mean's, that like anyone else , I am biased. I'm happy that you got the tent that you were seeking and I hope that it provides you with many years of service. In fact if it does, it may change my mind regarding Eureka tents. My experience with Eureka as well as Sierra Designs tents as well as some others is that, in the past, I have seen many destruct under light to med weather conditions. As I said above I know that Eureka has made in the past, and still makes some high quality 4 season tents that meet muster. Again I'm glad you found what you wanted in regards to a tent and hope that you gained knowledge form all who gave there opinions regarding Eureka tents. And in fact I would say we both got something we wanted out of this Thread.   I Look forward to more of your posts.  Oh, yea good price on that tent.

7:39 p.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

IMHO Eureka tents are a small step up from Coleman. That being said I've had some very fine Coleman tents. I will still put some Colemans up to almost any tents on the market. I've posted many times on the Peak1 Cobra!

Glad you got the tent you wanted. :)  No tent fits all!

8:18 p.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

mikemorrow said:

Brain you DOG! LOL You just got your first 3 season tent. Though I see it as a 3 1/2 season. You better bring that thing down next time. I will bring my Sierra West. Both very impresive tents! I think you will realy like the SW tent.

Though I must admit I was looking at it hard! But at 8#s a little heavy for me. But what a steal.

Just got home from the beachcomber. LOL got a buzz on and got a Little Sumpin' Wild/.

I can do that.  I can't wait to see the Browning in it's full glory.  I want some picts.

8:31 p.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

We are working on the cost of the tent now. He doesnt want to do Ebay anymore ( after 8 years) I'm trying to get him here on trailspace. As I think he could do better. And have more fun doing it.

8:59 p.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

mikemorrow said:

We are working on the cost of the tent now. He doesnt want to do Ebay anymore ( after 8 years) I'm trying to get him here on trailspace. As I think he could do better. And have more fun doing it.

So did you get the Browning?  I understand not wanting to sell on EBay.  I did EBay selling for many years.  I like to buy there but not to sell any more.  They have made it a hasslel to sell and it's just not not any fun anymore.  The Widi will be fun.  It's my third tunnel tent.  I have 2 Stephenson/Warmlite tents, an old school 3R and a As New 2R that I'm really excited about.  I wanted to take the 2R to Thailand but was afraid of it not coming back with me.

10:02 a.m. on November 9, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Sending out the MO today.

I case anyone is still reading this, I just picked up a 1973 Browning Wind River. It has never been used. I'll post some pictures and observations of it when I get it.

10:35 a.m. on November 9, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Actually I was and I was wondering what you were talking about.  In case you didn't know, Browning camping gear is made by Alps Mountaineering now.

10:52 a.m. on November 9, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Really, I didnt know that. This is the only picture I can find of the tent. And were was this picture found? Trailspace!
014.jpg

2:08 p.m. on November 9, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I'll go on record and defend Eureka's tents.  No, they are not as good as many higher end brands.  But, they are better than anything you will find at Target, Walmart, ...  At a given price point Eureka tents are competitive, for example the lowly Eureka Timberline at $120 is hard to beat.  The tent sets up solidly and is stormproof.  The Timberline has zero sex appeal and is heavy, but it is only $120 new.

You may be able to find a better used tent at a good price, but you can find a used Timberline for much less as well, that becomes a circular argument.

I would avoid like the plague the models with fiberglass poles as I hate threading them plus they are heavy.

A Eureka Alpenlite is also a nice tent.  For canoe trips my Eureka Alpine Meadows (precursor to the Alpelite) is hard to beat; I have a 2 person, 4 person and a 6 person (car camping tent).

Eureka's large, family car camping tents are great - again avoid the ones with fiberglass poles.

3:41 p.m. on November 9, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Within this tread 3 tents were bought! I wonder how often that happens. A trailspace record?

I love to look at all tents, cheap and expencive. I just picked up a god awful Texsport tent. What a mess of loose stitching. LOL I'm rebuilding it now. Just got done waterproofing the seams. I have my own recipe for that. I've replaced the poles with aluminum ones. I'm going to add 2-3 vents. Then repair the stitching on the inner tent. Alot of work for a 8 year old tent. But I like the style of this tent. And for $10 its giving me plenty to do.

Alan please do defend Eureka tents. I didnt mean to bash them at all. Some are wonderful. I do admit though I have never had one. Might be becouse long long ago I remember them next to my Black Sheep canvas tent. The Eureka people would just laugh at me till a storm rolled in. And yes you got it. They were wet and I was dry. I saw those owners as snobish. Eureka is no longer the snob tent it once was.

4:29 p.m. on November 9, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Eureka has certainly lost its snob appeal.  Can't say I ever got wet in a Eureka, in fact I used to have a Eureka Wind River dome which survived a whale of a storm on the shore of Superior without letting in a drop.

6:52 p.m. on November 9, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Ok I've gotta say this about Walmart's Ozark trails tents.

For the 10 bucks I paid for one from a neighbor who had paid $5 at good will for it (he was willing to take $5 for it but I gave him $10) it kept my son and his friend dry for a rainy week at Yogi in the Smokies.  He said there was one small leak in the corner. 

Yeah its got fiberglass poles, some kind of weird material for the floor and smaller zippers than my Alps. But for relatively fair weather car camping you can't beat it.

7:17 p.m. on November 9, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

John I couldnt agree with you more. Though those tents wouldnt hold up to trail use they do well in the summer season (without storms). And they are great for the kids to have their own tent while camping. And if they trip and break a pole you are not out much cash.

9:51 p.m. on November 9, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

A lot depends to on where you camp.  Open areas subject to high winds - you need something better in a storm.  Relatively sheltered areas you can do fine with lesser tents.

12:14 a.m. on November 10, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

The other thing I like about Ozark is some of their designs. You see a lot of them at the cub scout camp outs.  Several have front porches and one of those is screened.

I wish that somebody would make a Eureka Tessel clone that was lighter. I like the way the fly can be propped up with a pair of trekking poles. 

9:16 a.m. on November 10, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Though I am not a big fan of my Eureka Pinnacle Pass, I do have to defend the tent as well worth what we paid for it. My lack of enthusiasm it not because it leaked or any real problem, per se. It just had a few drawbacks in the way it was designed. 

9:44 a.m. on November 10, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Iwill defend any tent that does what it was made to do.

1:24 p.m. on November 10, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

@Caleb- I initially was looking at the Pinnacle Pass but the lack of a full coverage fly was what made me end up going with the Mountain Pass. Granted it is a heavy tent but split up its not bad. 

@unk- thanks for the props on the reviews. If I remember correctly those(2 & 3xte) were a few of my earlier ones. I have gotten somewhat more picture happy with my more recent reviews. I like to get about as "in-depth" as possible although am sure I can make them longer and more drawn out if I try. :)

Any questions ya may have as far as the Mountain Pass tents go please by all means feel free to fire away. I put both models through alot.

I am more than willing to provide ya with any info ya may need.

Happy hiking- Rick

4:35 a.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

I've recently been looking for a Winter tent and have read that the Eureka Alpenlite has good reviews so it's on my list of possibilities but not on my shortlist.  I'm interested in that Marmot Fortress tent (looks *a lot* like the Marmot Sanctum) but I'm having a hard time finding much info (specs) on it.

I've also currently got a bid on an older REI mountain Geo on Ebay.  It's not on my shortlist either but if I get it for a low enough price it'll be a good value.

5:15 a.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Btw, here's a good deal if you like single-wall tents:

http://www.outdoorplay.com/MSR-Dragontail-2-Person-Camping-Tent

New MSR Dragontail for $288

9:32 p.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

The other thing I like about Ozark is some of their designs. You see a lot of them at the cub scout camp outs.  Several have front porches and one of those is screened.

I wish that somebody would make a Eureka Tessel clone that was lighter. I like the way the fly can be propped up with a pair of trekking poles. 

There is a clone of the tessel by big agnes called the gore pass. Suprised you didn't see it on steep and cheap a couple days ago, your normally big on SAC. Forget what the price was but it was in the %50 percent off range.

1:19 a.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

langcow said:

Btw, here's a good deal if you like single-wall tents:

http://www.outdoorplay.com/MSR-Dragontail-2-Person-Camping-Tent

New MSR Dragontail for $288

I must say, here is yet another good find. After investigating this tent a bit, an and I mean a bit, this tent is worthy of further investigation. It gets good reviews here on Trailspace.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/msr/dragontail/

Being a tube/tunnel tent I'm always leery, but hey I'm biased towards free standing tents. I must now investigate the venting , if any, in regards to this tent. I'm thinking that this might be a good value for the money. If you have more than two poles on a single wall tent I think the fact that it has outside poles rather than inside poles works better in regards to set up time and comfort. If any one hear has tried to erect a single wall tent with interior poles with more than three or more poles I would ask you to chime in. Setting a tent up form the inside sucks, even under the best of conditions.

3:51 a.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Question for you guys: I'm looking for 3+ season tent for Winter camping in the Pacific Northwest.  I don't necessarily need a heavy-duty mountaineering tent and would rather avoid the 9+ lb weight penalty.  The tents I'm considering are the REI Cirque, the REI Arete, and the Marmot Grid (wish it had a 2nd door).  I'm leaning towards the Marmot but I've noticed that all the vents are in the lower part of the tent, while there are upper (ceiling) vents in the Cirque, the Arete, and pretty much every true 4-season tent I've looked at.  Is that going to be a problem in the snow?  Do I need ceiling vents?  What I really want is a freestanding double-wall tent in which I can seal up the mesh panels for warmth.  My all-mesh Summer tent really doesn't cut it in cold temps, even with the rainfly!

Here's more info on the Marmot Grid: http://www.21-9.org/wordpress/?p=242 It's designed for horrendous wind and rain the UK and is listed at Campmor as a 3+ "all-season" tent.

4:00 a.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

More re: the Grid tent:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/marmot/grid-2p/

----

I'm also strongly considering this Marmot Nusku:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27970

9:27 a.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Dont know if this tent would work for you. But you can take a look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120811629677?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

10:26 a.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

langcow said:

Question for you guys: I'm looking for 3+ season tent for Winter camping in the Pacific Northwest.  I don't necessarily need a heavy-duty mountaineering tent and would rather avoid the 9+ lb weight penalty.  The tents I'm considering are the REI Cirque, the REI Arete, and the Marmot Grid (wish it had a 2nd door).  I'm leaning towards the Marmot but I've noticed that all the vents are in the lower part of the tent, while there are upper (ceiling) vents in the Cirque, the Arete, and pretty much every true 4-season tent I've looked at.  Is that going to be a problem in the snow?  Do I need ceiling vents?  What I really want is a freestanding double-wall tent in which I can seal up the mesh panels for warmth.  My all-mesh Summer tent really doesn't cut it in cold temps, even with the rainfly!

Here's more info on the Marmot Grid: http://www.21-9.org/wordpress/?p=242 It's designed for horrendous wind and rain the UK and is listed at Campmor as a 3+ "all-season" tent.

Regarding the Marmot Grid:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&biw=1093&bih=452&rlz=1R2ACGW_en&gs_upl=1819l12302l0l13813l19l17l0l2l0l5l2078l10435l0.1.3.1.0.3.1.4.0.1l14l0&q=Marmot+grid+tent+2P&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=14117100944670209308&sa=X&ei=QifBTvGeGIaIgweA1I29Bw&ved=0CGQQ8wIwAg#

$269 on line.  Might check Ebay as well.

So looking at the tent from the front you can see the slight overhang on the front of the tent and the top of the door. This I believe is designed to be your top vent. Just having venting in the bottom tent does not make any real sense and would only work in very windy conditions. It would be better to have just higher vents then just lower vents with the best ventilation occurring with both adequate sized adjustable top and bottom vents. This will be very important if you are to put two people in a two person tent. I have to wonder at the wisdom of making some of the vents with out closures as when it's really really windy you can end up with too much air flow and maybe some spin drift as well. It sucks when yoi can't keep the cold wind and snow out of a tent. The marmot gird seems to get good review all the way around. There were no reviews on the Trailspace site.

"The fly and floor are constructed with some of the industry’s highest hydrostatic and waterproof coating ratings found in a single-walled tent, so you can be certain this two-person tent can handle wicked weather. The unique three-pole configurations gives it its gothic-style look as well as sturdy support. 5lb 8oz, 30 sq ft. 1 vestibule with 7 sq ft. The canopy and fly are both made of 40 denier nylon ripstop, while the rainfly has an added waterproof, 5,000 mm silicone/polyurethane coating. The fully taped bathtub-style floor is made of 70 denier nylon with a 10,000 mm polyurethane coat to seal out moisture.'

Look at those specs. The specs on Trailspace have this tent listed as a 4 season tent. So this only thing I can find that I might not like with this tent is the lack of closers on some of the vents. This is of cource a judgment based on just reading about the tent and not seeing or using the tent.

Regarding the Marmot:

"The SPECS Capacity: 2 Person Maximum Weight: 7 lbs 8 oz / 3.40 kg Dimensions: 55.2in. x 86.62in. x 43.31in. / 140 x 220 x 110 cm Floor Area: 33.5 square feet / 3.1 square meter Vestibule Area: 8 square feet / 0.7 square meter Packed Size: 20 x 7in. / 51 x 18 cm Number of Pole Type: 3 / DAC NSL 9.6mm Materials: Fly: 40d 100% Nylon Ripstop Silicon/PU 5000mm, W/R, F/R, Floor: 70d 100% Nylon 10000mm, W/R, F/R, Canopy: 40d 100% Nylon Rip Stop F/R" .

The Marmot site says that it has adequate ventilation, what ever that means. I would check that out further. There are no reviews at Trailsapce.

Regarding: The Cirque ASL 2 Tent is a

3-4 season convertible tent. There are no reviews of this tent on Trail space and the discription leaves a lot to be desired.

Regarding: The Arete ASL 2 Tent is a 3-4 season convertible tent made by REI. There are no reviews of this tent on Trail space and the description leaves a lot to be desired.

Well that the first time I've seen that. No reviews of any of the tents you have picked on Trailspace.

From the small amount of looking I've done I feel that the Marmots are a much better 4 season tents than the REI‘s.  Are these tents going to be used for just you are two people?

If you have a REI around you I would get your pack together and got to REI since two of the tents your thinking about are REI tents and go spend some time in them. Hopefully you can find the Marmots there as well. I believe that the Marmots are much better tents but the trade off is that they also weigh more. That is the trade off for light weight gear. It is made of lighter materials. If you are looking at this tent for two people I'd highly recommend you also take the second person with you along with all your gear and see if you want to spend any time in any of the tents with two people and all of your gear. Imagine spending "days" in bad weather confined to this tent with another person and all your gear as sometimes it comes to that. Since there are not any reviews on Trailspace I would go with the tent that has the best ventilation, is set up in the best configuration to meet your needs. You may find reviews at other sites.  If this is for two people I think that you might find a 3person then is better suited for two people and gear. When your are at REI I would also look at all the other tents that might meet your needs. If your open to other suggestion many people here at the site would most likely chime in and in fact there are some in this thread. At first this can be confusing. Make a list of what you want in a tent and start removing the tents that do not fit your needs for what ever reason. It looks like you have a very good start and good luck with your search. Do not discount used or As New tents as that can save you much money whole still getting the tent yoi want. Do not forget about vintage tents but if your new to tents tread carefully and try not to buy a vintage tent that you haven't seen in person.  Good vintage tents will  have many reviews and are time tested and quite often a lot of us here at the site have used these tents and can tell you about them.  There are some nice tents on gear trader with the Marmot the  ocalacomputerguy found.  This tent on gear trade “The Marmot Fortress 2 person 4 season tent” http://www.geartrade.com/item/203879 and it appears to be a wonderful tent at a really really good price. If I hadn't just picked up a Mountain Hardwear Stronghold http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Stronghold%E2%84%A2/OU9449,default,pd.html I might have already pulled the trigger on this tent. I Might any way if it stays around to long at that price. I actually can't believe it's still there. That’s my nickels worth.

2:11 p.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

Apeman opined -

So looking at the tent from the front you can see the slight overhang on the front of the tent and the top of the door. This I believe is designed to be your top vent. Just having venting in the bottom tent does not make any real sense and would only work in very windy conditions. It would be better to have just higher vents then just lower vents with the best ventilation occurring with both adequate sized adjustable top and bottom vents.

Having vents only at the top of the tent provides minimal ventilation. Remember that warm air rises. You need both top and bottom venting to provide the necessary air flow. With a top vent only, you vent only the upper part of the tent.

In many cases, the lower entry can be provided by unzipping the bottom of the tent door. With some tents that have double zippers, you can open a vent at the bottom and at the top of the door, while leaving most of the door zipped shut.

In some tents (the Bibler/Black Diamond I-tent and Eldorado, for example), you have two top vents facing opposite directions, which allows having one open in the leeward direction, while the windward is closed (to prevent the entry of spindrift or blowing rain), with the bottom of the door unzipped to allow the fresh air to come in (even better if you have the 2-door version).

One of those things you only learn in practice after spending a week waiting out a storm.

2:27 p.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Bill S said:

Having vents only at the top of the tent provides minimal ventilation. Remember that warm air rises. You need both top and bottom venting to provide the necessary air flow. With a top vent only, you vent only the upper part of the tent.

Basically the chimney effect...

If you notice in the photo below the Mountain Pass utilizes what Eureka refers to as Hi-Lo venting. 

KT1-3-20-10-.jpg

It gives the user the ability to create/customize this chimney effect inside the shelter but still also provides protection from the elements for one as well as their gear. I personally feel that this is one of the best ventilation systems on the market but the only downside I have found is that the extra zippers, etc adds weight. 

To me weight isn't really a big deal if one splits the shelter between occupants or as you see in the photo the load is hauled in on a yak.

If you look in the next photo of my Copper Spur the bottoms of the tent fly flare out on the head/foot ends of the tent creating the same effect.

2011-05-02_17-19-34_607.jpg

On this model one can utilize the dual-track zipper for the fly to add even more ventilation without having to unzip the fly completely and leave ones gear etc exposed to the elements. 

I guess basically what I am getting at is in order for the top vents to work to their full potential on any tent they must also be combined with an adequate inlet where fresh air can circulate in so there is a bit of force to drive the warmer air out through the top where the roof vents are located. 

This will minimize condensation issues dramatically in warmer temps.  

4:06 a.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Hey thanks for all the info everybody.  

About the Grid tent, I think you're right that having strictly lower vents would only work in windy conditions since it was designed for the UK market where people would be encountering potentially furious wind (and rain) but not necessarily much snow or really cold conditions.  As much as I like the look of it and some of the features, I decided last night that it's probably not the tent for me.  Plus I'd rather like to have 2 doors, which also kind of rules out the REI Arete (which I'd considered getting in the 3-man version rather than the 2-man).  I'm primarily buying this tent just for me and my dog.  If the girlfriend starts wanting to go a lot then I'll get a bigger one when the time comes.  My dog though has short fur and needs to be inside the tent, rather than the vestibule, if it's cold out.  

I decided against the REI Cirque last night too since it's not clear what the tent is actually like.  Photos online don't seem to match the (single) photo on REI's site so I think they may have changed the design(?)

I started thinking about something like the Marmot Limelight or the Kelty Gunnison because I don't necessarily need a fully sealed tent with a rainfly - just something that's not *all mesh* (like my REI quarter dome)!  Both those tents are 1/2 mesh and 1/2 nylon tent bodies so they should be fairly warm.  Both have good reviews but the Limelight 2 only has 1 door.  I'd have to go up the Limelight 3 to get 2 doors.  I may grab one of these used someday just for fun because I really like the look of it.

I do have my eye on that Marmot Fortress but I haven't been able to find much info about it.  Looks a lot like the Marmot Sanctum though.  It should be strong and well made, but also heavy.  I'm willing to pay the weight penalty for the right deal but am hoping for something in the 6-8lb range.  If I need something more heavy-duty, mountaineering style, I can rent a Sierra Designs Stretch Dome locally for pretty cheap.

I'm kind of settling in on the Marmot Nusku though: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27970.  It's expensive but at $120 off it's within budget and seems like the collection of features I'm looking for... and seems to have good venting possibilities (both high and lower!), but again I'm having trouble finding much info about it.

Btw, Apeman, that MH Stronghold is *massive*! What's the diameter?  I'm thinking about getting one for a spare bedroom for my house     :)

4:13 a.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Heh!  And then after I posted that message above, I ended up grabbing a Big Agnes "Mad House" on Gear Trade for $166.  I think it had just been posted earlier in the day!

Sounds like a pretty sick tent:

http://www.moontrail.com/big-agnes-mad-house2.php

And it seems to have all the features I was looking for.  Really it seems quite a bit like the Nusku and REI Cirque, but cheaper since it's used, and there's actually some info online about it unlike the other two.

Now I've just got to decide about that Marmot Fortress.  Since I saved so much $ on this tent, I could actually still buy that one as well - you can never have too many tents, right?!

5:44 a.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Here's a brand new North Face Mountain 25 for $325...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/spo/2676934774.html

10:40 a.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

langcow said:

"Btw, Apeman, that MH Stronghold is *massive*! What's the diameter?  I'm thinking about getting one for a spare bedroom for my house     :)"

It's 11 ft across and 9 ft tall. I got it just in case I had to house the Siberian basketball team.

It's 89" (7 foot, 5 in) tall, 171 square feet, 14.75 ft across.  I don't need no stinkin vestibules now!  ;-}>

12:57 p.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Hey Apeman, you know that tent is made more for snow than rain. At 1500mm HH it is only functionally water proof

1:35 p.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Yea I know, The guy I got it from is a guide and has used it quite in the rain quite a bit, though he mostly used them in Alaska. I Don't know when I'll use it but now I have it.  I got it at 33% MSRP.  The tent it self has only been used once and it's got a spankin new fly as the first one got sent back due to a section of seem not being sewed.  The last one I saw go on Ebay for $1600 and had some damage to it, but I just don't think I could part with it.  I miss qoted the height.  It's actually 9.83 ft tall on the inside.  This will be my go to earthquake shelter.

5:13 p.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

I said:

"Yea I know, The guy I got it from is a guide and has used it quite in the rain quite a bit,............"

I should have said:

"Yea I know, The guy I got it from is a guide and has used them quite in the rain quite a bit,..............."

Being a guide in Alaska he has used and uses many tents and this is his favorite base camp tent. Since he buy these things in bulk he gets a big discount so he did not mind letting this on go as cheaply as he did. He just didn't want this one sitting around his garage all winter long. I agreed fully as I've been searching for this tent for many years at a good price in good condition. This is one of the "Base Camp Tent Holy Grails". One down and 5 ito go.

But this will not be my go to tent as it take two people to set the this baby with it's massive 15 ft. poles, the largest of which streach out 25-30 feet or so I'm told. I have not had the chance to put it together yet.

@ mikemorrow :

langcow up above just picked up a "Big Agnes "Mad House" on Gear Trade for $166" (good deal, and smart move both in getting way more for you money but also for not buying new and saving the planet that much more). I believe that makes four tents that were bought as an outcome of this discussion.

5:35 p.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Here's the Marmot Sanctum on Ebay (looks just like that Fortress tent - it'd be nice to find specs somewhere to find out just what the differences are):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marmot-Sanctum-Tent-your-4-season-camping-adventures-/290633112166?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ab155a66#ht_500wt_1198

5:49 p.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Here's the best I've got - they're both listed on this page:

http://www.slushwear.com/shelter_tents4s.html

Marmot Fortress Tent - 2 Person 4 Season

The Marmot Fortress Tent provides a safe and secure place to wait out nasty mountain weather in any season.

Alpine 2 Person/4 Season

- vs -

Marmot Sanctum Tent - 2-Person 4-Season

The Marmot Sanctum Tent is a true expedition shelter. This two-person tent is not only spacious, but it stands up to high winds and mounds of heavy, wet snow without even a whimper.

Alpine/Expedition 2 Person/4 Season

6:14 p.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

langcow said:

Here's the best I've got - they're both listed on this page:

http://www.slushwear.com/shelter_tents4s.html

Marmot Fortress Tent - 2 Person 4 Season

The Marmot Fortress Tent provides a safe and secure place to wait out nasty mountain weather in any season.

Alpine 2 Person/4 Season

- vs -

Marmot Sanctum Tent - 2-Person 4-Season

The Marmot Sanctum Tent is a true expedition shelter. This two-person tent is not only spacious, but it stands up to high winds and mounds of heavy, wet snow without even a whimper.

Alpine/Expedition 2 Person/4 Season

Sometimes trying to find specs and information of tents and gear in general can be maddening. A lot of the manufactures change equipment so fast that it is not around long enough to get the specs posted out there. My main problem is finding info on vintage gear. Try getting the specs on a 35+ year old tent such as the TNF Oval Intention or the Early Winters Omnipotent. Back in those days they have very little in the way of spec's and people did not do reviews as there really wasn't much need to. When I bought my TNF Oval Intention back in 1977 it was made by TNF nuff said. Back then when someone bought TFN it was the best, people knew it, and it performed as such.  There was at that time nothing that even came close to what that tent was and did (IMHO). Now a days there are unlimited choices for each and every piece of gear regarding pricing and quality of gear. That Marmot Fortress looks to me to be a screaming deal. I would guess that though it looks the same the Sanctum it most likely has more screen on the tent body making it less of a 4 season tent. This is just a guess however. I was thinking of calling Marmot just to find out more about the Fortress but if these are tents that you are thinking about then I would suggest that you give Marmot a call and see if you can get the specs and some pictures on both of these tents. Let me (us) know if you do that,   and what you find. Over the years I've found the folks at Marmot are second to non in regards to customer service and Warranty.

6:17 p.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I like the looks of the Copper Spur

6:34 p.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Ok a little off subject. Just picked up a pair of Salomon XA-pros trail running shoe (gore tex) for my winter travels. For.......drum roll..........$9

7:21 p.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Congrats Mike - that's an awesome deal!

If I find out more re: the Fortress vs the Sanctum, I'll be sure to post it here.  One of the two is surely the predecessor of the other, or something. 

7:40 p.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

mikemorrow said:

Ok a little off subject. Just picked up a pair of Salomon XA-pros trail running shoe (gore tex) for my winter travels. For.......drum roll..........$9

Dang dude, smokinn hot deal.  Those things are pricey.  Drum roll?............heck,  I'm now playing Wagners Ride of the Valkyries in honor of your keen ability to seek out great deals.  ;-}  Do you know that people actually go to REI and pay $125 + tax for those things. ;-}}>  really.............they do.......

11:27 p.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

mikemorrow said:

WHERE FROM  ???????????

8:23 a.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

It has been the year of the shoe out here at our second hand stores. I've been seeing Keen, Columbia, Vasgue, Teva, Merrell, among others. This was the first time a pair fit. And they have no wear on them.

1:46 p.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Wow, and I thought I got a deal on my Lowa Argon GTX trail runners/walkers at $85(retail $175.)

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBoot.cfm?StockNum=3105724511&Category=7&Type=m

Uh-oh... am I falling further and further into the whole UL thing?

9:06 p.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

If you answer yes to any of the following questions then yes you have.

Have you sawed the handle off your toothbrush?

Have you drilled holes in your titanium spork's handle to "save all that weight?"

Cut the edges off of your maps?

Blackened the bottom of your pot so it absorbs heat better therefore you need to carry less fuel?

Use leaves or snow instead of TP?

Cut off excess shoe lace?

Have you gotten a scale that measures in grams instead of ounces?

9:17 p.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

Have you drilled holes in your titanium spork's handle to "save all that weight?"

Blackened the bottom of your pot so it absorbs heat better therefore you need to carry less fuel?

yes, I use it to clean the element on my water filter. Who brushes their teeth on the trail?

- no but my spork is a LMF lexan model that broke in half on trail and I still use it.

- actually yes. It was just a bunch of jibberish about things I already new the other 15-20 times I was on the trail. Plus it made it much easier to laminate.

- no, but ya may very well be onto something

- actually yes but it wasn't by choice. Just be very selective on the leaves ya choose.

- not yet but now that ya mention it(looking for the wifes boots for a test run.)

- got that one covered too although I do not use it anymore. My OCD would never let me stop trying to get my pack weight dialed in exactly where I wanted it. Having a hundredth of a gram reading wasn't a big help with that one. 

9:53 p.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

I was talking to a old UL'er the other day lamenting how silly I thought it was that people would actually cut the handle of off his/her tooth brush when he shot me a wily toothless grin. I asked him why he was grinning and he replied “do you know how much each tooth weighs?”...........he then said “who needs a tooth brush anyway“.

How far are you willing to go to save weight? ;-}>

9:55 p.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

apeman said:

I was talking to a old UL'er the other day lamenting how silly I thought it was that people would actually cut the handle of off his/her tooth brush when he shot me a wily toothless grin. I asked him why he was grinning and he replied “do you know how much each tooth weighs?”...........he then said “who needs a tooth brush anyway“.

How far are you willing to go to save weight? ;-}>

I don't know if I could be considered an ULer. All the weight I drop gets made up in moon pies, twinkies, and hot sauce...

Gotta go work on those teeth now. More unnecessary weight to shave. 

10:56 p.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

As long as you eat the heavy stuff first Rice.

9:28 p.m. on November 18, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

langcow said:

Congrats Mike - that's an awesome deal!

If I find out more re: the Fortress vs the Sanctum, I'll be sure to post it here.  One of the two is surely the predecessor of the other, or something. 

Hummmmmmmm.............the chicken or the egg.  Still at the price it's at and even if it goes up in price its a Marmot 4 season tent.  I myself have never met a Marmot tent I would sleep with, I mean in.

Marmot Sanctum Tent currently at $115

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290633112166?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

12:20 a.m. on November 19, 2011 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

If you answer yes to any of the following questions then yes you have [succumbed to the UL craze]

No, but I switched to lithium batteries in my electric toothbrush, cause they are lighter.

No, because the plastic spoons from Mickey D's are lighter

Yes, cause as noted above, it's easier to laminate them. That's if I carry maps at all.

Fuel? What's that? You mean Gu packets? Why would I blacken a Gu packet?

Always. I did make the mistake of using some 3-leaved groups once.

Shoe lace? What's that? In fact, what's a "shoe"?

My scale reads either grams or ounces, switchable. Very handy for rebalancing the bags when the airlines tell me that one bag is over the 50 pound limit.

12:27 a.m. on November 19, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

@OGBO- thats funny. I needed a good laugh. I swear November is trying to take me out.

11:15 a.m. on November 19, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Bill_S

If you stayed out of McD's you could drop a couple of pounds and take that ti spork along.

Or you could just fatten up there and not take any food, spoons, pots, stoves etc. (unless you need to melt snow. Then again just fill your camelbak up with snow and sleep with it). 

Why are you taking multiple packets of GU?  Squeeze it all into a ziplock and cut a hole in the corner.

12:45 a.m. on November 22, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

That Marmot Sanctum tent ended up going for $325 (+ $20 shipping)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290633112166?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The footprint was separate and went for $20, so $365 total.

3:31 p.m. on November 22, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

And yet the Marmot Fortress 2 person 4 season tent is still avaliable for $225 + $10 shipping at gear trade.

5:44 a.m. on November 29, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

OK here's a sleeping bag question for you guys - 

I've got a Mountain Hardwear phantom 32 bag (1.5lbs) and a Kelty Cosmic Down 0 degree bag (3lbs and 14oz), and I'm looking for something in between for backpacking when it's going to get into the 20s and teens at night, and that will be lighter than my 0 degree bag.

I've got my eye on a (new) Kelty Cosmic Down 20 degree bag for $80 (2.5 lbs), or I'm thinking about getting this RAB quantum bag (http://www.geartrade.com/item/212542) and sticking it inside my Phantom on trips that are too cold for the Phantom alone, or getting this synthetic Lafuma with the broken zipper (http://www.geartrade.com/item/207478) and using it as a blanket over the Phantom.  It's hard to go wrong for $30...

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Thanks for your guidance - 

2:09 p.m. on November 29, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

langcow said:

OK here's a sleeping bag question for you guys - 

I've got a Mountain Hardwear phantom 32 bag (1.5lbs) and a Kelty Cosmic Down 0 degree bag (3lbs and 14oz), and I'm looking for something in between for backpacking when it's going to get into the 20s and teens at night, and that will be lighter than my 0 degree bag.

I've got my eye on a (new) Kelty Cosmic Down 20 degree bag for $80 (2.5 lbs), or I'm thinking about getting this RAB quantum bag (http://www.geartrade.com/item/212542) and sticking it inside my Phantom on trips that are too cold for the Phantom alone, or getting this synthetic Lafuma with the broken zipper (http://www.geartrade.com/item/207478) and using it as a blanket over the Phantom.  It's hard to go wrong for $30...

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Thanks for your guidance - 

I would start a whole new thread under Gear Selection as this is a sleeping bag question in the beginners fourm and it will get lost at the end of a long thread abuot tent's.   It's likely this tent Thread should have also been posted under the Gear Selection as well, but that matter not at this point.  You will recive much more attention to your question as a new thread in the Gear Selection Fourm.

3:31 p.m. on November 29, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Cool - thanks Apeman - will do!

7:36 p.m. on November 29, 2011 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

You may be able to get a 22deg bag by simply and easily adding a bag liner to your 32deg bag.

Silk, nylon or mirco fleece liners can easily extend comfort range or provide warm weather options. I use a surplus poncho liner for this application. Its light,  poly and in warm weather all you may need.

Think of it like layering your clothing.

AR

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply