About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

modern snowshoes

1:22 p.m. on November 29, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi!

Any suggestions on what modern snowshoes will work well when wearing mukluks for hiking in mn.?Thanks for any info

2:35 p.m. on November 29, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,234 reviewer rep
5,182 forum posts

You are probably asking this because mukluks are pretty large for most snowshoe bindings, as are my Scarpa Olympus Mons climbing boots. As for the basic "working well", all MSR's snowshoe categories work well, depending on your activities. Atlas is also good, again, depending on matching their category to your activity. Based on your specifying mukluks, I suspect that the trekking style is what you are looking for, not the expedition, climbing, or racing style. On the other hand, you have some fun and challenging snowshoe races in MN.

The problem is fitting the binding to your mukluks. The only way to be sure is to go to a good outfitter and try them on. MSR does offer longer straps, though a lot of shops don't keep them in stock. You can call Cascade Designs (MSR's parent company) to get them. Some of the Atlas models have fairly long straps with hooks to tuck the extra away when using smaller boots.

Again, the only way to be sure is to take your boots to the shop and actually try the snowshoes. This is one place where ordering on-line is definitely NOT the way to go.

2:57 p.m. on November 29, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

I second what Bill said. I would say just bring the mucklucks in and put them on, or wear them in, and try the snow shoes out that way.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply