MSR fuel

10:07 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Dumb question:  where do I buy MSR Fuel for my bottles?

10:11 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey Anita, welcome to Trailspace.

Click on the link below and it will direct you to retailers that carry them.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/msr/fuel-bottle/ 

Click the tab that says "Compare all 26 options." That will give you a listing of the retailers that carry them with their current prices.

I hope this helps. 

Happy hiking.

11:08 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Hi Anita I figure your stove use's white gas. Walmart carrie's coleman whitegas and that will work. If there butane cannisters than a mail order. or any local outfitter.

11:14 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

So white gas can be used in my MSR stove?

11:16 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

which model or name of your stove is it anita?

11:17 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Hi Rick.

I have the bottles and the stove but was wondering where to get the fuel.  Can white gas be used?

Thanks

Anita

11:20 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Online retailers can't ship fuel(iso canisters, etc.) Ya have to buy those cash and carry at your local REI or other outfitter.

At least the last time I checked they couldn't be shipped unless something changed which I doubt but then again I could be wrong...

11:22 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Anita if it's a MSR stove and came with those bottles. You can burn whitegas in it. I just wanted to see what model you had and double check for you. Hope that helps you. Welcome to trailspace!

11:29 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Great!  thanks Rick and Denis.  This info will get me started!

Anita

11:39 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Your welcome Anita. If you have any questions just ask like you  did you only have to ask..

11:43 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Anita, do you have the pump for the stove to pressurize the bottle?

11:48 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts

Anita said:

Hi Rick.

I have the bottles and the stove but was wondering where to get the fuel.  Can white gas be used?

Thanks

Anita

Just to be sure we are all on the same page - Yes Anita, if you have an MSR stove with the MSR bottles in the link that Rick gave early on, you can use white gas. It goes under the name of Coleman Fuel. Almost every store that sells outdoor gear sells it in 1 quart and 1 gallon containers - WalMart, REI, Big 5, Dick's, etc etc. "Coleman fuel" has become a kind of generic name, like "Kleenex". Ask for Coleman fuel in the store and they will know what you mean. The generic brands work pretty much as well as genuine Coleman fuel (don't tell Coleman I said that!)

The caution is to be sure you do indeed have an MSR stove that is a liquid fuel stove. Some of the models are the MSR Whisperlite (3 versions currently), XGK (several versions over the years), Simmerlite, plus a pump (screws into the fuel bottle). Here is a photo of some of these:

MSRstoves.jpg
If you have one of these, you can use white gas. If you have one of the 3 upper ones, you could also use kerosene, though white gas/Coleman fuel is easier to find.

Just a word of caution, though. Since you had to ask about the fuel, I suspect you haven't lit one of these stoves before. If so, please get someone who is experienced with these stoves to teach you how to properly light one. They require "priming", which means getting a small (TINY!) amount of fuel into the burner after you pump the bottle up to pressure. Close the valve so no more fuel flows. Then light the match and let the priming fuel burn almost out before opening the valve. If you aren't careful and following the correct procedure, you can get a huge flareup of flame. Be sure you are at least 20 feet from anything flammable the first few times you try lighting the stove. And really do get someone with experience to guide you through the stove lighting until you really understand the process. It is very easy, but if you do not do it right, the consequences can be very bad. Learn the right way, and the stove will be your best friend in the woods and hills.

12:28 a.m. on December 2, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Uggghhhh, I think I have been sitting behind the monitor too long. Fuel for the bottles not bottles for the fuel. Duh.

5:31 a.m. on December 2, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Great, thank you for all of the advice.  It is the bottom right stove and I will be very careful in lighting it!

10:16 a.m. on December 2, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts

That is the Simmerlite. Excellent stove! My favorite for "everyday" use. The two on the left are different generations of XGK, the "Sherman tank" of expeditions, and the upper left is the old standby Whisperlite.

3:49 p.m. on December 2, 2011 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

I have the Simmerlite too, and agree with Bill S. Excellent stove! And, please be sure to practice outdoors on a calm day out in the back yard before taking it out on a camping or hiking trip. That priming thing can be done quite safely, but may cause a bit of a surprise or even injury if done carelessly. Keep face and hair away from being over the burner when you put the match to it. Once you get the hang of it, the little "Whoomp" is kind of fun.

11:41 p.m. on December 2, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Ok, great.thanks!

12:24 a.m. on December 3, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

One more thing, if you did not buy this stove new, and you have any doubts about the seals on the stove or pump, have it serviced and the seals replaced.  MSR sells kits with the parts you need.

If you fire it up and have a leak, you may wind up setting the pump on fire. I know this because I've done it.  If you are just learning to use it, be sure to practice with it outdoors and have a towel or something handy to smother it. A small fire extinguisher is not a bad idea either.  I'm not trying to scare you, but these things can be dangerous if something goes wrong.

An MSR stove in good working order is very reliable. I've got an old XGK, which is the round one on the left in Bill's photo. That's the one I set on fire because I didn't have the pump fastened correctly and didn't notice it until it got out of control. I quickly put it out and the only damage was slight cosmetics to the pump, which in my case is the old yellow plastic one.

5:22 p.m. on December 3, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,497 forum posts

Welcome Anita! Be careful to keep your sleeves away from the heat. I learned the hard way and had to repair my down sweater. Glad! to see another woman here. There are not many of us....the up side is, these guys and the other ladies have such good knowledge and experience they are willing to share!

5:39 p.m. on December 3, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

BTW, don't let anyone tell you that 'white gas" is unleaded auto fuel, it is not. Sometimes you hear that, but white gas is a completely different product.

If you haven't seen it yet-here is MSR's website about your stove with videos on how to use and fix it-

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/simple-cooking/simmerlite/product

12:12 a.m. on December 4, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Thank you for the great info!

12:15 a.m. on December 4, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Thanks, giftogab!  I definitely got a lot of help with my question!

Wow!  All of my questions were answer even before I could figure out what questions I needed to ask!  Such good safety advice that I truly needed!

12:17 a.m. on December 4, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

wow, Tom, thanks!  this was one of my questions, as I do have a coleman dual gas propane stove which takes white gas or unleaded gasoline. 

2:39 p.m. on December 4, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Anita, some stoves made by MSR and others are "multi-fuel" stoves. The MSR XGK (the older round one in Bill's photo and the newer model XGK that looks like a little spaceship) for example, will burn almost anything. Some newer stoves will burn both liquid fuels or compressed gas in a small pressurized canister.

Auto gas, even unleaded, has additives you really don't want to be breathing, so a cleaner fuel like white gas/Coleman is preferable. People will often buy a multi-fuel stove for trips overseas where you are not sure what kind of fuel is available.

4:38 p.m. on December 4, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Shees!  You guys (and ladies) are great!  Wow!  Thank you!

3:33 p.m. on December 6, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

REI

3:35 p.m. on December 6, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts
3:36 p.m. on December 6, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Also use White Gas / Camp Stove Fuel

August 22, 2014