Join me in the climb people!!!!!

1:08 a.m. on December 31, 2011 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

i work in a place that offers GREAT vacation benefits for someone my age atleast. i am taking at total of 20 days off during the 2011 year. 10 during the spring in early march and late feb. the second time in the middle of november. i was planning on heading out to Tennesse and hitting up Chatnugga and do some climbing during the march break, but im am stumpped on the second half of my time off. i plan on doing something nice and outdoors. Do you guys know any place that is nice to go climbing in that would involve a days drive away from arkansas? climbing is the main objective but i am open to do other things along the as well. i have most or all gear to backpack and all the gear to boulder, and sport climb. all suggestions are welcome.

11:39 a.m. on December 31, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I suggest Red Rock Canyon, outside Las Vegas.....but you would have to drive fast.

2:07 p.m. on December 31, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,299 forum posts

You have a lot of climbing in NW Arkansas, where you said in an earlier post you lived. Colorado is within a day's drive of NW Arkansas (about 15 hours to Boulder), as is New Mexico (about 14-15 hours to the Rio Grande Gorge). Some of the world's finest rock climbing. There is also great climbing in the Hill Country in Texas. Heading east, as you mention, there is great climbing within a day of you in northern Alabama, eastern Tennessee, Georgia, and North Carolina.

A good book for you to get is Rock 'N' Road from Falcon Press. It has a sampling from just about everywhere in North America.

3:27 p.m. on December 31, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,065 forum posts

AS Bill pointed out you have alot of options by car. I've driven through AK on my way to central Texas the hill country. Quite abit of nice climbing in and around Austin. I would take any advice BIll gives me on climbing ands where as well as recommended books. You have nothing to lose .FWIW

8:33 p.m. on January 1, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,299 forum posts

Denis,

I think you meant AR (Arkansas) rather than AK (Alaska) - unless you were on a realllyyy looonnnnggg road trip. ;)

8:35 p.m. on January 1, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Heck! maybe he CAN make it to Red Rock then...:) Just joshin' ya Denis!

9:26 p.m. on January 1, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Haha, I don't think I've seen that spelling of Chattanooga before :) 

There is an endless supply of awesome rock around here, you'll have a great time! What are your planned spots to hit in the area? Rock Town, Buzzards, etc?

11:53 a.m. on January 2, 2012 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,065 forum posts

Bill

Thanks for catching that. It was a long road trip.But not that long a trip.

10:38 p.m. on January 2, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

HAhahah all great options and i did not know hnow to spell chattanooga. i dont know what places i plan on hitting up, but i still plan on planning it out. i have heard nice things about texas. i am also aware of the options in arkansas but i want to actually get out of state. i do plan on reading up on this thanks, dont want to be uprepared. is there some places that have any streams or anything of the like such as a lake or something. because one of my friends is a huge fisherman and is also into climbing and it would be nice to combine the both when we go.

9:39 a.m. on January 3, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

The Chattanooga area has countless fishing options: rivers, reservoir lakes, ponds, Cumberland brooks, cold mountain streams for trout, etc.

3:34 p.m. on January 3, 2012 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
49 forum posts

I live in louisville and spend alot of time in the red river gorge where there is alot of climbing.  I dont do much of it so i cant compare it relative to other locations

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply