introduction of sorts

9:22 p.m. on February 25, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

first thanks for the forum and the chance to be here. i am a 51 year old native floridian and have lived in the apalachicola nf my entire life other than one tour in the MC. i have backpacked or hiked with my brother my whole life but didnt realize it until recently, we just thought of it as being forced to walk because either we were to young to drive or there was no roads where we wanted to go. up until recent history i have been extremely active outdoors exploring on foot and by canoe and running & biking the forest service road i live on but when my first grandson came along my lifes purpose instantly became about being with him, no more scuba, no more motor cycling, no more hunting. he and my younger grandson are with me on average three days a week and are able to do some short slow hikes and my wife and i are looking forward to some over nighters. i know nothing about hiking or camping gear except what i have learned over the years from sears, monkey wards and china mart and with the exception of my stoves which i built, packs and sleeping pads that is where 99.9% of my gear has come from so moving into dual mode with my wife is gonna call for some re-grouping, not because she would insist on it but because i want her to enjoy it as much as possible so she will share the enjoyment of it with me for as many months per year as possible, and belive me after six years of life revolving around grandchildren we are in serious need of some quality time together.  Oh, and i can be long winded sometime but i will try to control that here.

thanks to you all, i have really enjoyed what i have read here.

smithcreek (aka earl )

9:29 p.m. on February 25, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,505 forum posts

Welcome! This is a great place! I would suggest looking over some of the gear reviews to get your feet under you for starters. Lots of great people will be checking in I am sure!

10:14 p.m. on February 25, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Welcome smithcreek!

I think you will find a wealth of information, and new friends here.

Anything we can do to help...just ask.

Mike G.

10:39 p.m. on February 25, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

thanks fellas, it is appreciated. computer guy made a suggestion for a tent he really likes so i will be checking that out because we live in the same neck of the woods weather wise. i have been all over cyber space looking at stuff and it gets confusing so a suggestion from a end user carrys alot of weight. i will surely be asking more questions as the summer heat comes down on us, i have some ideas on where i want to escape to but have no clue how to start the planning but thats another thread.

thanks again.

earl.

11:27 p.m. on February 25, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,505 forum posts

psssst: Earl...ima girl......can't you see my face?

12:02 a.m. on February 26, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

psssst: Earl...ima girl......can't you see my face?

Gab, being that i try to be a southern gentleman at all times had i known you were a lady i would have responded to you first dont ya know. how many of us have you got like that?lol

earl

12:13 a.m. on February 26, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,505 forum posts

HA! A few.....but there are not many of us females here. Me and Alicia and secondgear, donna.....a few more that I cannot bring to mind (sorry girls) but we are the exception to the rule, for sure.

9:38 a.m. on February 26, 2012 (EST)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

Welcome to trailspace. You already are investing your time & money wisely just by spending time here. You don't need to spend a lot of money on new and shiney stuff that will end on a shelf collecting dust. Read all the different threads ( even the old ones) there is a great deal of information out there that can get you great buys on quality equipment you will use.

You already are going at a great speed: slow. Take your time with kids and slowly get into it. If you want to get kids to hate some thing, then make it long and difficult. They may never do it again. Same thing with wives. Short fun hikes. then some car camp outs with some weekend over nights till you get a good feel for what you're doing.

There are folks at this site who can do amazing things on a really low budget. A great deal of gear can be diy. Just keep on reading and asking questions. These folks are really great with people just getting into the out door experience.

10:06 a.m. on February 26, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Careful Earl the Tangerine Ninja is also a prosecutor from Vegas.  Works on death penalty cases.  ;)

11:10 a.m. on February 26, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Earl, welcome to the wonderful world of Trailspace. Great to have ya around. As Mike said if ya have any questions do not hesitate to ask.

Ocala, that is the Sunkist Ninja.

High kick.

I finally got snow !!! Back to my tent. :)

11:56 a.m. on February 26, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

Gab i am a little surprised by that, i really expected a much more even mix of male/female members. i know we cant really generalize or read minds but from women you know what keeps them out of outdoor sports? way to go on the carrer track, i know it had to take much hard work to get there. sunkist ninja... i like it.

Guyz, thanks for the welcome and diy gear is something we are already looking at, sleeping bags for florida weather first cause even a +50* bag is to much here for 10 months a year. we will surely start slow. i went from running 5 miles a day, then biking the same path, doing sit ups 3 or 4 times a day up to 600 per day + weight machine to a dead stop pretty much over night so i have put on 10 or 15 pounds and being a short guy it shows as if it is 20 especialy when you already have knee issues.

OCG, my wife has taught me well, i give all the ladys a wide berth.

thanks Rick, i am glad you got some snow, sounds like you may be having a warm winter like we are. i doubt if we had 6 cold days here this winter. it cools off after showers move through for about 24 hours and right back in the high 60's-low 70's and will approach 80 before the next round of showers. its nice for keepin the kids outside but like Mike mentioned in another post we are gonna have a bumper crop of yellow flies and skeeters this year.

earl.

1:18 p.m. on February 26, 2012 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

welcome

2:28 p.m. on February 26, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I wouldn't worry to much about a ninja doing a high kick...ain't in their training. The Japanese and Okinawan martial artists aren't physically built to kick above the waist...they go after your base of support. Specifically the knees.

All that flashy stuff is usually done by the Korean martial artists...the same people who get their black belts with only two years of training and then they tie their belts to the rear bumper of their car and drag it around for a month to make it look like it has been used for a while.

Ed G

Go Ju Ryu

10:18 a.m. on February 27, 2012 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
106 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace Earl! Always nice to hear from another fellow Floridian, we are starting to build a nice army of hikers in here! =)

10:23 a.m. on February 27, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

Thanks Maxx, what region do you live in?

earl.

10:32 a.m. on February 27, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,505 forum posts

Smith:

I think the disparity in numbers here is not reflective of the true outdoor mix of men and woman. I see many many women on the trail. Maybe they just aren't into gear as much. But I came here looking for help with my trek prep and stayed!  Thanks, by the way!

10:48 a.m. on February 27, 2012 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
106 forum posts

Central Florida! I camp on Mickey Mouse's backyard 

12:06 p.m. on February 27, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

well please tell Mickey to knock it off with the nightly fireworks will ya?

Every night at 9:00, boom boom, boom

Actually, it's pretty cool. You can see the fireworks display from my back yard - really good if you get on my roof.

12:17 p.m. on February 27, 2012 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
106 forum posts

Hey Ed, I guess we are neighbors, I can can see the fireworks from my house as well, every day right out my window =P.  New years I go on top of the roof to watch it with a glass of champagne!

12:50 p.m. on February 27, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Well heck, you sound like my kind of guy!

I'm frequently on the roof with a few beers. Just love the view of all the lakes and farms from up there. Quite relaxing place to be.

I live in Clermont, my subdivision is located on Lake Louisa (and off of Oswalt (off of Lakeshore)).

1:35 p.m. on February 27, 2012 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
106 forum posts

Wow, I go to Lake Louisa all the time! I love hiking and biking the trails there then relaxing by the shore of the lake, I live 30 mins away from there on a street called Reams Road, if you bring up Google maps you will see its literally Disney's backyard! Around here is very weird, you can watch around and see how the rich people and big companies are changing the landscape literally every year, I should take pictures from my roof and make a montage or something. One day there is a field with deer, hogs running around, little pond on the side, the next its all taken down, then a mansion pops up, and Tiger woods is beating his wife and driving drunk in front of my house.

3:39 p.m. on February 27, 2012 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

welcome smithcreek! i know i've learned more about hiking and backpacking in my time here than anywhere else. 

8:22 p.m. on February 27, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

thanks Callahan, ED.G, and JP. i can belive you JP, ive been reading here since friday afternoon and have not even scratched the surface. very enjoyable reading and i can get a first person picture of adventures that i would other wise never know of.

thanks again for the welcome and i hope to be able to contribute very soon.

earl.

5:35 a.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Maxx, glad you like the trails at Lake Louisa.

I'm the guy who created them.

Park manager (Chuck McIntyre) told me "we want trails from here to there,", so with GPS and machette in hand, off I went. 

Took me about 5 weekends to lay them all out and then the brush hogs followed my markers.

I laid out the trails with the intent "being made by a runner for runners".

Smithcreek - I'm taking 2 newbie campers to Cumberland Island National Seashore (St Marys, Ga) for two nights next week.

If you (meaning just you - no kids or wives) can get a reservation, your welcome to tag along for the grand tour of the island on Friday. Probably a 15 mile hike from our "base camp". Just humping day packs on the tour.

Leaving St. Mary's on 9:00 am ferry March 8.

2:21 p.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Ed G said:

I wouldn't worry to much about a ninja doing a high kick...ain't in their training. The Japanese and Okinawan martial artists aren't physically built to kick above the waist...they go after your base of support. Specifically the knees.

All that flashy stuff is usually done by the Korean martial artists...the same people who get their black belts with only two years of training and then they tie their belts to the rear bumper of their car and drag it around for a month to make it look like it has been used for a while.

Ed G

Go Ju Ryu

Shoinru and Ishinru, here.  Also, CQD.

Am now a Yogi, however.   Martial-arts stretching and warm-ups incorporated into my instruction.

pax vobiscum

~ r2 ~

1:32 p.m. on February 29, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

Ed i really appreciate the kind offer but there is just no way i could throw it together. i was out for about 30 days between dec- and jan- with a sick wife and the arrival of my granddaughter and while i still have about 280 hours left on the books i just can't bring myself to ask for the time off after being absent for so many days recently. i do very much appreciate your kindness.

earl.

5:09 a.m. on March 1, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Hey SC,  I understand.  

and since I made the invite on the WWW, Cumberland Island received 2,569,782 phone calls from people wanting a reservation.

They only allow 300 poeple on the island at one time - including the day visitors

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply