kids packs

9:01 p.m. on March 4, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Hello all. New to the site here...... I have been an outdoor enthusiast for several years nothing serious. But my son is really showing an interest in car camping/backpacking/hiking. He really wants a pack for him self. I need some recemondations for a pack that wont break the bank but will hold up for at least a year or two.   Thanks for your time and open to all suggestions.

10:09 p.m. on March 4, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Depending on how old he is, something like a smaller Kelty would probably work. There are some relatively inexpensive packs sold by Campmor and REI, for example. One brand you might look at is Outdoor Products. I bought a pack from them for $40 retail. Normally, I wouldn't look at a pack that cheap, but mine is remarkably well made. It has limited harness adjustments, but other than that, good value for the money. A friend of mine took it to India for 3 weeks and it came back no worse for the wear. I have used it as an occasional day pack for snowshoeing, but that means I was packing winter gear. It is easily big enough for three season weekends or longer. I found mine at Sport Chalet, a local chain here in California.

10:43 p.m. on March 4, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
61 forum posts

You are lucky! I wish my kids would share my enthusiasm for outdoor overnight adventures. Unless I bribe them with marshmallows and a campfire there's no chance to get them out. If you have an REI nearby they could at least tell you what size to look for. I wish it were easier to recommend something. Please let us know how it works out!

12:46 a.m. on March 5, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

It would be a big help to know what his size is. 

If he's somewhere near my younger son. The only ones I know of are internal frames from Deuter.  I got a Lil' Climber from steepandcheap.com a couple of years ago when my son joined the cub scouts for a Christmas present.  He loves it.  It has a sleeve that will take a 2 liter Camelbak and has enough room for his sleeping bag (Mountain Hardwear Mountain Goat 20F, excellent bag) and a change of clothes)

08-On-the-trail-to-Stan-Murray-Shelter.j
That's it from the back he's 8 in this picture.

I don't think they make it anymore but you can probably get it on ebay.  Deuter's replacement is the Fox 30  which I think is slightly larger than the Lil' Climber. 

If your son is larger then the Fox 40 would be my choice for internal frame. 

For external frame the Alps Mountaineering Red Rock or the Kelty Jr. Tioga 34 are the same capacity. The Kelty will adjust a little smaller in the torso than the Fox 30 but is about a pound heavier.  

Personally I like the internal framed packs for kids because they are usually lighter.  They aren't going to be carrying that much equipment and being lighter will give them a better experience. 

Also check out this thread starting here. There's some really good advice there.

7:40 a.m. on March 5, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Thanks for the tips. My son is seven yrs old. About 70 lbs long torso and 4'2".

1:03 p.m. on March 5, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,079 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace!

FYI, you can browse all kid packs and reviews here:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/backpacks/kids/

I just bought my almost-8-year old a Deuter 30, already mentioned above. He has only used it for hauling his ski stuff to his weekly ski program so far, but we bought it for him to use backpacking this spring and summer. He's pretty excited for it for backpacking.

Osprey is another brand with some kid packs that we considered: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/osprey/backpacks/kids/

We looked at Deuter and Osprey mainly because I've had good luck with both of those brands personally. I've especially liked my Deuter packs and their child carriers.

CamelBak has a number of daypacks for kids too, that you might consider. My son has a hydration pack from them too.

If you have a store to try on packs at, I'd recommend that for your son. Be sure to measure his torso, just like you would your own, and see how it fits him for what he'll be doing.

Good luck.

10:49 p.m. on March 5, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
61 forum posts

Golly Alicia that's really helpful. Thanks tons.

9:14 a.m. on March 10, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,079 forum posts

phraber said:

Golly Alicia that's really helpful. Thanks tons.

You're welcome. Let us know how it works out.

2:55 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
BRAND REP
280 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

The Osprey Jib 35 and Ace 48 are great kids' packs for overnight or weekend trips. They're fully adjustable in the torso so they can grow with your child, and feature an integrated rain cover (a great value). Lots of young Boy Scouts like the Ace 48 for their first short backpacking trips. Good luck!

3:53 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I've got a Mountiansmith Eagle, kinda like the Youth Scout. That I'm willing to sell. Used 2 times. $35 plus shipping.

4:24 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

100_3211.jpg

1:05 p.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I'm taking it back. Rita want it.

9:57 p.m. on March 16, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Osprey has some kids packs - I believe they are called Jib / Jab?

2:23 a.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Do you have a check list for what's inside the backpack?

9:01 a.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

No. But I do now. That a great idea for hyperactive hikers.

6:36 p.m. on July 1, 2012 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
49 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

It would be a big help to know what his size is. 

If he's somewhere near my younger son. The only ones I know of are internal frames from Deuter.  I got a Lil' Climber from steepandcheap.com a couple of years ago when my son joined the cub scouts for a Christmas present.  He loves it.  It has a sleeve that will take a 2 liter Camelbak and has enough room for his sleeping bag (Mountain Hardwear Mountain Goat 20F, excellent bag) and a change of clothes)

08-On-the-trail-to-Stan-Murray-Shelter.j
That's it from the back he's 8 in this picture.

I don't think they make it anymore but you can probably get it on ebay.  Deuter's replacement is the Fox 30  which I think is slightly larger than the Lil' Climber. 

If your son is larger then the Fox 40 would be my choice for internal frame. 

For external frame the Alps Mountaineering Red Rock or the Kelty Jr. Tioga 34 are the same capacity. The Kelty will adjust a little smaller in the torso than the Fox 30 but is about a pound heavier.  

Personally I like the internal framed packs for kids because they are usually lighter.  They aren't going to be carrying that much equipment and being lighter will give them a better experience. 

Also check out this thread starting here. There's some really good advice there.

I used computer guys advice several months ago and bought the deuter fox 30 a blue one for my 9 year old and an orange one for my 8 year old.  They are great, they hold all there stuff, pretty light, comfortable and best of all they are very adjustable.  They have been out several times with them.

10:38 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
30 forum posts

Another pack to consider is the REI Passage 40.  My daughter has been using it for 2 years now & really likes it.  It torso is adjustable so it can be used as they grow & it can hold a good bit of gear.  We also looked at Osprey & Deuter, but the REI had comparable options & was cheaper.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply