Sleeping Bags for South America

11:14 p.m. on April 2, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hi guys,

My girlfriend and I are leaving for a trip or 3 month in south america, we are going to visit Peru, Bolivia and Argentina.

The temperatures down there can often be around 0 or -10 CELSIUS ( 32F or 14F)

We are currently looking for sleeping bags and dont know where to start, what brand to look for.

For me i'm looking to a -1 C ( 30F) or little bit colder

My girlfriend would like a -5C ( 23F) minimum ! Lower temperature are good too.

As there will not be any rain expected, A Down insulated sleeping would be better for its weight and size (compressed)

But if you know any good sleeping in synthetic that compress well , let me know

by the way, the use of a liner is not prohibited, so if you know a perfect mix between sleeping bags and liners...

So if you could please help me sort all this 

Waiting for your answers and thanks a lot !

12:11 a.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,068 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace! Get ready for some questions...

However, I think I've actually got it...

No rain, no budget limit? (You didn't mention one, and you're looking at down, so I assume you can spend the coin...)

If those were my constraints, with the given expected conditions, I'd get two down bags from Western Mountaineering: an appropriately-sized Alpinlite for you with a right-hand zipper, and an appropriately-sized Alpinlite for her with a left-hand zipper.

You can mate them together and make a nice semi-tandem bag. You can also rest easy knowing they will keep you warm at the expected temps, and will be well-made. You can rest more easily knowing that if, a couple years down the road, you find you don't want them anymore, you'll be able to sell them for almost exactly what you'll pay for them new today...

8:56 a.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Well budget limit is so so....

As I work in an outdoor company I have so pretty staff deal in the following companies that produce sleeping bags... :

• North face
  • Marmot
  • Mountain Hardware

So if your recommandation could  be in one of the following company it would much appreciated, because if I need to pay the full rpice, then budget will become a limit.
Thanks by the way for the suggestion and the time you took for me. Any other suggestion.

12:46 p.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,068 forum posts

So then yeah...find a couple of Marmot's Pinnacle or Helium bags, as they also can be had with either left or right-hand zippers. I'd go with Marmot, then MH, then TNF. I owned a Helium for w bit, and found it to be the second-best 3-season bag I've ever used. I find that Marmot upholds a very high standard with their gear, and the quality of construction of my old Helium was on par with the few Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends bags I've seen first-hand. 

1:42 p.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,294 forum posts

franco,

I am not sure where in Peru you will be, but based on my experience climbing in Peru during the "dry" season, it does indeed rain in Peru at all times of year. We were rained on in the southeastern part (Cuzco, MacchuPichu, Puno) and in the northern part (Cordillera Blanca, also got snow there), as well as Lima. We didn't have rain in the Atacama, though we were only passing through there. Peru Meteo is at http://www.senamhi.gob.pe/

I haven't been in Bolivia. Argentina is a big area. During my time in the south (Patagonia), it rained more than half the days, though mostly light drizzle. Here is the Argentine Meteo http://www.smn.gov.ar/ and the Chilean Meteo (since the Andes form the boundary between the two) is at:

http://www.meteochile.gob.cl/reg12.html

Bolivia Meteo is

http://www.senamhi.gob.bo/meteorologia/pronosticoextendido.php and 

http://www.senamhi.gob.bo/meteorologia/pronosticocapitalesimpresion.php

Are you going to be staying in hostals (more like a B&B than a youth hostel), huts, or camping, or ?? If you are staying in hostals, the bedding is provided. In huts and hostels (note the difference in spelling), you do need sleeping bags, as you would when camping. For the huts and camping, you will need rain protection. If you spend time in Amazonia (the upper Amazon regions), it is damp all year around. Plus, the remnants of the Sendero Luminoso are still around in Amazonia, though not as active as a decade or two ago.

As for the sleeping bags, if you want down, I would suggest Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends first, then Marmot or Mountain Hardwear (it is "Hardwear", not "Hardware"). Note that I omitted TNF (intentionally), even though I have good friends who are among their "ambassadors".

1:50 p.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Valandre may be another manufacturer worth taking a look at as well.

I have them as well as WM, and FF om my radar now.

I am probably going to buy a cold weather down bag this summer. I have a few synthetics that I like but I want to give down a whirl.

From all that I have read/learned about the 3 companies they make awesome products. Not much negativity in regards to feedback other than price.

Just not sure which one.

4:25 p.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

With a limited budget, I would get something like a TNF Cat's Meow. I have one and used it in New Zealand. Mine is an old one from the mid 80's and the new ones are slightly different, but I consider it good value. Marmot has really good customer service. I called them with questions about a used bag I bought and they were very helpful.  My bag seems well made, but haven't used it yet.

If you are working in a store, I'd just spend some time looking at what you carry and get whatever is the best deal.

The weather where you are going could really vary depending on where you are. I used to live in La Paz. It doesn't get really cold and is pretty dry, but the rest of the country gets a fair amount of rain.

8:32 p.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

pillowthread said:

So then yeah...find a couple of Marmot's Pinnacle or Helium bags, as they also can be had with either left or right-hand zippers. I'd go with Marmot, then MH, then TNF. I owned a Helium for w bit, and found it to be the second-best 3-season bag I've ever used. I find that Marmot upholds a very high standard with their gear, and the quality of construction of my old Helium was on par with the few Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends bags I've seen first-hand. 

If your are on a budget than that is ever more reason to consider pre owned bags. Out of the list you have given I would far and away recommend Marmot. If your looking at Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, or Valandre then quite often used these bags bring so close to the new cost that one just might as well buy new. One of the sites that many on Trailspace trust is a site called Gear Trade

http://www.geartrade.com/

Here is a Marmot Teton 0 Degree Women's Sleeping Bag - Long that appears to have a right hand zipper. You would want to mail them to be sure.

http://www.geartrade.com/item/251886

and:

Here is a Marmot Lithium Sleeping Bag: 0 Degree Down Bonfire, Long/ that appears to me to have a left hand zipper.

http://www.geartrade.com/item/252569

Now, Since you work in the outdoor gear industry and upon depending your discount these may or may not be cheaper than you can get them for. If in fact they are left and right hand zippers I would give Marmot a call to make sure they will mate.

10:37 p.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

I use a mountain Hardwear Lamina 35 with. When cold I add my warm undies and add my rain wear if needed. The bag compresses to about the size of a volleyball. A little smaller actually. I don't use the compression bag that come standard though.

11:13 a.m. on April 4, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

If you are sleeping in a good tent then Down bags.

September 14, 2014
Quick Reply