What Medicinal herbs should you take with you camping?

2:06 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

What Medicinal herbs should you take with you camping? I used to own a Bulk Herb Co. I would take goldenseal,a natural antibiotic used internally and externally..even for toothaches.Tea tree Oil, for bug bites and especially spider bites. And activated charcoal. Making a poltice of this draws poison our of your skin, bee stings, spider bites and could atleast stop the poison some in a snake bite.You can drink charcoal for poisonings too when of course mixed with water.The hospitals use it all the time. What would you take for emergencies?

2:09 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

If nothing else and I'm going light I always at least  have tee tree on board.

2:27 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

apeman said:

If nothing else and I'm going light I always at least  have tee tree on board.

 I know this is awesome stuff. i lived in AR for a bit and was bit by a Brown recluse spider, I know as I swatted it of my shoulder. I took charcoal and made a poltice with water and kept this on it to draw the poison out, then took this off and tea tree 'd it up good. With poisonous spider bites they rot the skin then get infected so this method  draws the poison out and dries the bite up. I never even got a scar.I later went to a store and this lady had a bandage on her check she was the checker, a week later she had the bandage off and a crater scar was on her check from a Brown Recluse...I wish I knew what happened to her so I could of helped prevent this horrible scar and that right on her face.

3:19 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

tea tree is a good one

12:47 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,046 forum posts

I use tea tree oil in a liquid soap when I backpack.  Seems to keep my feet happy.  I don't want to sound like a buzz-kill, but while activated charcoal may be a useful adjunct to other treatments, if you're bitten by a spider, you should seek medical care ASAP.  Charcoal might be complimentary to antibiotics and antivenins, but it is not the standard of care for treatment. Similarly, I've heard that jewel weed is wonderful for poison ivy.  If I was seriously allergic though, I'd pop whatever steroids I was prescribed, and might consider jewel weed in addition.

12:55 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Tea Tree oil is antifungal that why it keeps your feet happy and it dries up sore ,ie, blisters. I wrote an article on this under articles @ www.everythingsurvival.com I also have articles on Charcoal and other things.Tea tree will make a tich crawl out of your skin, just dump it on the little creep and watch him wiggle out!

 

1:02 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

One time around 7 years ago 3 of my kids came screaming into the house at the same time, they were so upset they couldn't tell me what was wrong...I desperately searched them over and found bees stinging them under there clothes. I ripped there clothes off as fast as I could . We had a hiddlen bees nest of those little tiny yellow jacket bees under ground. Our neighbours got stung the next day too as they had a hidden nest in there yard . The 3 kids between them all got about 20 stings. I immediately got out the charcoal and mixed it with water and patched it all over the stings they were all fine in 20 minutes and not even upset. This is so amazing and the hospitals use it all the time to draw poison out and also for some internal poisonings. You can also take it for bad stomache flues also.

11:48 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Seth said:

I use tea tree oil in a liquid soap when I backpack.  Seems to keep my feet happy.  I don't want to sound like a buzz-kill, but while activated charcoal may be a useful adjunct to other treatments, if you're bitten by a spider, you should seek medical care ASAP.  Charcoal might be complimentary to antibiotics and antivenins, but it is not the standard of care for treatment. Similarly, I've heard that jewel weed is wonderful for poison ivy.  If I was seriously allergic though, I'd pop whatever steroids I was prescribed, and might consider jewel weed in addition.

 

11:49 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Yes Jewel weed is good for poison Ivy but so is goat milk soap.Goats eat the stuff and poison oak too. We used to make it on our farm and it sold like crazy.

4:57 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

I agree you should get to a DR, but if your way out in the middle of no where this could atleast be drawing the poison out.

9:05 a.m. on May 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Where could one find tea tree oil and jewel weed. Doesn't sound like something wally world would carry. Health food store or something similar???

1:36 a.m. on May 18, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Walmart might actually have it, but any health food store would for sure.

9:12 a.m. on May 19, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Everyone, I used to own an online bulk herb co.The very best place to get anything like this is AMERIHERB, they sell wholesale and will sent smaller packages too.

11:38 p.m. on May 19, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

To the things already listed above, I would add;

Tumeric - Packed into a wound it will stop bleeding almost immediately

Clove - either capsules of ground clove or the whole clove buds - Anti-microbial - Excellent for Dysentery - Can numb a painful tooth, held in the mouth against the painful/infected area.

Ginger - Excellent anti-inflamatory, Great for upset stomach, nausea, motion sickness, Anti-parasitic

Garlic - Anti-biotic, anti-inflamatory. anti-parasitic. AND - Tastes great with all kinds of food.

Osha root tincture - Kills anything viral, most things bacterial

Willow bark with feverfew for pain/inflamation

I also have training in foraging for wild herbs/plants that are medicinal/edible.

Mullein Leaf & flowers

Burdock Root

Yellow Dock

And typically carry several Homeopathics with me.

11:51 p.m. on May 19, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Tea Tree oil as well as many other things are available from iherb.com - I order from there often, they are a great company to deal with and very reasonable pricing. Use this code   LEK261 and get $5.00 of your first order.

Jewel weed is a "weed" grows wild all over the place. Typically if poison ivy grows there, so does jewel weed.

1:16 a.m. on May 20, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

JerseyWreckDiver said:

To the things already listed above, I would add;

Tumeric - Packed into a wound it will stop bleeding almost immediately

Clove - either capsules of ground clove or the whole clove buds - Anti-microbial - Excellent for Dysentery - Can numb a painful tooth, held in the mouth against the painful/infected area.

Ginger - Excellent anti-inflamatory, Great for upset stomach, nausea, motion sickness, Anti-parasitic

Garlic - Anti-biotic, anti-inflamatory. anti-parasitic. AND - Tastes great with all kinds of food.

Osha root tincture - Kills anything viral, most things bacterial

Willow bark with feverfew for pain/inflamation

I also have training in foraging for wild herbs/plants that are medicinal/edible.

Mullein Leaf & flowers

Burdock Root

Yellow Dock

And typically carry several Homeopathics with me.

 Someones done their homework.

12:29 p.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Not so much homework, as a way of life.

I don't take pharmaceutical anything or even over the counter drugs. My child nor any of my animals has ever been vaccinated & for the past twenty five years I haven't run into any issue that I couldn't handle with Herbs, Homeopathics or Nutrition.

5:36 p.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

dingo said:

Where could one find tea tree oil and jewel weed. Doesn't sound like something wally world would carry. Health food store or something similar???

 We get tea tree oil in natural food stores and some larger discount stores. Jewel Weed Impatiens capensis grows just about everywhere here in the Northeast.

Though not backpack friendly, for home use I collect Jewel Weed at the peak of ripeness (in about 2 weeks) grind it in a food processor and freeze it in ice cube trays. Great for cooling sunburn, insect bites, and yes of course, poison ivy.

10:48 p.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

f_klock said:

... collect Jewel Weed at the peak of ripeness (in about 2 weeks) grind it in a food processor and freeze it in ice cube trays.

 That is such a great idea! As it's growing season matches up pretty perfectly with poison ivy, I usually just go out and find some when I need it. This, however, I will have to do. 

8:09 a.m. on May 23, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

JerseyWreckDiver said:

Not so much homework, as a way of life.

I don't take pharmaceutical anything or even over the counter drugs. My child nor any of my animals has ever been vaccinated & for the past twenty five years I haven't run into any issue that I couldn't handle with Herbs, Homeopathics or Nutrition.

 80-85% of all Pharmacutical meds are mase of herbs, people just fall for the I NEED the Dr thing. I go to the Dr and get my kids shots, but why not use what God gave us.

8:10 a.m. on May 23, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

gonzan said:

f_klock said:

... collect Jewel Weed at the peak of ripeness (in about 2 weeks) grind it in a food processor and freeze it in ice cube trays.

 That is such a great idea! As it's growing season matches up pretty perfectly with poison ivy, I usually just go out and find some when I need it. This, however, I will have to do. 

 Yes, that is a great idea!

10:40 a.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

tam1852 said:

JerseyWreckDiver said:

Not so much homework, as a way of life.

I don't take pharmaceutical anything or even over the counter drugs. My child nor any of my animals has ever been vaccinated & for the past twenty five years I haven't run into any issue that I couldn't handle with Herbs, Homeopathics or Nutrition.

 80-85% of all Pharmacutical meds are mase of herbs, people just fall for the I NEED the Dr thing. I go to the Dr and get my kids shots, but why not use what God gave us.

 Actually, it starts out when they find a plant that indigenous peoples have been using medicinally for hundreds or thousands of years. But then they take it to the lab and try to isolate key components, then adulterate the hell out of it, synthesizing just those [key] components and leaving out all of the important co-factors that the plant has. Just the stupid stuff, the enzymes that keep the key components from breaking down into something toxic & destroying your liver...,  different synergistic molecules that actually make the key components work, but are just too expensive for the shareholders to bear. They finally wind up with their superdrugs that have very little if anything to do with the plant anymore, especially the healing effect.

10:45 a.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

f_klock said:

dingo said:

Where could one find tea tree oil and jewel weed. Doesn't sound like something wally world would carry. Health food store or something similar???

 We get tea tree oil in natural food stores and some larger discount stores. Jewel Weed Impatiens capensis grows just about everywhere here in the Northeast.

Though not backpack friendly, for home use I collect Jewel Weed at the peak of ripeness (in about 2 weeks) grind it in a food processor and freeze it in ice cube trays. Great for cooling sunburn, insect bites, and yes of course, poison ivy.

 I've thought about running it through a juicer before, but I have it growing all over my back yard now. Transplanted a couple plants from somewhere else several years ago. Not easy though as it begins to wilt within minutes of picking it.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply

Please sign in to reply

 
More Topics
This forum: Older: Anyone in Missouri recommend a good place to go backpack or campout? Newer: A Hello from a new member
All forums: Older: Water Bottles: Nalgene or SS (Kleen-Kanteen) -- Wha'cha use, and why ? Newer: How to make some of my gear waterproof