New in Missouri

6:57 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Howdy! I just moved to the Cape Girardeau, MO and am looking for hiking places as well as stores. I really need to get into better shape and would love to do this by being outdoors. I have some items already which include: MSR Hubba Tent MSR Superfly Stove ThermaRest Self inflating Sleeping pad (can't remember the name.. I think it the trail lite one. It can go into the chair conversion kit) some random backpacking pots that were given to me I have some basic hiking clothing as well as a few various other items I would appreciate help with gear, I know that there are a lot of information out there about that and am reading some books including the Complete Walker by Fletcher. I am mainly in need of a pack, sleeping back and clothing. For boots I switch between some trail runners and Teva hiking boots that I really like. I am a 5 ft 5 in tall male weighing 235LBS (for now) and I am not sure my torso size right now. Thanks for the help guys and gals!

EDIT: I would like a less expensive backpack or one that would most likely be adjustable for when I lose all my weight.

Oh and I need some decent trekking poles

10:41 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

Welcome.

I like the Cape area,but have never hiked the area.

Wife and I got trekking pole from wally world. Not the best I know, but when I snapped one a couple weeks ago they replaced it, no questions asked.(I did ask the guy if he was allergic to P.I., he was severly, he thanked me.)

Enjoy your time outdoors.

10:47 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

Me again.

We also purchased our backpacks at wally world. Wifes is a eureka, nice pack but doesnt fit me at all. I have a large coleman that is adjustable in the torso area, its around 5 lbs and I believe its a 6500 model.

Most all the other stuff we purchased online from the cheapest places we could find it, with free shipping. I hate to pay shipping.

12:03 a.m. on June 2, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

Look for the REI Garage sale to pick great stuff up at good prices. Also, people here sometimes have gear for sale. Welcome!

10:40 p.m. on June 2, 2012 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

giftogab said:

Look for the REI Garage sale to pick great stuff up at good prices. Also, people here sometimes have gear for sale. Welcome!

+1, and especially to the 'Welcome'. 

And neighbourhood garage sales, Kijiji, Goodwill and Salvation Army stores, and your old Army buddy's closet.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply