MSR Whisperlite Flame

3:50 p.m. on August 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Hello to All,

I just joined the blog, today. I have an old MSR Whisperlite that uses a canister. I bought it in the middle 1990's and I don't have the manual.  I used it this past weekend, and I noticed a lot of flame coming from the port, instead of the usual small blue flame. I looked at repair kits, but they seemed to be for the white gas bottles. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

6:09 p.m. on August 4, 2012 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

You're getting some oxygen in there from somewhere. One place to start would be to heck all O rings. Any that are hard or cracked should be replaced. 

Check the MSR Whisperlite webpage. It has videos for maintenance etc. On the "More Info" tab there are links to manuals and schematics.

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/simple-cooking/whisperlite/product

Even though you have the canister adaptation, there is no difference from the hose on down. If your problem is upstream -- closer to the canister -- than the place where the hose attaches, get professional help or a new stove. These are user-repairable, but not by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. Fireballs are very bad things, even out in the open, as many YouTube videos attest.

7:45 p.m. on August 4, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

yeah contact Cascade Designs ,  and,

Welcome to TS

8:29 a.m. on August 5, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Thanks for the help! The leak of oxygen is right at the exit point. I will contact Cascade Designs.

4:15 p.m. on August 5, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,549 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace Snuffy2202!

We hope you get your stove working well and have a great time using it, a couple questions if you don't mind.....

Are you sure the stove you have is a Whisperlite?

Have you been able to determine exactly which stove you have by using the online manuals or other info from MSR / Cascade designs?

Did the stove recently perform okay before your weekend trip?

As Brer Arnold recommends, have you had a chance to check all the O-rings yet? You can refer to the Whisperlite online manual for their locations. (provided your stove is the Whisperlite)

MSR has very good user manuals in my experience that should help you trouble shoot any problems with your stove as well as guiding you through a thorough cleaning (Stove Maintenance section) which is always a good idea with an older stove.

Let us know how it's going!

Best of luck,

Mike G.

9:11 a.m. on August 6, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Thanks for your help, Mike. No, I am not sure it is a Whisperlite. It just looks like one. I can't find any O rings on it. I guess I will keep trying to find my manual. It worked fine when I used it last Nov. Thanks again!

9:24 a.m. on August 6, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Welcome, Snuffy! 

I have nothing further to add, as others covered it all :)

10:11 a.m. on August 6, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,549 forum posts

Snuffy2202 said:

Thanks for your help, Mike. No, I am not sure it is a Whisperlite. It just looks like one. I can't find any O rings on it. I guess I will keep trying to find my manual. It worked fine when I used it last Nov. Thanks again!

If it would be possible for you to post a photo of your stove I bet there are several members here at Trailspace that can tell you exactly which stove you have, and how to fix it.

Mike G.

1:50 p.m. on August 6, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Well, I finally found my manual. It is not a Whiperlite after all, (Thanks, Mike). It is a Winpro. The instructions say it is maintenance free, and I need to send it to the manufacturer for repairs. It may be better to just get a new stove, I don't know. 

2:34 p.m. on August 6, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,549 forum posts

Okay if it's a WindPro maybe one of the members here can give you some useful advise. I have not owned one myself.

Obviously it is wise to follow the manufacturers recommendations.

Is the canister you have a new canister or has it been sitting around for a long time?

According to the manual for your stove there is a seal at the fuel control valve / fitting that screws onto the fuel canister, have you had a chance to check that seal and see what condition it is in?

Looking at the schematic for the WindPro you also have a fuel jet in the end of the fuel line at the bottom of the stove. If you feel confident in doing so I would remove the screw that connects the line to the stove and clean that jet & its orifice with some carburetor cleaner and a small wire even if it looks clean. Be careful not to cross thread the jet or screw when re-assembling.

I hope that helps,

Mike G.

12:43 a.m. on August 7, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

There isn't much to go wrong with this type of stove.

You do not describe how long you ran the stove with this problem.  If it was only a few minutes, it may be possible condensation or an accidental spill deposited liquid in the burner head. It is also possible you somehow got liquid into the fuel line.  Both of these conditions will cause the yellow flame until it boils off the liquid.  If this persists more than fifteen minutes you have a different issue. 

You say you haven't used the stove in awhile.  Check for obstructions in the venturi port (the zinc plated metal tube below the burner head that connects the fuel jet to the burner).  Something may have worked its way into that port while the stove was in storage or mid transport.  If the port is free of obstructions, clean the jet as Trout describes. 

One other source of this problem is some liquid was introduced into the gas jet sometime in the past, and subsequent use burned it off, but left a residue somewhere upstream of the jet, obstructing the flow of fuel.  Should this have been the case, it may have created a plug made from the residue of the boiled off liquid. There is a good chance such an obstruction is not user serviceable.  If the above fixes fail to resolve your performance issue return the stove to MSR (Cascade Designs).

Ed

1:39 p.m. on August 7, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,549 forum posts

Ed offers some very good advise, actually I am a bit surprised that a similar cleaning procedure is not listed in the user manual (unless I have overlooked something) for the WindPro.

The user manual for the MSR white gas stoves includes a fairly thorough cleaning procedure that has always been easy for me to follow.

Mike G.

11:48 a.m. on August 8, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Thanks everybody for the replies. Nothing worked, so I sent it off to Cascade Designs. I hope it doesn't cost much to fix. 

11:14 a.m. on August 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I received a reply from Cascase Designs. They said it was a broken fuel line and will fix it and ship it for $25.00.  Not bad. It sure beats buying a new one. BTW, excellent response time and customer service for Cascade Designs. Two thumbs up!

December 17, 2014
Quick Reply