Beginner in Southern Illinois

1:44 a.m. on August 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Looking for someone to hike with. Wanting to do the River to River here in the Shawnee Natl Forest. Want to start out about the 21st of Aug and finish around the 12th or 13th of Sept. I know that's a long time for a 160 miler, but I also know about the RtR being notorious for loosing it's happy campers. Maybe just some information and pitfalls about the RtR to help put me on my way. Thanks

11:05 a.m. on August 12, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

I live on the east coast and know nothing about your area, but I wanted to welcome you to Trailspace.

I hope someone here can give you some info, best of luck with your trip.

Mike G.

4:57 p.m. on August 14, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace! I call Southern Illinois home for much of the year; were I you, I'd stop by Shawnee Trails Outfitters in Carbondale, and talk to Rick. He'll have all the beta you need, and you can pick up the River-to-River trail guide there as well. Tell him Vince told you to come by.

5:55 p.m. on August 14, 2012 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
53 forum posts

I love the Shawnee. I should be back down there in the next couple weeks. 

10:13 p.m. on August 14, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Thanx for Welcoming,

Wanting to return to something I loved long ago and found this site. 'pillowhead', I'll stop by STO and talk to Rick. I do need the RtR guidebook. I wondered if I could buy it somewhere than Rangers station at Harrisburg.

'tiredofwinter', You'll be starting school by the time I hit the trail ?

Anyway, got it planned for the 22nd as the on the trail date. I do believe my wife will join me. Can you see it now, an old fart and a housewife starting out on a trip that will change their lives? Oh, that's right! "Been dere done dat." Yes, it will be an experience. And I hope for her sake she can finish the trail. It will be a moving experience for both of us.

Let me know when you are headed in this direction. Here is a good place.

7:06 p.m. on August 26, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Pillowthread, talked to Rick at S.T.O. but he couldn't place your handle and I forgot your name. Anyway got the trail guide and looks like I'll bust my first trail (solo) starting Tuesday. Then wife joins me Friday morn till Sunday eve. That's when I come off trail. Looking for 60 miles of scenic trail and hopefully good weather.  Got to do it in sections.

8:22 p.m. on August 26, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

Lucky dog! I love the R2RT; I have an informal goal of doing it as a thru-hike over a few days' time, bringing no shelter and taking advantage of the multiple caves and overhangs along the way. I thru-hiked it back in 2009, and have many great memories...

Next time I'm down in Carbondale, I'll look you and tiredofwinter up; we'll have to share a campfire or two...

10:58 a.m. on August 27, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Deal.....

11:08 p.m. on August 29, 2012 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
53 forum posts

IBratchet said:

'tiredofwinter', You'll be starting school by the time I hit the trail ?

Anyway, got it planned for the 22nd as the on the trail date. I do believe my wife will join me. Can you see it now, an old fart and a housewife starting out on a trip that will change their lives? Oh, that's right! "Been dere done dat." Yes, it will be an experience. And I hope for her sake she can finish the trail. It will be a moving experience for both of us.

Let me know when you are headed in this direction. Here is a good place.

I go to school in Eastern Iowa. I usually try to get down there for camping/herping in the fall. I planned on making a trip recently but turns out I'm completely broke! Haha. 

I should be down there early October. My favorite hiking/camping is 65F-70F during the day, and 40F-50F at night. It's been high 80's at night here lately and camping can be a choir instead of a privilege when it's that hot!

I'll let you know brother! I'm always up for meeting fellow hikers! (pillowthread/IBratchet)

12:07 p.m. on August 30, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I think I'll be one of those that will start long distance hiking in the early summer or late fall also. The heat can be a problem both day and nite especially during this drought. Days here are in the high 80's or low 90's and nites in the high 60's. The weather I can deal with but, the herping? No way! I leave snakes and lizards where they are. LOL.

Let me know you are here I'll go out with you for a day or two. Got next year planned. It's out to the AT.

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply