at trail or cart trail and sections or straight thru for 1st extended trip

1:23 p.m. on November 24, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

Getting some input on a few things.now that i have about 6 months of day hikes and do not feel quite so new my goal since starting in march is to do as i call it a for real trail :) I think i prefer the first trip to be the at trail but welcome input on those 2. next decision is sections or start to finish thru hiking.my 5 grandchildren are 6,5,4,3,and 2 and I have gotten them my 2 days off for the day ever since the 1st one has been born so kind of agreeing with the hubby I would have a hard time leaving them for 6 months or so while they are so young.If i choose to do sections my goal will be to do start to finish thru hiking when they are all older and can understand better why I am gone that long and can cheer me on :) anyone care to share thier experience of doing it both ways to help give me a better idea? thank you so much for all the help so far.I hope that as i gain experience someday I will have the knowledge and know how to help newer ones :)

3:50 p.m. on December 4, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I think you better take it in sections. you'd miss the kids too much. how are your overnite hikes coming along? last time you said you were planning some overnighters. now your talking about the AT. pretty ambitious!

4:50 p.m. on December 5, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

I am excited for this goal because back in march i couldnt walk down my street and was at 186 pounds.now i can fly up hills, do 9 miles in a day carrying my stuff and be back to enjoying what i enjoyed when my children were teenagers and did it all with them. (as a side benefit of getting stronger and healthier i have lost 30 pound so far yay) i might try and post a few pics of me b4 and after the start of this journey.didnt realize how much i missed the outdoors till started back to it.any suggestions feel free :)I have been doing 6 to 9 miles daily carrying my gear except for tent and sleeping bag.(i have carried the tent as well a few times but most days its so light i know i can add it at any time without struggling)at first a lot of people were asking alot of questions including did i need a ride but most now know my goal of the at trail. I have met lots of new people as well.I know i will probably not be ready for the entire trail at one time by this spring or fall but have studied on thier website and the trail according to sections and the states they run thru.maryland seem to be the preferred choice for first time section as it is rated a 4 to 5 day trip with moderate terrain.my problem will be finding a group or person this march or september (they say april or september is when you should do this section,i would like march to not have it crowded).my goal is to do my first section this spring or fall (i will have to add 2 days for the drive to starting point and back home) and even if i do some sections as soon as all the grandchildren are old enough to understand why im not getting them every week and cheer me on from home i want to do the entire trail start to finish. I would be comfortable doing 4 days myself but my husband is having a hard time with the prospect of going alone so hoping one of my friends that is in decent shape will be willing to go.

5:00 p.m. on December 5, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

by all means, your better off doing it with a hiking partner. 

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply