Rain shell

4:58 p.m. on December 18, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

I am looking for a rain shell that can work while hiking and around town. I dont really care how it looks, I just want it to work. I have a Patagonia Torrentshell jacket now but the hood doesnt fully cover my head. I am 5' 3" and 125lbs, so finding a jacket that doesnt feel huge on me has proved difficult. If there is one that has a more athletic or snug fit that would be best, but I am open to any suggestions. Ready, go!

5:38 a.m. on December 19, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I have a "Log House Designs" Gore-Tex suit that I bought from Campmor.

I love the jacket. Can wear it in the woods, running or to church.

Perfectly waterproof and a great wind blocker

6:53 a.m. on December 19, 2012 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Try some Dri Ducks. Perfect for around town, not for bushwacking. And cheap.

7:11 a.m. on December 19, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

For a relatively cheap price point compared to what is out there I would go with a Marmot Precip:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/marmot/precip-jacket/

Or REI's Ultralight:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/rei/ultra-light-jacket/

Here are 2 options from GoLite:

http://www.golite.com/Ms-Malpais-Trinity-3-Layer-Liteshell-Jacket-P905.aspx

http://www.golite.com/Ms-Tumalo-Trinity-25-Layer-Jacket-P46755.aspx 

Just a few that I came up with in a pinch that wouldn't be hard on the wallet.

Happy hiking. 

11:13 a.m. on December 19, 2012 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,210 forum posts

Helly Hansen

2:34 p.m. on December 19, 2012 (EST)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Outdoor Research, for the GoreTex, and for the comfort of having pit zips.

I'm 150 lbs and 5'8" and I wear their men's small, so even that might be too big. Not a putdown by any means, but have you considered shopping in the teens/kids section? I have a friend who's about 5' and she gets lots of great deals and a better fit at MEC (like REI) if she looks there.

7:28 p.m. on December 19, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

columbia bugaboo jacket, waterproof breathable shell with a fleece liner, marmut precip is also a good inexpensive rain shell, although it doesn't have an insulating liner. check out the clothing page for reviews.

2:06 a.m. on December 20, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
812 reviewer rep
551 forum posts

I can honestly say this: I recently acquired an Arcteryx Alpha SL Hybrid jacket and it is one of the nicest jackets I've owned. Despite the price tag, this jacket's fit and finish are top notch. The hybrid designation is from the merging of Goretex Paclite and Goretex Pro shell materials. I have an OR jacket made up of Paclite but when I compare the two jackets, the Arcteryx packs smaller and light. Both jackets have awesome water shedding properties. In regards to the Arcteryx hood, it's like wearing a tent on your head! The hood is made to accommodate a helmet. .

5:33 p.m. on December 20, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

IMO you have a contradictory set of specs:

1. Something for in town
  2. That is suitable for hiking
  3. With an athletic cut, snug, fit.

Suitable for hiking, in my book, means capable of accommodating warm layers underneath.  Nothing along that line will pass as looking snug fitted in the city.  Furthermore I tend to add more layers on hikes than I ever use around the city.  Do note the last thing you want to do is compress your warm layers under a tight shell; that reduces the ability of the insulating layers to provide warmth.  In fact hard shells large enough to accommodate anticipated layer I use on hikes end up being large enough that the sleeves are too long - I just roll them back.  I don't mind this; when it gets cold I unfurl the long sleeves and retract my hands for more warmth.  But my hard shell all tend to look over size as a result

Ed

8:08 p.m. on December 21, 2012 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

After a day of hiking in the rain I take off my hiking gear. I put on the dri ducks. They are so much more comfortable than the rain gear that I use for hiking. They keep me dry at camp. They are very light and paper thin, and they breath. Give them a try. Around $20 a suit.

10:20 a.m. on December 22, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Thanks for the advice Ed, I did not realize I had conflicting requests. That helps me out when Im looking for this rain jacket.

10:20 a.m. on December 23, 2012 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,210 forum posts

ipanderson,

Since you already have a Patagucci jacket, why not add a decent rain hat and call it good?  A lot of people seem to have perfectly good outdoor clothing and want ot replace it with something similar.  Sounds like the advertising is working well.

1:13 p.m. on December 23, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,305 forum posts

So what's the current "state of the art" in materials that are waterproof and maximally breathable?  Like the OP, I'm exploring a rain jacket for both backcountry & around town.  I need it to keep me dry, but also vent as much sweat as possible so I don't show up at work looking like a drowned rat. :)

3:18 p.m. on December 23, 2012 (EST)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

So what's the current "state of the art" in materials that are waterproof and maximally breathable?

Probably eVent and Neoshell. I have heard of and experienced eVent delaminating, however, so I would take a chance on either Neoshell or the upcoming lightweight version of it, whatever it is called, if it where me.

Neoshell is very popular, considering how few jackets there are that utilise it in the UK (Rab). Paramo is even more popular and much more breathable, though it works differently to membranes, function-wise.

It would be interesting to see how much of the preference for the new stuff is a product of technology-induced 'user dissatisfaction-frustration'. For example, I find eVent feels 'sweaty' and 'damp', even though it breathes better than ****tex, but that is just because during exertion in the pouring rain, the lack of wetness caused by shielding the body from weather is causing a modern contradistinction in (dis)comfort: the state of being quasi-wet!

Saying all that, the 'own-brand' wpbm jackets are often suitable and a lot less money. 

As for OP, I would keep the patagucci jacket for 'round town and get a bigger-fitting jacket for including winter layers, as has already been suggested above.

1:42 a.m. on December 26, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

Check out O2 products as well...they make some trim-cut jackets and pants out of a tyvek-like material, and their stuff usually comes in at under $50 per piece...

8:50 a.m. on December 26, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

Stoic(backcountry) brand items typically have a more athletic fit. I love my stoic vaporshell.

7:49 p.m. on December 26, 2012 (EST)
93 reviewer rep
36 forum posts

The First Ascent BC200 rain shell is very light, and works well. I used it as my windshell and rain shell when I summited Mount Rainier, trekked in the North Cascades, and visited the Arctic Circle. 

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply