2P tent to choose

6:23 p.m. on August 26, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but not new to camping. I've done a few backpacking trips and plenty of boat/car camping. Until recently, I was always with my brother or using his stuff. However, now that he moved to Europe (I'm in Canada), I need to get my own stuff, especially a tent.

I've made some researchs and narrowed down my choises to the MSR Hubba Hubba, the Marmot Firefly 2p and the Black Diamond Mesa 2p. I chose those models because I want a roomy 2p tent with two side doors and two vestibules, vertical walls, a lot of mesh to see the stars and to get good ventilation (but not too much in the bottom so that water, sand or others don't backsplash into the tent), ideally vents on the fly for good ventilation and as little condensation as possible, preferably lightweight, but durable tent. I know not all criterias are met for the three models I suggest, but they are the ones that are the closest to my needs.

Having said that, now that I've narrowed down my choices to just a few, I'm not sure which tent to buy. Money is not really a factor to take in consideration. I'm planning on doind mainly summer trips and a few spring/fall trips, mostly by car or boat, but sometines backpacking also. I want something that will be durable but also not too heavy. I would like the tent to last for many years. I also want something roomy enough, especially regargind width (vertical walls) and height. Here are the pros and cons I found about my choices.

MSR Hubba Hubba: It's a lightweight tent, easy to set up, but that got a little less resistance to wind due to it's pole design. Nice verticall walls, but not so much width (floor). Full mesh body is nice, but I've heard some users complaining about backsplash (stuff getting inside the tent from passing between the fly and the ground) when it's windy or when it's rainning hard(is it a big issue?). Also, I've read that the fly doesn't have any vents, so condensation is a problem with this tent (is it a big issue?). I have a MSR stove and it's awesome, are the MSR tents also that great regarding quality?

Marmot Firefly 2p: It's a roomy 2p tent (both width and height), but a little bit on the heavy side. Like the MSR Hubba Hubba, its pole design is less resistant than the Black Diamond Mesa against the wind. However, it seems like a durable tent (considering the materials), maybe a little bit more then MSR Hubba Hubba and Black Diamond Mesa (am I right or wrong about this statement?). There's mesh for stargazing, but less in the bottom, so it's less prone to get backsplashs from outside in bad weather. A nice touch are the vetns on the fly; I guess the condensation would be less of a problem than with the Hubba Hubba (am I right or wrong?). I'm not sure though if Marmot makes as high quality products as MSR (what's your opinion?).

Black Diamond Mesa 2p: It's a roomy tent (a little bit less than the Marmot Firefly 2p, but more than the MSR Hubba Huba). It's weight is also in the middle of the pack. Good resistance to bad weather (wind, snow, etc.) and the half mesh/half nylon walls are god against backsplashs. Nevertheless, the tent is taper, so less roomy for the feet. Also, the floor water resistance is "only" of 2000 mm where the Hubba Hubba and the Firefly are 3000 mm and the fly water resistance is "only" of 1500 mm where the Hubba Hubba and the Firefly are 1800 mm (will this make a difference in real time usage?). Like the Marmot Firefly 2p, this tent has ventilation on the fly, so I guess the condensation would be less of a problem than with the Hubba Hubba (am I right or wrong?). I do not know about Black Diamond's reliability.

So, are my pros and cons accurate. Do you have others to add? What are the reputation of those brands regarding quality and warranty? What tent would you suggest me and why?

Thanks in advance for your hep and your input.

Blaccko

6:39 p.m. on August 26, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

If you're in Canada, look at MEC's Camper 2. Like the Hubba Hubba, but cheaper. Made for a Canadian climate with less mesh and a higher bathtub floor. Also better water resistance, as I recall. Solves a lot of the problems of the Hubba Hubba, like the roof vents.

Specs here:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5027-694/mec-camper-2-tent/

I've had mine for three years of steady use, and it's still in excellent shape.

7:46 p.m. on August 26, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
165 forum posts

I have a hubba hubba and really dig it...

Plenty of room inside---I can fully sit up and still have headroom....

And I dig the side entry doors......for two people this is nice since you don't have to crawl over the other person...

I've had it in some pretty intense rainstorms and have maybe gotten a drop of water in it...

The only problem I've had with condensation is during fog....with fog blowing through, the mesh seems to collect it.....but as long as I don't touch the walls---I stay dry....

I just ordered a hubba as I'm trying to cut some weight and plan on selling my big Agnes fly creek 2...

4:45 p.m. on September 1, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

go with the hubba hubba. good tent for the money.

9:23 a.m. on September 2, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your answers. The MEC Camper 2 seems nice, but it ain't got vertical walls, so it doesn't fit my needs. The Hubba Hubba looks like a nice choice. If anyone have inputs regarding the Firefly 2P from Marmo or the Mesa from Black Diamond (or these brands), feel free to jump in.

Thanks,

Blaccko

9:43 a.m. on September 2, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Just out of curiosity have you considered the Big Agnes Copper Spur line?

It seems as though this model would meet your criteria as well.

I had the UL1(sold it to a member here-here is a review I did on it) but it was a good, solid lil tent that held up well in some pretty nasty weather...

9:21 p.m. on September 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. Yeah, I did consider the Copper Spur SL2, but it seemed like a lightweight and fragile tent, so I cross it from my list. The guy at the store also told me it was a good tent, but a fragile one. Do you agree?

Thank you,

Blaccko

9:28 p.m. on September 3, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Eh, compared too?

The materials on the MSR are not that burly either.

If I remember correctly the floor is 40D which is not what I would consider robust.

9:38 p.m. on September 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
165 forum posts

I have a hubba hubba and was also looking at copper spur the other day...

Both are not really burly but hubba hubba is a bit thicker....hence a little more weight...

However both would hold up strong---I've used my H H for 4 years getting out maybe 30 weekends each year and haven't had any rips...

I do have one small hole in mesh due to a moth...

Also as Rick stated the UL 1 holds up pretty well in storms...

I also have a UL 2 that started using this year that has kept me plenty dry in some southern rain storms...

And FWIW---I was going to list that tent for sale next week...

11:59 a.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
470 forum posts

http://warmlite.com/tents/tents-technical-data

3 Person tent 60x150" footprint, 41" high,  two doors, 3.75 pounds  $600+

2 Person tent  60x134", 2.75lb,  $500+

Both cost about a cup of cheap coffee a day for a year.  Get a cookie jar stash and buy it for next season.

9:24 p.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,369 reviewer rep
742 forum posts

So, I know you're looking at a tent, but I'm going to suggest trying a hammock set-up. I started hammock camping a year ago, and I'll never go back to "ground dwelling" again.

It's not as intuitive as tent camping. I'm still tweaking my system, but I've hung in temps down to 23F, and have been happy and warm.

You can get into a hammock and tarp set-up for less than a 2-man tent. The best hammocks (like Clark Jungle Hammocks) will set you back $300-$400, and I plan to have one for my thru-hike on the AT in a few years.

5:53 p.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts
10:19 a.m. on November 14, 2013 (EST)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Maybe check out the Sierra Designs Zia 2.  It has the vertical walls you are looking for and should be pretty durable.   I just picked up a Zia 3.  I haven't used it yet but seems like a nice tent.  I will be trying it out in a week.  

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/sierra-designs/zia-2/

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply