stansport tent clips

8:40 a.m. on January 9, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Trying to update older tent and not have slide the poles through the sleeves, takes too much time and no fun with wind blowing on the AT. Tried few sites on web but no help. Anyone have an idea. Thanks... Dundee

10:00 a.m. on January 9, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
393 forum posts

You could try sewing tabs with clips to the tent, but if you hang them from your existing poles it will likely be a pretty limp pitch.  Perhaps you could sew a series of small loops and then thread the poles through them rather than the entire sleeves in order to keep the pitch about the same?  Might be able to do it in such a way you have the option of threading the poles either way, using fast pitch when speed is needed or regular pitch when desiring more stability.

2:32 p.m. on January 9, 2014 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Hi Mark and welcome to TS.

You must really like this tent. Sewing hooks on to the inner is not a big deal but is time consuming. Not really sure if it is a big enough upgrade to be worth the time, but that is up to you. First measure the distance from the inner to the pole. Take that measurement and x2 add another 1/2 inch. Then cut off the pole sleeves, making sure that you don't cut the inner tent. Now decide on how many hooks you need for each pole, and where you would need them on the inner. Mark these points on the inner.

Now with that measurement that you took take some rip stop nylon or any other fabric that you might choose and cut to that length. On the Hook there should be a flat slot opposite the hook, Cut the nylon to fit. Then loop it through. At this point you could put a stitch right under the hooks slot to hold the hook from moving around. Now you are ready to sew to the inner tent. Remember you only have 1/4 to sew to now. It you feel that is too small of an area you can add to that 1/2 inch. That will depend on your skill level. Make sure that you sew it securely to the seam. These areas will be a week point now on the tent. But should hold for a season or two.

Like I said, I'm not convinced that this will be a great upgrade for an older tent. It might be wiser just to buy another tent instead. But upgrading old stuff is fun and can be quite rewarding. But mistakes can and will be made from time to time.

Good luck and have fun. 

2:55 p.m. on January 9, 2014 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I just did a search for tent clips. I found nothing. Lucky for you I have many. Do you need them?

PM me with how many you need and your address and I will be happy to send them to you. 

7:27 p.m. on January 10, 2014 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

mikemorrow said:

I just did a search for tent clips. I found nothing. Lucky for you I have many. Do you need them?

PM me with how many you need and your address and I will be happy to send them to you. 

A great example of a "Useful" post.

That's a cool offer Mike.

1:45 a.m. on January 12, 2014 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Consider the time you'll spend on this project, and the quality of the tent you are customizing (I know I started with a Stansport).  You might consider it preferable to invest funds in a better, gentley used tent, than invest time in a tent you will have to replace sooner, rather than later.

Ed

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply