sleeping bag dilema

7:22 p.m. on February 13, 2014 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

I a, planning on going camping very soon and am torn between 2 sleeping down bags. The 2 I'm looking at are the Sea to Summit XT 1 sleeping bag and the MontBell spiral down hugger sleeping bag. Both are down and rated to 19 and 15 degrees respectfully. The MontBell is made in China and the Sea to Summit is made somewhere else(not sure).The price is almost the same.

9:27 p.m. on February 13, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
431 forum posts

camperpete...from all indications the MontBell bag is superior...though I am unsure about price since the STS bag is difficult to find available. The MontBell bag has a warmer temp rating and weighs less...and if that wasn't enough...for folks like me who move around a lot at night...like to position one knee out...or otherwise unconsciously pursue acts of nocturnal contortion...the MontBell bag is a far more comfortable bag (I'm not a fan of sleeping-bags in general...but I've had my eye on this one for a while...just wish they made a 40-30 degree version). If the STS bag is cheaper and you sleep on your back like the dead...then the STS bag might be the ticket...since it is only a few ounces heavier. However...if you move around a lot at night the differential distribution of down 40/60 would likely produce cold-spots.

9:09 a.m. on February 14, 2014 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

I'm a side sleeper so that might help with the decision.

1:07 p.m. on February 14, 2014 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

I went with the Sea to Summit XT I bag as the company I purchased it from(Moosejaw) gave me a discount on the price and I read a review and people complain about the zipper on the MontBell and didn't see that in the many reviews I read about the Traverse. I will give a review once I get the bag. Also there is a noticeable price increase from the 2013 bags to the 2014 bags. Sea to Summit could have raised the price on all 2013 bags but didn't. It doesn't matter if I got a 2013 model but to some people it does.

1:22 p.m. on February 14, 2014 (EST)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Nice!!  Often times there are some great deals to be had on last year's stuff.  That is how I get discounts on much of my gear.  Paying retail is silly if you ask me.  Hope you enjoy the bag camperPete!!  Don't forget to review it.

3:18 p.m. on February 14, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
431 forum posts

Great...there probably isn't a lot of days remaining this winter to really test the lower limits of the bag (depending on where you live and play)...but if you get the chance to test it near the limits take special note of the difference between the back-side of the back and top-side...really curious about the differential fill.

9:14 a.m. on February 15, 2014 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

When I worked at an outdoor store in NJ years ago ,I bought a Marmot Gopher down sleeping bag. I think it was rated to -10 and it was a beautiful bag. It would loft to really high and I always wondered about the temp rating. Granted it was a $500.00 sleeping bag back in the early 90's so I thought it had better been good. When I was in the National Guard,I used that bag several times when we would go on our weekend overnight. It snowed on 2 occasions and I was nice and cozy in the bag, actually warm enough that I had to unzip it to get some cooler air inside. Sadly times got tight years ago and I sold that bag for what I paid for it- $500.00 on E Bay.

10:52 p.m. on February 15, 2014 (EST)
118 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Your temp ratings seem a little high for this area. Where is it you intend on using that bag and when? I was out a few weeks ago and it bottomed out at 5˚below zero.  The usual Winter bag rating around here is at least 0˚. If you plan on heading anywhere north, you might be in for some cold nights.

11:33 p.m. on February 15, 2014 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

JerseyWreckDiver said:

Your temp ratings seem a little high for this area. Where is it you intend on using that bag and when? I was out a few weeks ago and it bottomed out at 5˚below zero.  The usual Winter bag rating around here is at least 0˚. If you plan on heading anywhere north, you might be in for some cold nights.

That's something I think a lot of people fail to take into consideration when buying things like Sleeping bags, Where and when your camping. I use a Mountain Equipment Coop raven down bag which is rated to -7C/19F. Where I live this is considered a 3 season bag you would freeze in it right now. Where some people live and camp this would be a awesome winter bag but way too warm in the summer. So when purchasing a Sleeping bag think about temp rating and where and when your camping you might be able to save yourself some money by going with a Lighter bag.

8:06 a.m. on February 16, 2014 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Well being in the National Guard and camping when its cold-a couple of years ago I bought the Army cold weather sleeping bag which I think is rated with all the components to 15 below so I can use that if I go camping now.

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply