Crampons!!

7:03 a.m. on May 7, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Hi, I'm Calvin going on my first Mountaineering Trip in Chamonix , and I'm buying some Crampons. When buying Crampons do they come a pair or just one?

9:23 a.m. on May 7, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
841 reviewer rep
756 forum posts

They are sold in pairs.  What is important is that they are compatible with the boots you are using.  Some are universal, some are specific.  Also, if you've never used crampons there's a little learning curve with regards to walking in them.  You have to adjust your gait so you're not tearing your clothing or injuring your legs.  Others on this site have more knowledge about them they can pass on to you.

9:25 a.m. on May 7, 2017 (EDT)
23 reviewer rep
234 forum posts

They come in pairs, generally without instructions.  I urge you to buy them in person from a reputable source  it is important that you have the appropriate boots as well.  Many guide services will rent both boots and crampons.

9:54 a.m. on May 7, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,103 reviewer rep
877 forum posts

Do you own your boots already? If so, I HIGHLY recommend taking them with you to the shop. As others have said there are different types of crampons (some are universal and will fit on any boot, some will need a heel welt, some will need a heel and toe welt). 

Depending on what type of uses/performance your going for each type has their own advantages and disadvantages. 

If you are renting boots it's highly likely that the shop rents crampons as well and they'd already know which models for their boots. If you own them, take them to a shop where you can make sure they're fitted to your boots properly.

11:34 a.m. on May 8, 2017 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,874 forum posts

Is this trip mountaineering trip arranged through a guide service, or are you going as an independent climber? 

If arranged through a guide service, contact them about your foot ware needs.  Guide services sometimes will have specific requirements (an obvious one being no flip flops!).  You will want to make sure the stuff you bring meets their specs.

Since you said this is your first trip, I assume you have little or no prior snow and ice climbing experience.  Hopefully the trip you have in mind focuses on teaching these skills; guide services often do not accept newbies on itineraries typically planned assuming certain skills of the participants.  These skills cannot be faked, the guides will be on to any such ruse in short order!

If you are climbing as an independent climber, I highly recommend you invest in your life and obtain instruction before you set off into the white stuff.

Chamonix, is beautiful and has a rich climbing heritage - soak it in!

Ed

12:01 a.m. on May 19, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Thanks for all your help. I'm going with Adventure Consultants, and I plan on buying my own boots, and Crampons, I figured I will purchase equipment from REI.

Once again thanks for all your help!!

November 21, 2017
Quick Reply