Best kind of shoes for running on rough terrain

2:15 a.m. on November 23, 2017 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

WHat is the best pair of shoes that I can grab for running on rough terrains? Whether Nike, Adidas or puma, I am willing to pay for a good quality pair.

8:35 a.m. on November 23, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,631 reviewer rep
229 forum posts

Look to trail runners, and while the brands you list might work you may have better luck away from the mass-market casual wear brands that you mention and looking instead at Altra, La Sportiva, Inov-8, Brooks, Salomon, etc.

But don't buy based on brand, buy based on fit. Go someplace like REI where you will find a good selection and try them on, walk around the store, etc.

9:58 a.m. on November 23, 2017 (EST)
23 reviewer rep
240 forum posts

REI would be an excellent source;my store is well equipped with trail runners and the sales folk know their stuff.

10:58 a.m. on November 23, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,447 reviewer rep
868 forum posts

I'll put in a + for Inov-8. I have had a pair of X-Talon 8s and am now running in X-Talon 12s. They're really tough -- the soles wear out before the uppers start to crack or fall apart, unlike a lot of shoes I have used. And they bite well on both dirt and rock.

11:31 p.m. on November 26, 2017 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
841 reviewer rep
761 forum posts

Altra Lone Peak or Superiors

11:19 a.m. on November 30, 2017 (EST)
5,173 reviewer rep
1,951 forum posts

above all, shoes that fit well.

second, shoes that lace tightly and stay that way. on uneven ground, i place a premium on feet not sliding around.

third, some sort of partial shank or protection from roots and stones underfoot

fourth, treads that do a better job gripping uneven surfaces.

a number of shoes check these boxes.  not only trail runners from the major running shoe companies, but also shoes from some hiking boot/outdoors sources like The North Face, Salomon, Treksta, etc.  

7:52 p.m. on December 5, 2017 (EST)
1,661 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

I have a pair of New Balance Leadville V3 that I have been pretty happy with that you might take a look at.

December 15, 2017
Quick Reply