Ice Climbing

1:52 p.m. on January 3, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Well I want to learn the ins and outs of ice climbing. Not quite sure where I would use this knowledge at in Western Pa. but there are a few things I want to do in the course of my life that require this skill. Any suggestions on where to start?

2:20 p.m. on January 3, 2010 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I like the Mountaineers Books

http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/

I have the "The Freedom of the Hills" and I just got the "Alpine Climbing" (Didn't had the time to read it yet). They have a book on ice climbing that should give you a good starting point.

2:25 p.m. on January 3, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Thanks nirotem. The info is appreciated and I will definitely check it out.

8:01 p.m. on January 3, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
43 forum posts

Go see Rich at Rock and Snow in New Paltz.

He can direct you where you need to go.

9:25 p.m. on January 3, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,312 forum posts

Ice climbing, even more than rock climbing and mountaineering, is an area where you need some formal instruction from highly experienced, and preferably professional, ice climbers. It is well worth your time to take a week to go someplace like North Conway, NH (IME has a good program) or Ouray, CO (several groups associated with the Ice Park). Ice is a tricky substance, easy to misjudge.

10:55 p.m. on January 3, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Yeah I was thinkin that. I would much rather take a hands on course. Thanks for the info Elder/Bill S. I appreciate it. I am trying to expand my knowledge plus at the same time I do not want to cut any corners. I take this type of activity very serious. I plan on travelling over the next few years and this is definitely knowledge that is going to be needed. Thank you.

12:35 p.m. on January 4, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,312 forum posts

IME has changed their name to IMSCE. Their annual Ice Festival, which includes a lot of instruction sessions, is coming up. Look at the post over on Climbing. I think the name change was to reflect a change in their offerings, plus to remove the name conflict with IME in Salt Lake (the 2 were originally part of the same shop and guide company). IME in Salt Lake is also a good bunch of folks, though purely a climbing shop (no guide service).

1:06 p.m. on January 4, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
685 reviewer rep
3,100 forum posts

Rick, as has already been said, I highly suggest taking a multi-day intro course with a climbing school or professional guide. As Bill mentioned, there are several options in New Hampshire, including IMCS and EMS (neither of which I have personally used) and guides like Marc Chauvin (who I took my avy class from last month and is highly regarded) and Mark Synnott (with whom I've done intro and intermediate ice climbing).

One nice thing about an individual guide, is they may be able to tailor the instruction to you and your specific interests.

Another option is to attend an ice festival. Here are some occurring this winter: http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2009/12/08/la-sportiva-gears-up-for-ice-season.html There are usually a number of clinics for various levels. In addition to the Mount Washington Valley one, there is one in the Catskills (Rock and Snow mentioned above is a sponsor). There's also one in Vermont at Smugglers' Notch.

Freedom of the Hills is excellent, and numerous other books from The Mountaineers, will help, but I think it's necessary to get good instruction on ice first.

One last option you might consider, is to look for a mountaineering club at a local college. It's possible there may be an active group that can point you in some local directions. Or, as mentioned above, ask at a local climbing store. But, as with anything, be sure the person doing the instructing knows what they are talking about. That's why I'd recommend a professional first, unless you happen to know someone experienced and trustworthy.

Good luck! Let us know if you do any of these options and how it turns out.

I'm hoping to get some ice climbing in this winter, after a bit of a layoff due to small children.

2:41 p.m. on January 4, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Thanks Alicia & Bill S. I am totally lost of where to even begin this venture and as always I can count on the knowledgeable individuals on this site to point me in the proper direction to achieve this goal I have set for myself.

I agree that hands on with a pro is definitely the route to go and as far as I am concerned the longer the instruction process the better because I want to take full advantage of the instruction and at the same time gain as much pertinent information as possible.

Granted in a perfect world I would have an instructional class down the street but I have no problem travelling. I love going to new places and seeing new things. I have also had some correspondence with the REI here in Pittsburgh and they have suggested a few options.

I will definitely post how things went on the site with the hope that it may help the next person on their future endeavors. Thanks alot everyone for the info. As always it is greatly appreciated and a great help.

11:21 a.m. on January 5, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
685 reviewer rep
3,100 forum posts

Good luck, Rick. Asking around locally, especially at specialty outdoor stores, is always a good idea and may provide some good leads.

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply