Quechua 3 person rain test

3:50 p.m. on January 21, 2010 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

CA was hit by a big rain this week. I was interested to see if my new Quechua 3 man tent was water proof. I setup and got ready in the back yard. After this test I recommend everyone try this. I decide to sleep in the tent to see what it's like in the tent in the rain.
4AM the rain hits hard. I mean really hard. I was super tired after staying up real late so I didn't get to sleep until 12.
The good news is the tent is water proof. It didn't leak at all. Even the build in vestibule didn't leak.
The bad news is sleeping in a tent in the rain is like trying to sleep in a popcorn popper at full blast. I am packing ear plugs for sure from now on.

5:33 p.m. on January 21, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

Ah yes....the ole backyard trial!

You are correct, a good idea.

Tents are like tin roofs huh?

6:16 p.m. on January 21, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

That gave me an idea. If I was to make a fly from a sound deadener such as dynamat... Hmmmm. The gears are turning.....

8:14 p.m. on January 21, 2010 (EST)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

My best friend and I camped at a park in West Virginia a couple years ago and at some point overnight the skies dumped down on us hard. I only slept a handful of minutes on and off after that.

Rick, in addition to sound deadening, I suspect the dynamat would extend the useful season of the tent, and not necessarily in a good way. That stuff is quite an insulator.

11:26 a.m. on January 22, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lol. I know. I will market it as a 1 season tent. WINTER !!! lol.

2:39 p.m. on January 22, 2010 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Along the same lines I have suggested standing in the shower for twenty minutes to test your clothing. Rain is one thing, wind driven precipitation is another. Lots of summer tents rely on low wind and over hanging structures rather than rain tight zip up doors, or are all mesh with a cover over them. Then you you get into the question of whether your rain fly should come all the way to the ground, and whether your tent has a true heavy weight bathtub floor and suddenly the "light weight tents" that were so nice in fine weather don't seem so great in a storm. Many people only camp in nice weather, but if thats what you do, why pay for expensive gear designed to save your butt when it becomes nasty out, you could shop at wallys instead. This is why I carry bombproof items and control my weight by leaving out most of the misc gear that I used to think of as required. You will notice the goretex Bibler tent in my avatar, I use in the summer if there is a chance of bad weather, it only weighs 4 pounds 4 oz with 6 tubular aluminum stakes.

Jim S

4:30 p.m. on January 22, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

Good point...testing your clothes in the shower!

The wind does not follow the law of gravity of course and I learned this the hard way with a tent that had a poor rain fly, it didn't cover the vent at the foot of the tent far enough, so you had to keep the vent zipped in blowing rains, it was hot humid & miserable...just miserable.

I also had a hiking partner named Brian who once tried on a pair of boots that were "waterproof" he walked around a bit in the store then I noticed he was missing. He had gone into the bathroom and stuck the boot, foot and all, in the toilet to make sure it would not leak. No joke.

Brian...only person I've ever known to drink beer for breakfast and then out hike me.

8:11 p.m. on January 22, 2010 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I have not started buying clothing yet. I have a pretty good Athlethech jacket that layers and is made of Polyester and has a Nylon shell and polyester sweater that you can remove. I am not sure it would withstand twenty minutes in the shower but I guess I will find out.

3:26 p.m. on February 8, 2010 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

Both of the used tents passed the water test with flying colors. The smoke smell from one of the tents has passed. I expect they will pass the wind test without trouble also...

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply