Basic Stuff

1:20 a.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hello All,

I have been lurking around the site for a few days now, and just finally am going to ask what I need to know.

Situation:

My Uncle and I are planning on taking 9 days of vacation to head to Rocky Mountain National Park. I have been there twice already. The first time was for half of a day spent driving through, and the second was with a buddy of mine and we did manage to hit the trail for a day. I have grown up hunting around Wisconsin and spend ALOT of time outside. I do alot of day-hikes through our land and the surrounding public land, BUT I never really have spent a whole week hiking in the mountains. We are planning on staying in a hotel, so camping gear is out of the equation. I do want to get a GOOD pair of hiking boots and would like advice on what I should look at and what I should not bother with. I am leaning toward the Asolo FSN 95 GTX. I work in the Paper Industry, in Green Bay, and average about 8 miles every night, 5 days a week wearing steel toed work boots on concrete, so my feet are used and abused already so to speak. Also, if there are any other things (hydro backpack, med kit...) that you more experienced hikers think I should bring, your input is very much appreciated.

Thank You

1:56 a.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

First, I don't know enough about gear to give advice on specific things, I'll leave that to the more experienced ones here. However, I can give some advice on Colorado. Not sure how long you were here on your previous visits but we have a saying here, "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes". It's true, I've seen it go from 70 and sunny to rain to snow in a matter of a few hours. Make sure you are well prepared for those kinds of changes when you head out on the trail. Just something to think about when deciding what to bring with. :)

7:47 a.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,178 forum posts

I went from a pair of midweight Limmers to a pair of Asolo FSN 95s and won't ever look back. It's all I ever use now and I switch from the 95s in the summer to the slightly beefier Fugitives in the winter. There's no break in period like on the Limmers and for me the Asolos are the most comfy boot I've found. Not everyone agrees on this, though.

10:30 a.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

In my mind you just can't go wrong with a pair of Vasque Sundowners.

11:53 a.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

what boots are best is really very subject to personal preferences, so I won't suggest anything there.

But as far as other suggestions, I would say a good day pack, equiped with all your essentials, is a must.

Youve gottan take The Ten Essentials: http://www.trailspace.com/articles/ten-essentials.html

What you bring will depend on the time of year, location, and elevation you are going.

For most day hikes I have everything I need, including all of the "ten" and extra provisions of my own. I carry all of this in a small "camelbak".

4:42 p.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

Remember the altitude. If you are hiking along, especially up hill, you might find yourself panting quite a bit, and probably slowed down. Don't worry, it sounds like your in good shape, but the altitude can slow you down until your body adjusts to it.

10:07 a.m. on February 15, 2010 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

I agree with Gonzan re: the ten essentials. Even on "simple day trips", the Boy Scout motto applies, as I'm sure you know from your other work and recreational experiences.

There are hikes in RMNP which are almost like a walk through Central Park, there are so many people, and others where you are certainly more remote, etc., so even within the park's confines, there isn't one answer to what's "truly necessary", but the "ten" gets the bases covered pretty well.

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply