About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Plus size sleeping bags?

2:39 a.m. on March 16, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi,

I'm looking for some ideas of plus size sleeping bags or brands.

A friend of mine and I recently made a trip to REI to find him a sleeping bag that fits. We tried the two Big Agnes bags they had there, and both were two small. The bag specs said that the chest girth was around 70 in, but his arms wouldn't fit, and although the length said it would fit up to 6'6", his head seemed to barely fit the hood as well (he is 6 feet). I'm thinking we're gonna need something much wider than 70 inches for a comfortable fit.

I was hoping that someone would know of some plus-size sleeping bag brands I could look at that go wider than the Big Agnes brand? I'm also hoping for something that would work for cold camping (10 degrees F or lower), but anything that would fit is worth a look. If possible, I wanna steer clear of ordering a custom bag because it's too expensive, and I'm looking at synthetic bags for now, but down wouldn't be too bad so long as the price was reasonable ($300 max?).

Thanks for any help!

1:09 p.m. on March 16, 2010 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Personally I would suggest a quilt as opposed to a bag. Jacks R Better has a large series of quilts. They are 61x85. I use a modified Springer model that I added more down to on my own and then cut out a large percentage of the bottom part of the quilt to make a sewn footbox.

Just because I ddi this doesn't mean you would have to in order to get a useable item. I am a big guy, 6'3" 250 lbs with large broad shoulders. I found a quilt to be WAY lighter, and more suitable to me as I am a side sleeper.

If you're friend is a large fellow, the Jacks R Better Mt Rogers is a $300.00 quilt, rated 25-30 degrees and will most likely fit him very well. It does however take some getting used to. I would suggest pairing it with Big Agnes Insulated Air Core sleeping pad.

1:36 a.m. on March 18, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

He liked the idea a lot, thanks for the suggestion!

3:51 a.m. on March 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

Wide Sleeping Bags;

A couple of places you can look for wide sleeping bags for Plus Size people. One is Cabelas carries bags with widths of 36", 44" &, 74" and lengths of 88" and 90"! Their "Cabela’s Alaskan Guide Mummy series", "Cabela’s Magnum 44 Sleeping Bag" series or, "Cabela’s Ultimate Adam & Eve series". URL;
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/compchart/comp-chart.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/product/display-hyperlinks-moreinfo.jsp_A&_DAV=false&backLink=/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp%3Fid%3D0078337514042a%26navCount%3D1%26podId%3D0078337%26parentId%3Dcat603887%26masterpathid%3D%26navAction%3Djump%26cmCat%3Dcampsale_2009-email%26catalogCode%3DOG%26rid%3D%26parentType%3Dindex%26indexId%3Dcat603887%26hasJS%3Dtrue%26cmCat%3Dcchart_slp_bgs&chartName=slp_bgs&filterName=current&backTitle=Cabela%27s+3-D%26%238482%3B+Rectangular+Sleeping+Bag&hasJS=true
OR THESE

Coleman -"Big Game", Kelty "Corona 20 Double Sleeping Bag" and Campmor URL; http://www.campmor.com

Good Luck -Adrian

8:53 p.m. on March 29, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Big Agnes also makes a Park Series that claims a 80" shoulder girth. I am 6'03", 265 lbs with a 62" shoulder girth. I currently have a North Face Mammoth 3D long. It's a synthetic bag with Polargard 3D rated at 20'. They dont make it anymore with Polargard but with Climashield. I think they run around 160ish. It fits me but just barely.

I have been on a quest to find a lightweight down bag that fits me for early elk hunting, and may end up doing the quilt thing. Thermarest also makes a couple of quilts and fitted sheets for their pads.

Anyway, good luck and post what your friend does and how it all worked out. Oh the joys of being large.

9:11 p.m. on March 29, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Big Agnes also makes a Park Series that claims a 80" shoulder girth. I am 6'03", 265 lbs with a 62" shoulder girth. I currently have a North Face Mammoth 3D long. It's a synthetic bag with Polargard 3D rated at 20'. They dont make it anymore with Polargard but with Climashield. I think they run around 160ish. It fits me but just barely.

I have been on a quest to find a lightweight down bag that fits me for early elk hunting, and may end up doing the quilt thing. Thermarest also makes a couple of quilts and fitted sheets for their pads.

Anyway, good luck and post what your friend does and how it all worked out. Oh the joys of being large.

7:35 p.m. on March 30, 2010 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,224 forum posts

Did he consider buying two bags that can be zipped together?
Ed

8:54 p.m. on March 30, 2010 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

North Face Goliath is a big bag. It also comes in a long version. I have a hunch that this is what TNF replaced the Mammoth w/the Terry6L9 referred too. Its a big bag to say the least.

Trailspace review:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/the-north-face/goliath/

Here is 1 site that has it. I would look around if interested.

http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/gear-guide/the-north-face-goliath-0-degree-sleeping-bag/

I have seen this bag(my friend is 6'8" and it accomodates him fine. I would get lost in it at 5'11" :) Hope this helps.

April 24, 2014
Quick Reply