About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Broken toes and Sesamoiditis

10:26 p.m. on July 24, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi ! My name is Margaret and I have been very active up until January 2010. I have been diagnosed recently ( in January) with sesamoiditis and I have had my 2nd,3ed,and 4th toes broken accidently about 2 years ago. I was doing O.K. up until January and during a usual Yoga routine, I hurt my foot and have had problems ever since. The one doctor I went to believes all my toes are becoming hammer toes. Can anyone suggest anything to help? Has anyone had a similar problem- what did you do? I have had surgery on my big to in 1980 and swore off any injections or cortisone -- or surgery. It has been getting better little by little but it is such a slow process. Any help or suggestions are very greatly appreciated. Take care, Margaret

8:29 p.m. on July 25, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
5,188 forum posts

Margaret,

Since there are no podiatrists on this website (that I know of), the only advice I can offer is "get thee to a good Sports Medicine Orthopedist". These comments on Foot.com might help. The sports medicine folks have a big interest in getting you back out and active, where other medical types who are not active in sports themselves sometimes just say "time to sit in a rocking chair" or "let me at it with my knife and lots of steroid injections".

4:50 a.m. on July 26, 2010 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,224 forum posts

Both conditions can be caused by high heels. Poor fitting shoes are also indicated. Perhaps you stressed your big toe compensating for the other broken toes. Getting off the affect limb appears part of any treatment.

These are both serious foot conditions, that become harder to treat the longer they are allowed to sustain. Do not go hiking! A flare up will strand you, and you will require a rescue evacuation to get you back to civilization.

Ed

8:32 a.m. on July 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi Bill and Ed ! Hope you both are well ! Thank-you for the suggestions. I think I will seek out a sports medicine person- I agree with you about the attitude. One physician told me to stop my exercise and only exercise in a pool. ( I do love the pool, but you know what I mean.) It does seem to be getting better but if I over do, it does get aggrivated. I just found a sandal, hard as a board on the bottom, that keeps my foot straight and when I wear it, the sesamoiditis calms down a great deal. Now if I could only find a winter shoe like that, I'd be happy. Better yet , a sneaker. Thank-you for all you help. Take care, Margaret

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply