Jacket for Oct. Rockies Trip

8:18 p.m. on July 28, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hey there. I'm relatively new to backpacking/camping again - I haven't done it seriously in years. That said, I'm planning an early Oct trip to the Rockies Nat'l Park with 2 friends.

Looking at typical mid fall weather for Colorado - I know it can fluctuate so much - I'm looking for some different top layers to keep the wind and cold out. I've done some research on various Soft Shells and have seen a lot of debate over whether or not they keep out cold well.

I was wondering if any of you had advice on what road to take. Have you hiked/camped the Rockies in Oct? What would you suggest as a warm top layer, but one not necessarily prepared for 0F weather. I'm not married to the idea of a Soft Shell, I'm just looking for a suitable top layer that will block wind and keep me insulated.

Any assistance would be SO appreciated. I'm looking forward to the trip so much and I want to make sure I've got the right supplies come 9,000 feet!

Thanks!!

8:29 p.m. on July 28, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,312 forum posts

Meg,

Welcome to Trailspace!

Some people like soft shells made with Wind Stopper or WindBlock. Personally, I find they are ok for some conditions, but I prefer either a fleece or non-windblock softshell (Schoeller fabric or similar) with a hardshell over it. I actually gave my last WindStopper to my son who lives in Wisconsin - and he likes it a lot. The problem I find with the wind-blocking soft shells is that they do not breathe well enough for me when exercising hard (like hauling a pack uphill, trying to make it to camp before dark).

In conditions where there is no precipitation, I use a thin wind jacket over the fleece or Schoeller. Or I use a hardshell that has pit zips and a front zipper that is easy to adjust to regulate the ventilation.

You have the right idea with layers - that allows you to add and subtract layers according to the current conditions, so you are warm enough, yet not sweating and getting everything damp, which will chill you later. I would caution you against trying for a single layer that "does it all". That tends to either be too warm or not warm enough.

6:36 p.m. on July 29, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Bill, thanks so much!

I've been doing some more shopping around and I think I'm going to opt for a fleece and a wind jacket. Since it's not as likely that we'll encounter snow - I'm mainly concerned about the wind, which shouldn't be awful - I'm planning ahead for the wind jacket and fleece.

Granted, if we see snow, I've got a good hardshell that I can toss into my pack before heading out to Colorado.

Thanks again for the advice and welcome to Trailspace!

October 22, 2014
Quick Reply