Someone talk to me about belts...

12:32 a.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Do you guys wear a belt with your shorts or pants when you backpack or hike? I'm considering investing in a good leather belt I can rely on in hiking situations but also won't look bad in a casual setting. I'm worried any leather belts from Gap or American Eagle will not last too long with branches and what not rubbing it as I walk. R.E.I. has an alright looking belt but it's not very expensive which makes me wonder about the quality of the leather.

Any thoughts?

1:03 a.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

The belt will take a thrashing from friction under your pack's hip belt, and get sweat stained too. A leather belt will take anything your body and pack can throw at it, but it may not pass your standards for casual goods looks afterward. The real concern is how comfortable will you be while shouldering your pack. Some people don't like wearing a belt while backpacking because it poses a chaffing issue, while other people are not bothered by this.
Ed

1:20 a.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,141 forum posts

I wear one of those woven leather belts on pants/shorts that need it. I like it better than the flat leather ones that have the sizing holes every inch. With this nelt I can adjust thesize at any point along the belt.

9:22 a.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I used to wear a leather belt, but it can get uncomfortable under the lumbar belt strap of the backpack. I just switched over to using a length of webbing with a clip buckle, and I like it much better. It is thin so it doesn't present any chaffing or pressure points, and it is much lighter than a leather belt with a metal buckle.

9:43 a.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

I used to wear a leather belt, but it can get uncomfortable under the lumbar belt strap of the backpack. I just switched over to using a length of webbing with a clip buckle, and I like it much better. It is thin so it doesn't present any chaffing or pressure points, and it is much lighter than a leather belt with a metal buckle.

I also use a webbing strap. :-)

10:04 a.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I use a webbing belt, too. I like the kind that had a friction buckle (the kind that doubles back on itself through itself). Nice and thin and doesn't get in the way under my pack.

11:43 a.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

What do you guys think about this?

http://www.altrec.com/patagonia/tech-web-belt

11:56 a.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

That looks like a nice one. I only spent $2.50 on a replacement strap that came with a clip buckle, though I will probably spend a little more to get a wider one sometime.

2:11 p.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,816 reviewer rep
1,309 forum posts

+1 on the webbing strap w/ buckle

2:51 p.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

Looks like a nice belt, but I hate spending $$ on Patagonia when you can get the same thing from REI for half.

7:59 p.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

No question. This is the ultimate.

http://www.rei.com/product/775439

8:17 p.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Great, but you can make one for half the cost.

8:28 p.m. on August 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

I'm not very handy. I was not the kid who wanted to crack open his computer and see how it works. I find that sort of thing draining. Half the cost in money, but 10 times the cost in time and emotion haha. Good for you though.

9:00 p.m. on August 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

I'm not very handy. I was not the kid who wanted to crack open his computer and see how it works. I find that sort of thing draining. Half the cost in money, but 10 times the cost in time and emotion haha. Good for you though.

Yeah? Your attitude may just change some day........ Knock yourself out and see where life goes.

Peace

10:27 p.m. on August 5, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

Depending on the kind of shorts/pants you get, some will have an integrated belt and they don't get uncomfortable under the hip-belt from your pack. I have a pair of Mountain Hardware convertible (pants that have legs that zip off) and they have a very comfortable integrated belt. It does not get in the way of the pack belt and the inner waist band liner is made of a non-scrunching microfiber that is smooth and also comfortable.

7:53 p.m. on August 6, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

What do you guys think about this?

http://www.altrec.com/patagonia/tech-web-belt

Yeah this is the belt I use. I don't have any problems with it and I now use it for everything.

5:27 p.m. on August 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Just an update I decided to go for a Last Chance by Bison. Looks pretty awesome.

8:37 p.m. on August 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

I wear this belt almost everywhere I can get away with it. Unless I'm out to dinner, or wearing slacks.

Has a bottle opener to boot! lol

http://www.arborwear.com/products/accessories/after-hours-belt

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply