Someone talk to me about glasses...

1:04 p.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Okay so I just posted about a good belt for hiking and that got me thinking about glasses. I personally prefer not to wear contacts when I am "in the wild" because if allergies flare up or it is just not setting in my eye right and is distracting me or if I just plane lose it these are all reasons I try to wear glasses.

Problem: I have trendy, semi-rimless Ray Ban glasses. I like them for school and socializing but they are not something I want to take hiking. With this in mind I thought I should get a back up pair of glasses that are very durable and I don't mind getting a little bent/scratched. This got me thinking though: aren't there special glasses somethings referred to as "sports glasses" that are very durable and designed for active use? I think I really ought to invest in something like that. I saw some Oakley prescription sunglasses that fit the bill but the downside is that in early morning or evening the sun blocking properties would stop you from getting enough light in to your eyes to see well enough.

Anyone have experiences? Ideas? Thanks.

1:13 p.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Something like this looks good.

http://www.oakley.com/pd/4789/15844

Durable, titanium prescription sunglasses that are designed for active use. Doesn't look too dark to make it hard to see in evening though. What do you guys think?

2:14 p.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

I wear contacts but just carry an el cheapo pair of glasses as a backup. Nothing fancy, or "sports wear", just simple metal frame glasses. Bring along a contacts case and a couple of those disposable contact tabs of saline to use.

3:00 p.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Guess I don't do trendy. :-) I tried rimless frames and didn't like them. Guess they are made for people that have desk jobs. I get down and dirty and wallow in the mud. Lenses kept popping out of that fancy fishing line they use to hold the lens in with.

I do function. I'm outdoors all the time and want something that can handle whatever task I have to do. Have some nice light weight metal frames.

I carry two pair of glasses by habit. One pair slightly tinted for the sun and the other pair when sun is not an issue.

7:50 p.m. on August 4, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Makes sense.

4:54 a.m. on August 5, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I vote with Rambler.

I recommend you carry back up contacts, but carry your Raybans as a backup. I have required corrective lenses for forty one years. I wore glasses for the first sixteen years, contacts for the next ten, and have been laser corrected since then. I am more likely to crush or break glasses, than lose a contact lens. I got tired of always contending with dirty glasses obscuring my view, or getting fouled by sweat when I was exercising hard. The only time contacts were a nuisance was during some climbs in Alaska’s high mountains with hurricane force winds and sub zero temperatures. Wearing goggles in these conditions greatly helped minimize problems with contacts, whereas I think glasses would present a fogging issue and require owning a set of prescription goggles to minimize that issue. As for allergies visine always solved that problem for me. Thus I vote to keep the contacts.

But is you insist on glasses, it isn’t necessary to invest in expensive sport eyewear. Regular, cheap, plastic framed glasses or even metal frames that encompass the lenses will be totally suitable. The fact is your glasses are of no greater risk of being damaged on the trail than they are at home. I would take the Raybans and not bother getting second pair. Save your money for other gear.
Ed

7:45 a.m. on August 5, 2010 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I go to a place that gives you an eye exam and 2 pair of glasses for $99. I wear those backpacking where I sleep with them on and everything. Never have had a problem. I do carry a backup pair, but they are tinted for sunglasses.

A backup pair is advisable. I friend of mine was on a trip 2 weeks ago on the AT in Pennsylvania and lost his glasses in a pool of water that was @ least 6' deep and 45 degrees. No one could see them on the bottom and, needless to say, no one wanted to dive in and search for them. Lucky he had people to guide him down and keeps work (safety) glasses in his truck.

10:08 a.m. on August 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

you can get prescription safety glasses that are ANSI Z87 that are very durable and still look somewhat "trendy" I have a pair i wear at work and play, although i would rather wear my contacts i always take extra pair of contacts a case and solution and my glasses just in case. You can also get those prescription safety glasses in a transition lense also so they tint automatically

8:26 p.m. on August 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Hm perhaps I am being over dramatic....I do that sometimes...

10:31 p.m. on August 5, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

Personally, I cannot wear my contacts when I go hiking. The pollen from the forest gets on them and they become unbearable to wear. I just wear my everyday RayBan glasses and they do just fine. They do get fogged sometimes when the humidity is horrendous though.

12:27 p.m. on August 6, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

That is my problem...it's usually more in huge open fields of grass or wheat. It's a nightmare. Everyone thought I had pink eye the next morning. Once news got out I was extremely popular; everyone wanted to spend time with me.

12:31 p.m. on August 6, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Also beyond your breath solidifying on the lenses I've seen it get so cold that guys lenses just pop straight out of the frames. Cold weather glasses might just not be doable. Fortunately when it is that cold allergies aren't a problem. It's also usually a bit slower style of hiking because of being so bundled up which deceases chances of getting dirt kicked into your face, lightly scratching your eye on a branch of partner's hand and unsettling the lens for the rest of the day, etc. etc.

2:58 p.m. on August 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

I think classes are great as long as they meet the needs of the area that you are hiking in....... For insistence, I do not think a class about polar bears would be worthy in a class about hiking in Kentucky

Okay..............

3:19 p.m. on August 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

I'm thinking there's a punch line coming, you lost your glasses, or you don't live in a dry county. :-)

7:17 p.m. on August 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Just did not enjoy my kayak class all that much. being underwater and having your head smack a rock is not fun to me.......

7:20 p.m. on August 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Just did not enjoy my kayak class all that much. being underwater and having your head smack a rock is not fun to me.......

That would make my not fun list also.

2:41 a.m. on August 14, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I'm thinking there's a punch line coming, you lost your glasses, or you don't live in a dry county. :-)

Come on, dad, you should know better than egging Noodle on.
Ed

5:48 p.m. on August 14, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Ed eats butter coated jiffy-pop and drinks cur's beer by the case around the fire.

Ed, You could knock that belly and butt back if you would just cut that out..... Noddles simple weight loss reduction plan for Ed.

8:56 p.m. on August 14, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

I wear contacts backpacking, but take a pair of glasses as a backup, or to put on quickly at night since I don't sleep in my contacts.

I wear the contacts because my vision is better with them than glasses, my peripheral vision is distorted with glasses, everything looks curved at the edges of my field of vision.

I am also very bothered by glare so I wear polarized sunglasses with three sets of lenses for varying light conditions, the same thing in a set of prescription lenses would be very expensive.

Like most things, everyone has to figure out what works best for them.

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply