Quick introduction

8:33 a.m. on November 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Just a little introduction from a new member:

My name is Rob and I am from The Netherlands.

I am a flyfisher and love to fish all over the world but especially like the Rockies.

Just recently in Yellowstone been bitten with the bug for remote locations after hiking in to a remote part of the Yellowstone River.

So my plan is to get to locations in Scandinavia with my RV and then hike to remote rivers. May be later fly across the pond and fish Canada and the USA while doing the same with a rental car. So far only rented a RV and did not tent in your parts of the world.

So far I bought a backpack (110 liter), a Helsport Ringstind 1 and a Exped Swan 800 WB.

Next on the list will be an Exped synmat 7DLX, a Katadyn Pocket and a stove. For the stove I was thinking of a Trangia set with the new multifuel burner.

I still have lots of questions, but I will post them over time.

Rob

9:35 a.m. on November 1, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,024 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Rob.

Your Yellowstone trip sounds fun. I'm glad it was inspiring.

Feel free to post your questions when you're ready. You can also read gear reviews here: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/

10:31 a.m. on November 1, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace!

11:23 a.m. on November 1, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,308 forum posts

Welcome to trailspace! I know you said that you just bought a 110L pack, a general word of advice is to buy all your other gear and then buy a pack to fit it. 110L in a HUGE pack, most people will never need that much room unless they are A)staying out for weeks and weeks at a time with no resupply or B)bringing way to much extra stuff or C) hunting and packing out lots of meat etc.

I use a 78L pack and that leaves me plenty of extra room for all of my fly fishing gear, as well as extra room for the given time of year such as rock climbing gear, or room to pack out meat during hunting season. On Average I only have about 40-50L taken up by actual backpacking gear.

The larger a pack the heavier the pack typically. My pack weighs 5lbs, I would imagine a 110L pack weighs in the range of 7-10lbs depending on what it's made out of. That is alot of weight to be carrying, it all adds up quick! Just food for thought.

11:35 a.m. on November 1, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace....

11:49 a.m. on November 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I know 110L is big, but I like to bring my wader, wadingshoes and wadingjacket without to much compressing those. Was also thinking of an Alaskan/Yukon fishingtrip in a few years, where I need to bring everything myself. So that is why I opted for a big pack. You are dead on with the weight, it is 8 pounds

Thanks for the welcome, this is a great site

8:19 p.m. on November 1, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Welcome Dutchdryfly,

Remote fly fishing is where  'it's at' for me, that often means backpacking off trail a bit in my region, but that's fun for me too.

I wish you well on your adventures!

2:36 p.m. on November 16, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace!!

Tom

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply