BIG THANX! from a new memeber

10:59 p.m. on November 15, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I just felt i needed to giv a great big THANK YOU! to trailspace and all the members.  I dont recall just how i stumbled upon this site but i sure am glad i did!  Ive decided to get into hiking and packing again so started researching gear. I used to do alot of backpacking some 20+ yrs ago when i was young and dumb and maybe i bit nuts. The best piece of equipment i had then was an external fram pack from Kmart, but that was a dramatic improvment over the Kmart sleeping bag hanging from a rope over one shoulder, a small gym bag on arope off the other, and a belt full of army surplus canteens. To think we would head out on 4 day 25 mile trips that way into the Superstions Mtns. in January. I got to admit it was hell at times but sure had alot of good times. Anyhow, Ive been all over here looking at reviews for gear, and advice on how, what and when to purchase that gear. Looks like I had some good dumb luck and hav waited to buy my pack till i got properly fitted and tried some on first. Already purchased a bag and pad looking to get tent and stove next, but  im getn real exited (i mean like a little kid before Xmas) about heading to the gear shop tomorrow and giving a good hard look at packs. Thanks to all the advice here, u can bet Ill be bringing what gear Ive got with me to make sure it fits. Once again THANK YOU to all

3:09 a.m. on November 16, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

Glad we could be of service, if you have any specific questions about gear your looking at purchasing feel free to ask away.

1:46 p.m. on November 16, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
670 reviewer rep
3,092 forum posts

You're welcome! I'm glad the site has been useful to you so far. Keep on asking questions or adding your own comments to the discussions.

Let us know how your hikes and backpacks go and how the gear works out.

Have fun!

6:02 p.m. on November 16, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,493 forum posts

Good deal azrhino!

Please let us know how things go tomorrow.

Do you have any hiking areas picked out yet?

6:30 p.m. on November 16, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

AZRHINO,

I've experienced the same thing and this community keeps me from becoming an office robot. A wonderful group of people as well (The goodness starts at the top and trickles down to the rest of us). Good luck at the shop tomorrow. Keep the questions and dialogue going!

4:54 a.m. on November 17, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

WOW! That was fun (I think) Went to gear shop today called the Hiking Shack,  talk about a kid in a candy store, they got everything and then some! Was nice to be in a store where they specialize in that stuff rather than the big sporting goods stores. The sales folks were awsome! I told my situation and what I had in mind then they guided me towards what might work best for me, helped with a dozen or two questions i had, and gave some good helpful advice. TWAS A GOOD DAY. They seem to sell only higher end packs, like Osprey and Deuter which are a bit more $$ then i originally wanted to spend but after trying on a few i think it will be worth it. grant it I havnt tried on any of the cheaper ones but I was blown away with the fit and the ability to more or less custome fit the pack. Im a fairly big guy, 6'2" 230 lbs. so they will put on the right size straps and belt to fit me best rather then the one size fits all lesser packs. To make a long story short (prob to late for that)  I think Im gonna go with the Osprey Aether 60. Also returning my synthetic bag and ordered a new down bag, once again a bit more $$ but i think it will be worth it, besides the syn bag wasnt gonna fit inside anything no matter how much i tried to compress it!  As for right now Ive just been doing some day hiking near home in the South Mountains trying to get back in some kinda shape but hope to soon head back into the Superstions Mtns.  The deserts are no fun in the summer but they're awsome this time of year. The plan is a nice EZ one nighter trip on the First Water trail to shake down all the new gear, and dust off some of the old gear such as myself. Then hopefully maybe sometime in Jan. do a 3 or 4 dayer  on the Revis Ranch trail  

7:37 a.m. on November 17, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

A true outfitter, not like a big sporting goods store is always fun to visit. I can't speak for all stores, but some places will try and steer you towards the higher end stuff because they will make more $. Just evaluate a decision before you make a final purchase, compare your opions for each piece of gear.

The Osprey Aether series of packs are awesome packs, If you can spend the money I would highly recommend one. I will get one at some point, I just don't have they money now to do so. I currently use a Kelty Coyote 4750 pack, one that might be considered a "lesser pack" which cost me around 100$ on sale. I am very happy with the pack, it's comfortable, durable, and fully adjustable just like the higher end packs.

I also use a down bag, I much prefer down to synthetic. What down bag are you looking at getting? We might be able to give you some pointers if you can tell us what bag your looking at, and what time of year/conditions you think you would head out in. For starters ad a general rule of thumb, 800 fill down is near the top end(think 900is the highest which is kinda rare to see) and 600 is towards the low end. The fill directly corresponds to how much the bag will compress down, as well as the actual weight of the bag. The higher the fill raring the better the down to warm ratio. Are you looking for a bag you can "make do" with all year round, or are you looking for a purely 3 season bag? I use an 850 fill down 15 degree bag and it compresses down to about the size of a grapefruit most of the year, and for the summer I just use an old lightweight synthetic fill quilt from my military days.

8:54 a.m. on November 17, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I sure appreciate the input, THX. Kelty coyote 4750 is one of the packs i been looking at on line anyhow,  another one was the Jansport Klamath 68. Aint had a chance to check em out in person yet. Big $$ dif then the Osprey for sure. I dont hav big budget either, thats why Im gonna try and take my time before making my finally choice. Im a terrible impulse buyer LOL. Guess its like buying a car,  when at the dealer that expensive  fancey smanshy model with all the bells and whistles sure is tuff to resist, but if i just go home and realy think about it, what i realy need and can afford is the basic transportation to do the job at hand.  The bag i got is a down Marmot 15 degree with 600 fill in the long xtra wide. Got the wide for a bit more room cuz Im not a big fan of mummy bags but got to save wieght and size somewhere. I think it will do me fine most of the year where i plan on going. And Im about the same for summer camp, got a nice fleece blanket that does me fine

11:54 p.m. on December 8, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Well I went with the Kelty Coyote 4750. Went out on a few quik walks around the local Mntn. park with it loaded to get the feel of it, and adjusted. Just got back from an overniter with 40 lbs. in it, took most of the first day to fine tune it but after that was very happy with it! I think Im gonna get many happy trails with it! 

9:06 a.m. on December 9, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

I have the 4750.  Use it when I want to carry a few more items than my much lighter Osprey Exos 46 will handle comfortably.

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply