Introduction for Shawn

3:56 p.m. on February 9, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I'm a member of another forum that requires its' members to post an introduction, so I'm posting one here, because it only seems right.

I'm in the United States Air Force, stationed at Lackland AFB, in San Antonio, TX.  I've been in for nearly 8 years and I've been stationed at Keesler AFB, MS - Ft. Meade, MD - Osan AB, S. Korea - Vandenberg AFB, CA - Lackland AFB, TX.  I also deployed to Camp Lemonier, Djibouti back in 2006.

I've always enjoyed camping and being outdoors, but with an extremely busy work schedule over the past few years, I haven't been able to get out very much here in Texas.  I've decided that I want to start hiking, though I've never done it before.  I've been doing tons of research from this site and a few others and I think I'm as ready as I will be without actually getting out there and doing it.

We've taken a few day-hikes at Government Canyon State National Area, but haven't hiked it with our packs yet.  Next month, we're planning on hiking and camping in Enchanted Rock State National Area.

I'm by no means a gear-head and I know the gear you take with you won't automatically make you an expert.  Regardless, I think I have made some good purchases in the right direction for a beginner:  Deuter Men's ACT Zero 60+10 Pack, Optimus Terra Cookset, Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter, Eureka! Copper River 30 (heavier than what I expected), Eureka! Solitaire, a PocketRocket stove, and some basic fire starting materials. 

I appreciate this site and I've learned a lot from reading gear reviews and through the forum.  I hope I can continue to learn from the veterans here and eventually post some of my own experiences.  Thanks!

4:11 p.m. on February 9, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

Welcome aboard Shawn!! I am actually a UT Grad and have hiked Enchanted Rock and Climbed it as well...I am sure I can give you some pointers there..Glad you decided to pick up backpacking and hiking...Just wanted to welcome you first and then you can ask any questions you have...

4:22 p.m. on February 9, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Shawn!

5:20 p.m. on February 9, 2011 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

Welcome Shawn!

Cool gear BTW. Hiking like all sports has become a gear heads dream. While gear is good knowledge is king. Anyway welcome to the forums.

BTW my son just made 2nd lieutenant in Civil Air Patrol.

Cheers

6:13 p.m. on February 9, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Welcome Shawn, glad to have you here on Trailspace!

Given the fact that you are doing your own research / learning before heading out tells me you will probably do just fine. Of course the learning never stops really, I learn something new about hiking & camping just about every day.

I look forward to hearing about your trip.

8:26 p.m. on February 9, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Welcome to trailsace!

I know I have learned alot here. Yet still blaze my own path. The learning experience is a two way street.

9:07 p.m. on February 9, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks for the welcome!  I appreciate it.

11:23 p.m. on February 9, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

Shawn here's a free website for Texas.I dont know of you know www.tpwd.com this is a free site texas Parks and wildlife has...Also here's a website for a rafting and tubeing place in New Braunfel's..Have you been there? www.Rockinr.com they have camping along the river and its great during the summer..I use to ditch one day a week during summer session and raft..   Also for personal question to you..Is that Rib Shack still open in Glen Bierny Maryland by FT Meade?  And do you remember the name by chance? LOL A relative of Mine who worked at Meade asked...

11:46 p.m. on February 10, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Welcome Shawn!

Thank you for your service. We're glad to have you on and look forward to hearing of your adventures, as well as reviews of your own! Great gear list too.

7:04 a.m. on February 11, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,297 forum posts

Welcome to trailspace Shawn! It is a great community with lots of knowledge to be had.

Looks like you have a good start on your gear, be sure to ask if you have any questions.

I found that with busy work schedules you have to make time to do things you enjoy. Free time is priceless, don't let little pidly things keep you from doing what you want to do. You can do anything you want because you have all the time in the world, you just have to MAKE the time.

Thanks for your Service also, I spent about 8 years in the Navy myself.

1:03 a.m. on February 12, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace.

Wished I could tell you more about the San Antonio area, but I was stationed out in Fort Bliss when I was there.

One good thing, at least you aren't talking about taking that AF issue stuff out there. You'll be a lot more comfortable. Sounds like you have a pretty good base to start with.

Uhmmm, let me do say one thing as I went back and reviewed. What type of clothing are you getting? You're not going hiking in that ripstock are you?

U.S. Army veteran here. Served in 3rd Ranger Batt., Fort Benning, Ga., 7th Ranger Training Batt., Fort Bliss, Texas and 5th Ranger Training Battalion, Dahlonegha, Ga.

12:50 p.m. on February 12, 2011 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Shawn if you ever get stationed in Germany (Kaiserslautern Area) I could help you find awesome hiking trails and camp sites. Just leave a thread on this sight. Also, Ramstein AFB's outdoor recreation takes awesome climbing, hiking, and white water trips throughout Europe. I hope you enjoy the hiking experience. Oh, my father is working at your base. I really enjoyed visiting the area.  

8:32 p.m. on February 12, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Shawn here's a free website for Texas.I dont know of you know www.tpwd.com this is a free site texas Parks and wildlife has...Also here's a website for a rafting and tubeing place in New Braunfel's..Have you been there? www.Rockinr.com they have camping along the river and its great during the summer..I use to ditch one day a week during summer session and raft..   Also for personal question to you..Is that Rib Shack still open in Glen Bierny Maryland by FT Meade?  And do you remember the name by chance? LOL A relative of Mine who worked at Meade asked...

Sorry, I haven't been up to Ft. Meade in since 04.  When I was there, I was in school so I didn't get out all too much.

Welcome to Trailspace.

Wished I could tell you more about the San Antonio area, but I was stationed out in Fort Bliss when I was there.

One good thing, at least you aren't talking about taking that AF issue stuff out there. You'll be a lot more comfortable. Sounds like you have a pretty good base to start with.

Uhmmm, let me do say one thing as I went back and reviewed. What type of clothing are you getting? You're not going hiking in that ripstock are you?

U.S. Army veteran here. Served in 3rd Ranger Batt., Fort Benning, Ga., 7th Ranger Training Batt., Fort Bliss, Texas and 5th Ranger Training Battalion, Dahlonegha, Ga.

Yea, I looked at a lot of the military issue stuff on other websites and it was far out of my budget and needs.  I'm not sure what I'll be wearing when I go out.  I was thinking just some decent boots and some light-weight pants, and t-shirt with a light jacket, depending on the weather.

I take it you were a Ranger?  When were you in?  I love to talk offline sometime.

Shawn if you ever get stationed in Germany (Kaiserslautern Area) I could help you find awesome hiking trails and camp sites. Just leave a thread on this sight. Also, Ramstein AFB's outdoor recreation takes awesome climbing, hiking, and white water trips throughout Europe. I hope you enjoy the hiking experience. Oh, my father is working at your base. I really enjoyed visiting the area.  

We're hoping to get over to Germany after San Antonio.  We visited Ramstein AB last year and had a great time over there.  What's your father do out here?

9:22 a.m. on February 13, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

Shawn I think I know what your MOS is then! if you need any contacts just send me an email.I have plenty of friends who can give you good spots....I have 2 friends in Austin that are on a Nationnal Search and Rescue team..

When you get some experiance and feel comfortable.I suggest Big Bend,just don't go during spring break..You will have a blast. Buy the way I know your base also...My brother is a retired 06 and was TDY there for a bit...I am Army veteran..

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply