About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Hello from TonyB

5:41 a.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

I have been reading and enjoying Trailspace for a few years and thought it about time to join and hopefully I can make some contributions.

I am 56yo male and I live in Canberra Australia, I have a machinist/engineering background and I am a senior technician in a research laboratory at a University. I have been bushwalking on and off for around 35 years, but most of my bushwalking has been in the last ten years. I usually do 2-3 day bushwalks/snowshoe/fly fishing trips with a freind in the alpine areas of Australia.

I consider myself a bit of a student of bushwalking/backpacking gear, I spend a lot of my spare time surfing the net looking and reading up about the latest gear and looking at the technical aspects of gear. I also like to do a bit of my own research and development, mainly into backpacking stoves, I have built myself some scientific type instruments to accurately measure stove performance and to try and understand stove design, I will talk more about my stove test instruments and test results in later posts.

I practice lightweight bushwalking and since I have reduced my gear weight, my enjoyment of bushwalking has gone up. Over the last few years I have built up enough gear that I can have several combinations of LW gear to suit conditions. Some of my gear collection listed below.

Packs:- Golite Ion, Golite Jam2 and Lightwave Ultrahike.

Tent:- Zpacks Hexamid, Mountain Designs Nutrino 1, Tarptent Contrail and yet to be used Moment.

Sleeping Bag:- Western Mountaineering Summerlite, BPL 180 quilt, Fairydown Superlite.

Sleeping mat:- MSR Neoair, MSR Prolite 4, MSR Prolite3

Rainwear:- Macpac Traverse eVENT jacket, Jet stream Reflex pants.

Stoves:- Kovea Supalite, Coleman Extreme and MYOG remote canister stove. (and many many more)

Cooking Pots:- Cheap aluminium 1liter and 1.5 liter pots. (and lots more)

Head lamp:- Petzl e+lite and Tikka2

Tony

8:00 a.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

Welcome to trailspace  Tony.

I look forward to you shareing your knowledge of UL with us and your outdoor experiance in Australia. And  I am interested in your stove measurement instruments you buillt or use.Thats the enigneer in me.

10:47 a.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Welcome to TrailSpace, Tony!

I am interested to hear about your stove testing ideas and designs as well.

4:36 a.m. on February 20, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Hi Denis and gonzan,

Thanks for the welcome.

I will post some of my trip reports, stove test results, my stove designs and my stove testing equipment over the next few weeks.

Tony

6:50 a.m. on February 20, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Welcome to trailspace. I'll be interested in trip reports from Australia as well.

Ever done any trekking in New Zealand? One of my dream trips.

9:01 a.m. on February 20, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Welcome Tony,

Please feel free to share your trips, stoves, or anything else!

10:36 a.m. on February 20, 2011 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

Welcome Tony,

Very much looking forward to your trip reports from Australia. Australia and New Zealand are on our bucket list.

1:59 p.m. on February 20, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Welcome Tony,

Please feel free to share your trips, stoves, or anything else!

Hi Trouthunter,

Thanks for your welcome, I think you might enjoy some of my trip reports, in the warmer months I combine bushwalking with a bit of flyfishing. In the next few days I will writeup my about my bushwalking/flyfishing trip that I did last weekend.

Tony

2:07 p.m. on February 20, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Hi Rocklion and BigSmoke,

Thanks for your welcome,

I have some tramping in New Zealand, the first time in 1975, the highlight was a weeks tramping on Stewart Island, more recently about five years ago I spent 10 days tramping and flyfishing the North Island, finishing off with doing one of the great day trips Tongariro Crossing, I will post a trip report on the Tongariro soon.

I do have some plans in the pipeline to do some tramping in the South Island soon (in the next 1-3 years).

Tony

8:28 a.m. on February 21, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Tony!

It's always great to hear from experienced outdoorspeople like you. Some day, if I'm lucky, I'll get down to your part of the world.

3:56 p.m. on February 21, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Tony!

It's always great to hear from experienced outdoorspeople like you. Some day, if I'm lucky, I'll get down to your part of the world.

Hi Alicia,

Thanks for the welcome, you and all others on Trailspace would be most welcome to visit Australia, from what I read the bushwalking over here is a bit different to a lot of the backpacking in the US, our trail system is not as developed as yours but when we have a population of only 22 million in a country about the size of your lower 48 you can understand why. Most of Australia is arid desert.

A lot of our walking is off track, most is not that difficult but some that I do can be 3 kilometers (2 miles) in 4 hours, in some parts of Tasmania it can be even more challenging as one can travel as little as 500 meters (550 yards) in a day.

Like you wanting to visit down under, I would love to do some backpacking in the US, I would like to do some or all of the AT and PCT but I would especially like to backpack in the North West volcanic areas.

Tony

6:45 p.m. on February 21, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

Hi Alicia,

Thanks for the welcome, you and all others on Trailspace would be most welcome to visit Australia, from what I read the bushwalking over here is a bit different to a lot of the backpacking in the US, our trail system is not as developed as yours but when we have a population of only 22 million in a country about the size of your lower 48 you can understand why. Most of Australia is arid desert.

A lot of our walking is off track, most is not that difficult but some that I do can be 3 kilometers (2 miles) in 4 hours, in some parts of Tasmania it can be even more challenging as one can travel as little as 500 meters (550 yards) in a day.

Like you wanting to visit down under, I would love to do some backpacking in the US, I would like to do some or all of the AT and PCT but I would especially like to backpack in the North West volcanic areas.

Tony

Ah...so many places I'd like to explore. I expect Australia and/or New Zealand will happen in my lifetime, but I'm not sure when.

Of course, there are so many different types of places to explore right here in the U.S. and then Canada, that given enough free time I'd have no cause to leave.

8:45 p.m. on February 21, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Ah...so many places I'd like to explore. I expect Australia and/or New Zealand will happen in my lifetime, but I'm not sure when.

Of course, there are so many different types of places to explore right here in the U.S. and then Canada, that given enough free time I'd have no cause to leave.

Hi Alicia,

I am in the same predicament, in my local area alone after many years walking I have barely scratched the surface when it come to exploring.

last week I went to a talk at my bushwalking club meeting and the speaker was talking about a walk he did last year in a remote area of North West Western Australia and he think they might be the first Europeans to have explored that particular area.

Tony

10:57 a.m. on February 22, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

last week I went to a talk at my bushwalking club meeting and the speaker was talking about a walk he did last year in a remote area of North West Western Australia and he think they might be the first Europeans to have explored that particular area.

Tony

That's impressive!

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply