About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Greetings from Afghanistan

7:12 a.m. on March 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

To start off i want to say how great of a site Trailspace is. What a pleasure it was to stumlbe into this website. Im mad that it took this long to find such a friendly and informative place. From what i have seen and read so far i am looking forward to being a member on here, i think it will help me greatly in my outdoor adventures. I have needed a place where i could consult with people about...well just about anything with to do with the outdoors, epecially relating to backpacking/hiking. Currently i am a little ways away from where my dreams and mind are most of the day. Im a United States Infantry Marine currently deployed for my second tour to Afghanistan. So the only kind of hiking and backpacking in my near future are in the sandy flat lands of southern Afghanistan :)  So until i get back my home in New England i will be just daydreaming, until i can actually set foot to trail in beautiful America. I look forward to spending many hours of my rest time on here in this little tent reading and learning everything you all post up here. So please keep up the spirit and adventure on here and share your awesome experiences and memories. From your new member and biggest fan in Afghanistan-  Manny

9:17 a.m. on March 20, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,046 forum posts

Welcome to trailspace Manny! I think your location as well as your desire to learn more has inspired me as well. I just returned to backpacking and hiking and the members were the ones pointing me in all the right directions..The best part manny you don't have to carry a 45-80pd ruck when you backpack...You being from New England will have an oppertunity to see some of the most awesome area's..I am going thru there in the coming months along the Apalachian trail and will be leaving trip reports on here...Stay safe on your mission and thank you for what you do...

12:47 p.m. on March 20, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace Manny, and thank you for your service in the USMC.

Sometimes in life you can't do the things you want to do, sometimes you must wait, but in the meantime you can study and learn. Doing that will put you way ahead when the times comes. Of course you seem to already understand that and I appreciate your viewpoint.

I too have things on the back burner and am spending my time learning.

I would love to see some photos of your tent, location, etc. if the situation allows.

12:57 p.m. on March 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Manny, first and foremost welcome to Trailspace. You will most certainly find a plethora of useful advice here on the site. Gear reviews are also great because it can save you some major headaches(noone wants to be let down by a product just to buy something else.) There are alot( and I mean alot) of knowledgeable individuals here that are more than willing to give insight to any questions ya may have. The information that I have received in the past from Trailspace has been spot on and never let me down. I am sure you will find the info and conversation here quite beneficial to say the least.

On a side note I want to say thank you for the services you are providing to this country. I commend you for the sacrifices you have made to keep our country and its people safe.

2:26 p.m. on March 20, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace Manny, was surprised at first to see a post from someone in Afghanistan,t hinking wowsomeone there has become a member of our group. Then when I saw your picture I realised the truth. Great to have you aboard.

Whats it like over there besides the peace keeping/fighting? What is the countryside like? Can you share any pictures of the wilds?

5:18 p.m. on March 20, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Manny! We're glad you found us. And it's always nice to have a fellow New Englander around.

Feel free to jump in with any questions or comments in the forums, and share with us your current experiences and outdoor plans for the future.

Welcome again, and stay safe.

9:37 a.m. on March 21, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Welcome to Trailpace, Manny. I was extremely glad to find this community as well- Trailspace truly stands out as having a knowledgeable, helpful, and courteous group of active members.  

10:09 a.m. on March 21, 2011 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

OOOORAH..

HM2.. Former

Its a cool spot, Gives a good sitrep of what's in store when you get back.. Be safe

Jeff

5:18 a.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hey all,

I wanted to say thanks for all the warm welcomes. It goes without showing that i was right about my first assumption of this site. Im excited to learn and explore all the more now, you all motivated me that much more. I apologize for the delayed response, it gets a lil busy over here to say the least so here i am finally. Anyway thanks again and im proud to be serving over here for a country that i truley love.

also greattings to Jeff the old corpsman floating around here

Ill post some pics later tonight of the area and what our living areas look like if anyone is interested

Take care

Manny

7:27 a.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Just take care of yourself, come back safe and we can start talking to you about some trips you plan on taking in those great New England mountains.

Welcome to Trailspace.

9:43 a.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
195 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

Welcome Manny!  I was a "combat clarinetist" with the USAF Band between 1969 to 1973, so if you are ever standing on a flight line for a pass-in-review ceremony and you march in front of a military band, think of me.  Denis daly said that you won't have to carry an 80 lb pack when you get back but I could change this, and have you outfitted with 80 lbs easy and you'll feel right at home again:-)

12:35 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Again thanks for the warm welcome  :) AS for you Walter im gonna have to pass on getting outfitted with 80lbs when i get back, i have had my fair share of stuff i have been lugging around the past 3 years. Im pretty sure ive lost a inch or so off my height due to it. So please dont feel offended that im not in any hury to get right back into it when i get home :) Ultra-light all the way for me ha. If i ever find myself around a "combat clarinetist" then i will surely think of you Walter, but i dont forsee that happening anytime soon. Yes Rocklion you are right to take care of myself, which i do. Being on here talking to you fine folks back home is relaxing so trust me im good :) Thanks again everyone

manny

1:48 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,046 forum posts

Again thanks for the warm welcome  :) AS for you Walter im gonna have to pass on getting outfitted with 80lbs when i get back, i have had my fair share of stuff i have been lugging around the past 3 years. Im pretty sure ive lost a inch or so off my height due to it. So please dont feel offended that im not in any hury to get right back into it when i get home :) Ultra-light all the way for me ha. If i ever find myself around a "combat clarinetist" then i will surely think of you Walter, but i dont forsee that happening anytime soon. Yes Rocklion you are right to take care of myself, which i do. Being on here talking to you fine folks back home is relaxing so trust me im good :) Thanks again everyone

manny

Manny I take it you realize that TA50 gear weighs an arm and a legg and you arn't useing half? Thats what I realized when I was in..you could ask any questions you would like if it keeps you occupied and you could pick people's brains..I look foward to your pic's...Oh Tipi to be honest jokes about his gear weighing so much but he is well regarded on  another forum by ultra light backpackers because he does so much backpacking. I know on one forum a  particluar hiker who wrote the Guide for BMT trail that has hiked with tippi and regards him in high regards..Just don't tell tipi I told you..He's very humble...All the members on here are peers as well as mentors to me...Keep safe Devil Dog...

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply