nylon zip off pants w/6" short inseam

11:22 a.m. on June 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Every pair of nylon zip off pants I have are too long when I convert them to shorts; 8-10" inseam.  That's just a little too long for me with respect to maximum mobility.  Ideally I would like to have a short inseam no longer than 6".  I require a 34" inseam in the long pants (I might possibly go with a 32").  If any of you folks can direct me to a brand that meets my specifications I would appreciate it very much.  I'm having no luck in my searches.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.

5:49 p.m. on June 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Your out of luck.   I have encountered the same dilemma.

In general, "shorts" are no longer short.   The "fashion dictates" (probably started by Michael Jordan, when he sorta 'pioneered' the ridiculously long basketball uniform 'shorts') have decreed that 'shorts' be 'long', now.   They're waaaaay tooooo baggy, also.   Leg-openings are large enough for elephant legs.

Go figure ....

I can't stand them, either.   Also, "relaxed fit" jeans.   Thank goodness I saved my old (real) shorts and Wranglers  (I hate the way Levi's fit).  They still fit me.

~r2~

6:18 p.m. on June 9, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Campmor 2+1 travel pants.Their convertible with a short with 7 inch inseam.probably close as it gets short wise.

6:28 p.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,426 reviewer rep
1,233 forum posts

I beg you, please wear the longer shorts! I dont want to see the "baby birds" peeking out! Maybe capris are a bit long but jogging-length shorts always make me cringe.  Just my two cents.

9:02 p.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

If you know someone who sews it shouldn't be overly compicated to fold up the desired length and sew a seam around each leg.  It takes alittle time but should be a easy task.  As long as the pant leg starts out more than a few in two long you should be just fine.  I know that all the pairs I own, about eight, are two or three inches longer than I really need.

1:21 p.m. on June 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

I beg you, please wear the longer shorts! I dont want to see the "baby birds" peeking out! Maybe capris are a bit long but jogging-length shorts always make me cringe.  Just my two cents.

You can relax.   I don't hike in Washington so you have nothing to worry about.

9:08 a.m. on June 17, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,426 reviewer rep
1,233 forum posts

Appreciated. Now maybe the nightmares will go away.

11:17 a.m. on June 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

One of my girlfriends hikes in runner's shorts ...  those  real short, light Nylon ones, with the front and back panels overlapping at the sides.   She has great legs and butt.   I 'allow' her to hike 'point'.

Great 'eye-candy'.

~r2~

6:31 p.m. on June 17, 2011 (EDT)
40 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

You could always wear a kilt :-)  I find hiking in a skirt (I am female) more comfortable and airy than shorts anyway.

3:13 a.m. on June 19, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Get a pair of Birdwell surf shorts. Hard to find, but they are almost indestructible, short and dry out in a few minutes, even if soaked. You can find them online.

10:39 a.m. on June 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

masondi said:

You could always wear a kilt :-)  I find hiking in a skirt (I am female) more comfortable and airy than shorts anyway.

Go here:  www.utilikilts.com

For work, hiking, casual, etc.   Like "Carhartt's".   They start at $200.

I know a guy that wears these regularly, in a shop.

~r2~

10:47 a.m. on June 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Tom D said:

Get a pair of Birdwell surf shorts. Hard to find, but they are almost indestructible, short and dry out in a few minutes, even if soaked. You can find them online.

YEAH !!

Forgot about those !

Had several pairs (I am a surfer).   Former girlfriend LOVED 'EM.  Seems as though they "disappeared" when we split.  She did have the cutest butt I have ever encountered; and, looked waaaaay better in them than I did.

The fabric ... if I recall ... WAS very tough.   Heavy-denier Nylon, I believe.   Almost like today's CORDURA.

~r2~

5:44 p.m. on June 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

masondi said:

Go here:  www.utilikilts.com

For work, hiking, casual, etc.   Like "Carhartt's".   They start at $200.

I know a guy that wears these regularly, in a shop.

~r2~

I own three utilikilts and as they are wonderful for day hikes, not so much for backpacking.  My heavier ones are actually hotter than pants or shorts on hot days.  They weigh alot due to the thickness and the large amount of  material used.  As they have a very limited use as they are only good for fair weather conditions (I know, tell that to a Scotsman).  Whatda do when it gets cold.  I have heard the skeeter's talking about the fact that they love guys in kilts, "whoo hooo", as one skeeter was heard saying "it's a blood bath when the utilikilts guys come thru".  Actually a much better is a choice is a sarong.  It's quite funny to have all the other guy's laughing at you when your wearing a sarong until it's 90 deg and their all swetting like pig's.  And just ask the Samoans and the Polynesians, those boys in the tropics know where it's at as far a comfort.   Mine compresses into the size of a baseball and weighs only a few oz.  Utililikilts weigh in at 2-4lbs.  Anorther bonus to using a sarong is when nature comes calling it's much, and I mean much, easier to take care of bussiness (with a kilt or sarong) on rather than a pair of pants or shorts.  The girls seem to like it when the guys are wearing them as well, for some strange reason ;-}> .  Oh yea utilikilts start at $200, sarongs start at $9 for the guy's versions.  The guy's surongs use much less fabric than the woman's versions as there is less area to cover.

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply