Looking for hiking shoes

11:23 a.m. on July 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Hi,

I'm trying to find some quality hiking shoes for under $50. Is this ever possible?

[commercial content removed]

Anyone have any idea what I should be looking for in a basic shoe?

Thanks.

Dylan.

1:48 p.m. on July 8, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

Stability: be sure to buy a boot/shoe that stabilizes your foot

Size: Buy a shoe at least 1/2 bigger than what you normally wear in a street shoe. Test it by putting one - two fingers behind your heel when buying the boot in person.

Durablilty: Ask about the soles warrenty for wear, Vibram soles last a good amount of time.

How much weight will you carry on a normal hiking trip.

2:55 p.m. on July 8, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Dylan T, welcome to Trailspace,

I will make a few more suggestions before this goes any further.

Try whatever shoes you are interested in after being on your feet for the day. Typically in the evening is the best time to do this. This will give you the ability to compensate for your feet swelling from being on them which they will.

Also try them on with whatever socks you plan on wearing when you actually are on the trail. If you are planning on utilizing aftermarket insoles in the boot/shoe take them with you and put them in when you try them on.

All of the above factors can alter the fit of a boot/shoe that felt great in the store to the point that after a day on the trail with a pack your feet will basically be hamburger.

Being midway on a trail in the middle of nowhere with jacked up feet can be a bad situation.

What type of hiking are you doing? Are you on well maintained trails, rocks, off-trail, blah blah blah.

As far as your price mark there are deals out there but this solely depends on what your needs are in footwear. Are you carrying a pack? If so what kind of weight are we talking?

9:58 p.m. on July 8, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Probably not.

7:40 a.m. on July 9, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

welcome dylan...

I have to say my brother buy's items from sportsman's for bushcraft so I know the site. Gary as well as Rick hit the nail on the head with stability, terrain, Pack weight...What are you planning on useing them for? Shoe's like this are generally made for short interval hikeing, 2-3 days on meduim grade trails. They are like trail runners to be honest. I understand the budget side as well..Honestly like Rick say's if you hold that cash and keep searching you will find a better deal in time. But if they are what you can use presently for what you need. Then purchase them and save for the better pair when you can purchase a more multi terrain shoe...Thats my 2 cents to you..I also dont understand the insert dial system they have for the heel. That kind of makes me real hessitant..

12:35 p.m. on July 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. Socks! Who knew?!

10:17 a.m. on July 12, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

If you are not in a hurry and you research what you think you want, Steep and Cheap can really be a good deal. But you have to be right on top of it and know what you are looking for as well as be willing to wait.

12:59 p.m. on July 12, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

Dylan:

I have only a few holy grails when it comes to equipment.  One of them is don't sacrifice performance for economy on these key equipment items - sleeping bags, packs, and boots.  Good boots may not make your trip, but bad boots will always ruin it.  This is an item you usually get what you pay for.  IMO $50 for a good boot is a pipe dream. 

Also, search this site to learn how to select a boot.  What works for me may not work for you, so our brand recommendations should be taken with a pinch of salt.  Take the time and spend the money to get what works for you.

Ed

8:16 p.m. on July 12, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

It is actually fairly easy to get good decent quality hiking shoes for under 50$. Keep an eye on steapandcheap.com, and you can also check end of season sales at places like rei and ems, and also the rei outlet sometimes has great deals.

Last fall for example I got a pair of vasque breeze trail runners for 27$ at REI outlet. Are they the best? no. But are they comfortable and provide good support and traction? yes. So far they have about 300 miles on them and are holding up like new. In fact I am not a trail runner convert except for shoulder seasons and winter.

Your footwear doesnt have to cost 150+ to make it good. Do your research, look at reviews and you can find good deals. Another place you can check for great deals on winter footwear is cabelas or bass pro, specifically cabelas. Their house brand and columbia make very decent quality winter boots.(insulated)

Best of luck in your search.

3:35 p.m. on July 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Thanks. What I learned: spend money on good equipment. Good advice.

3:50 p.m. on July 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

$50?

As my buddies in Brooklyn would tell you:  "Fuggeddabouddit"!

~r2~

7:58 p.m. on July 23, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
8:37 p.m. on July 23, 2011 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,176 forum posts

Might as well chime in on this one, too.  For decades I was dirt poor and living out of a pack and went thru a wide variety of boots, even backpacked in a pair of pure white Nike things from the '70's?

nike-vintage-main.jpg

http://swipelife.com/2009/04/27/nike-tennis-classic-vintage-sneakers/

I found them in my Dad's closet and used them for several backpacking trips cuz I had nothing else at the time.

I hate saying this, but when money was tight I often went to Walmart to get my "hiking boots".  Cheap, unstable, discarded.  Pronation.  Yes, one pair of boots threw off my ankles and I ended up hiking on the sides of my feet.  Pieces O' Crap.  But if I had to get a quick emergency pair of boots for little money for backpacking, I'd go either to china mart or possibly a second hand store.  Tough feet can wear anything for a while, and these boots only last for "a while", so you're good to go.

12:06 a.m. on July 26, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

My first backpacking trips in the mid '80's the best piece of gear I had were my Nike hi-tops. They offered pretty good support and comfort but they sure didnt give ya much for traction once you left the parking lot.

I eventually got some HiTech's, they were a giant step up for about the same money as the Nike's. I have'nt owned any HiTech's for years but I think they would still be very servicable boots for the price paid.

12:25 a.m. on July 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

azrhino said:

My first backpacking trips in the mid '80's the best piece of gear I had were my Nike hi-tops. They offered pretty good support and comfort but they sure didnt give ya much for traction once you left the parking lot.

I eventually got some HiTech's, they were a giant step up for about the same money as the Nike's. I have'nt owned any HiTech's for years but I think they would still be very servicable boots for the price paid.

I gotta say something as far as Hi-Tecs go. I have a pair of Altitude IVs. For the $90 that I spent on them I do not believe there is another boot on the market at that MSRP that can hold a candle to them.

These are 3yrs old and still kicking... Granted there is a lace hook that is no longer existant. Other than that they are still functional. Best $90 I ever spent.
boots-005.jpg

2:52 a.m. on July 26, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I figured they would still be good boots for the money. If you dont have the cash for higher end boots you cant go wrong with the old Hi-Tec's (note the proper spelling :) )

2:59 a.m. on July 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

azrhino said:

I figured they would still be good boots for the money. If you dont have the cash for higher end boots you cant go wrong with the old Hi-Tec's (note the proper spelling :) )

A lil saddle soap followed up by a bit of Obenhauf's they may be borderline brand new, well except for the trail scars from years past lol. I am about to try it just to see what happens. :)

I will post a few pics.

9:52 p.m. on July 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

azrhino said:

Hi-Tec's (note the proper spelling :) )

I did.

~r2~

7:49 p.m. on July 28, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

I picked up a pair of Hi-Tec Altitude IV at a outlet store around Gatlinburg a couple of years ago.  i got them for about $65 and have hiked them since.  still use them.  for the money the best boot i've ever owned.

7:58 p.m. on July 28, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

i also have a buddy i hike with who swears by his ozark trails from walmart,  so who knows.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply