Camping/Hiking advice in Jacks River Falls, Georgia

9:09 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hello all!
I'm hoping I could get some detailed hiking/camping advice for Jacks River Falls. I'm coming from Atlanta and would like to do no more than a 3 to 4 mile, fairly easy hike to a campsite. Preferably with a great view and in close proximity to the water for swimming.
I'm bringing my 60 lb dog as well and would love to have some A-to-Z info on the area. I need to know the easiest way to get to a parking lot that accesses an easy, 3 to 4 mile hike to a campsite.

Electric/Toilets would be nice but not completely necessary. Taking some newbies and would love to show them a good time without having to make them "rough it" too much.

All the help I can get without making them hike a 14 mile trail through water would be fantastic! :)

Thank you! Hope to hear from you soon.

10:05 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,202 forum posts

I just pulled a short trip into the Cohutta and gotta say getting to the falls from the south is not all that easy.  The quickest access is a four mile hike from the Beech Bottom trailhead, but it's a long drive on several dirt roads.  Many people come in at Dally Gap and hike either the BMT/Hemp Top to Penitentiary Branch trail and down to the Jacks, or just follow the Jacks down from the top (with about 20 crossings).

Anyway, the actual Falls area is closed to camping from the top crossing past the falls to the bottom crossing below the falls by the Rice Camp trailhead.  There's a great campsite close to the falls on the other side of the Jacks at the Rough Ridge trailhead, and several up on the Beech Bottom trail behind the yellow No Camping sign where the trail crosses Beech Creek.

December 28, 2014
Quick Reply