Gore-Tex vs non Gore-Tex

6:01 a.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I am currently living in South Africa (where Lowa products are not available) but I was back in the USA last month and purchased a pair of Lowa Zephyr Desert Mid for some light hiking on our dry warm climate. They are non GTX and are fantastic boots.

I am in the process of purchasing a pair of hiking boots as I am going on a two month "walkabout". I have picked out a pair of  Lowa Renegade's - one comes in Gore-Tex the other in a non GTX version. I like the look of the GTX pair, but think it might be a little on the warm side for some warm/temperate weather hiking. I have been told by some that GTX is way too hot for serious warm weather hiking as one's feet will really perspire heavily as higher temps will slow the transfer rate down of moisture from inside the GTX boot to outside.

I will encounter some wet conditions on my hike, but not continuous rain, river crossings or cold.

Has anyone used GTX boots in warm weather? 

6:15 a.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

What's wrong with your brand new Lowas? Why not just use those?

Gore-tex is the devil IMO, is fine in hardshells but not so great for your feet. I would stick with non goretex models especially if your going to be on the trail for that long.

8:05 a.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,555 forum posts

I agree with Rambler,

My experience with GoreTex in boots has been that my feet are too hot and stuffy in warm weather. They also take longer to dry out when they are wet from stream crossings or continued rain, especially boots with a  suede upper.

I prefer non GoreTex boots that can be waterproofed on the outside using one of the store bought products made for boots. The manufacturer of the boot you buy should be able to recommend a suitable product.

9:56 a.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

+ 1 for no goretex on feet.  I see it as an additional cost with little functional value in return.  I have great pair of Asolo boots that happen to have goretex.  I have used them desert hiking, and in the rain.  I don't really notice the difference between goretex and non-goretex footwear, as far as sweat, wet, and hot feet go.  I would not let the goretex dissuade you if you are really hung up about looks.

Ed

10:05 a.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Rambler; no, there is nothing wrong with the Zephyrs at all, love them although they are more of a "scrambling" boot, not really sturdy like a hiking boot. I have used them a lot but the sole has already shown signs of wear....not Vibram.  

It seems most boots nowadays have Gore-Tex. Pity, as desert/hot weather type footwear is not easy to source unless one wants to wear military boots.   

Think I am going to go with the non-GTX version. Don't want my feet to fry up in 40c+ weather! Thanks.       

11:04 a.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
183 reviewer rep
100 forum posts

My current backpacking boots are the Danner Mountain Light II and they have a GTX liner. They are fantastic boots.

I would prefer that they were not GTX lined, but that is sort of a Danner trademark, and went with them anyway.

I just got back from Yosemite, and they didn't feel too hot at all, but this was a very cool year. I have hiked in temperatures up to the low 90's (F) and they also didn't feel too hot.

But, given the choice, I would prefer a non-lined boot. The Danner boots with the one piece construction would be plenty waterproof without the liner in my opinion.

1:01 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

After many different pairs of boots I am a non gore-tex fan in footwear. 

I believe a membrane has its place but footwear is not one of them. I am a big fan of my Scarpas. If taken care of leather will keep your feet just as dry as a boot with a membrane...

Then again I also use gaiters. (these are for wet weather only I have another pair for snow.) Moisture can penetrate the inside of your footwear through the exposed portion of your socks(above collar) and gradually work its way downward into your boot regardless of how "waterproof" they are.

SL-w-Gaiters-003.jpg

I think people have just become lazy in a sense and do not want to maintain their gear unless absolutely necessary. With a FGL boot w/o a membrane you do have to maintain them. I am an Obenhaufs die hard when it comes to my boots. I wouldn't use it on nubuck though...

obenhauf-s.jpg

I do not like gore-tex for a few reasons that I have stated many times.

When a membrane is combined with a FGL boot it is complete overkill. Not too mention they do not breathe and they turn my feet into sweatboxes which equals to "hamburger foot" when travelling longer distances for days on end.

When Gore-tex is combined with a boot that has synthetic(ie Cordura) inserts it works fairly well but still leaves a bit to be desired imho. I personally do not like synthetic boots because of the rocky terrain I encounter and they just don't last for me.

I am not sure if the OP has ever gotten a FGL boot that has a membrane wet but they take forever to dry. Alot longer than a boot w/o a membrane. 

Then there is the whole durability thing with gore-tex. In time they will leak if used regularly in harsh conditions. It seems to me that the gore-tex breaks down pretty fast. 

Being they do not breathe well this can big an issue in cold temps. Perspiration is moisture, moisture in cold temps is a bad thing. Granted this may not be an issue in the desert but things like blisters, trenchfoot, etc are. 

I believe alot of companies implement a membrane into their footwear to cut corners when it comes to the attention to detail in regards to production. I have compared the stitching on my non membrane boots to my boots with membranes. There is definitely a noticeable difference. 

If they blow a stitch on a boot with a membrane no worries, the gore-tex will cover their tails. 

On the Renegades.... The nubuck will need to be treated so it doesn't suck water up like a sponge. I would suggest using NikWax Nubuck and Suede Proof. Even if ya go for the ones with Gore-tex it will not hinder what breathability the boots have. Here is a link for it. 

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=77&activity= 

I have learned that after prolonged times of being saturated regardless of whether or not you have a membrane in a boot they will eventually leak. lets face it, if water wants in bad enough it will get in.

Not too mention the extra added weight a pair of water-logged boots will add.

If ya want the most out of your investment take care of it.

Welcome to Trailspace SassZiggi, happy hiking.

***On a side note the Renegade is not one of Lowas heavier boots, its actually one of their lighter boots. Ya may want to upgrade if durability is a concern especially if you are hauling a heavier pack. I think they are pretty much in the same group as the Zephyrs as far as intended use goes. Lowa classifies these as a hiking boot, not a trekking or backpacking boot. Here is a link for that as well.***

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/SelectType.cfm?Category=3&CFID=48824929&CFTOKEN=18960705

I just checked the Zephyr is a hiking boot as well. This type of boot is typically designed for light trail use/weekend trips with a light pack/daypack.

I would definitely consider looking into something heavier. While more expensive initially it will be easier on the ol wallet in the long run because they will last longer and you will not be shelling out more money on another pair.

2:05 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

@ SassZiggi : Welome to Trailspace.  Regarding Gore-Tex in boots or any other footwear..................Yea, that thing Rick just said!!

Rick-Pittsburgh said:
"It seems to me that the gore-tex breaks down pretty fast."

I bet you you'd break down pretty fast as well if you were wraped around my hot, sweaty, stinky feet.

2:09 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

apeman said:

@ SassZiggi : Welome to Trailspace.  Regarding Gore-Tex in boots or any other footwear..................Yea, that thing Rick just said!!

Rick-Pittsburgh said:
"It seems to me that the gore-tex breaks down pretty fast."

I bet you you'd break down pretty fast as well if you were wraped around my hot, sweaty, stinky feet.

Lol, maybe Red Ball hip waders are just the ticket for ya. They will keep the funk in and at the same time provide a protective barrier for your hiking companions. :p

3:12 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Here is a previous thread on the whole Gore-tex thing ya may find interesting:

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/87438.html

1:15 a.m. on August 27, 2011 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

SassZiggi said:

I will encounter some wet conditions on my hike, but not continuous rain, river crossings or cold.

Has anyone used GTX boots in warm weather? 

If it was continuous I would say go GoreTex.

I have a pair of GoreTex trail shoes and love them though they are hot when hiking in dry warm conditions.

A good compromise is to get GoreTex socks as a back up.

1:00 p.m. on September 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Mr. Horwat  ~

Thanks for inserting that thread-link.  [ *insert face-palm emoticon* ]

Saved me from going on one of my rants again.   I'll save the energy, high blood-pressure, hyper-kinetic keyboard stroking, and general grumbling, for another cause dear to my heart.

Hmmmm ....  lemme seeeeee .....  [ *insert head-scratching emoticon* ]

~r2~

4:44 p.m. on September 2, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

Mr. Horwat  ~

Thanks for inserting that thread-link.  [ *insert face-palm emoticon* ]

Saved me from going on one of my rants again.   I'll save the energy, high blood-pressure, hyper-kinetic keyboard stroking, and general grumbling, for another cause dear to my heart.

Hmmmm ....  lemme seeeeee .....  [ *insert head-scratching emoticon* ]

~r2~

Lol, I can't wait to see what you come up with. 

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply