Backcountry Boiler

12:46 a.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,259 forum posts

I ran across this and thought it might be of interest.  I hesitated to post it here since it could seem like an endorsement - please note I'm in no way affiliated with this, and don't endorse it.  However it does seem like an interesting idea for those of you who want to go light (not carry fuel) & who backpack in places where wood fires are allowed.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1763800459/backcountry-boiler-hot-water-from-found-fuel

1:18 a.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Thanks for posting this.  I actually ordered one through the program and expect to have it sometime in January.  I will report back what I think.  

Cheers,

2:07 a.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I've seen this thing before, can't remember where. What's interesting is that he's raised over $60K on Kickstarter to start production-that a lot of these things.

8:59 a.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Here's the official web page.  It's where I first saw it, probably where you saw it too Tom_D.

http://www.theboilerwerks.com/

2:36 p.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

CWF said:

Thanks for posting this.  I actually ordered one through the program and expect to have it sometime in January.  I will report back what I think.  

Cheers,

Looking forward to this

2:43 p.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

Tom, you might be thinking of stoves like the Sierra Stove. Although, I have seen something closer to the Boiler in a wood-burning or wood-gas stove. The design to take advantage of the chimney effect (what he calls "stack effect") is utilized on the Sigg cookers and the better Trangia alcohol stoves, where the hot combustion gas is directed through a surrounding windshield/chimney alongside the inner pot surface. Those use alcohol, white gas, butane, or other fossil fuels, of course, and this design uses the locally found twigs, leaves, bark, cow patties, and other locally found combustibles, like the Sierra Stove. Sierra Stove also differs in having an electric fan, though I have seen a version that depended entirely on the chimney effect, like the charcoal starters.

3:12 p.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Bill, I've seen the Sierra Stove, but this one as well when he was first developing it. I think someone at TLB posted about it and put up a link to his website.  For me, a stove with a battery, like the Sierra Stove, is a bad design-far more complicated that necessary.

Here is another wood burning stove-

http://www.littlbug.com/?gclid=COyD-oH4jq0CFRBphwodhgu2oA

The Caldera Cone is also a wood burner-

http://www.traildesigns.com/

btw, the Yosemite rangers told me I could use a wood burning stove in winter along Glacier Point Road as long as I wasn't cutting down any trees for fuel.

8:58 p.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I think (?) this is the second generation Backcountry Boiler, it is very similar in function to the Kelly Kettle, but the design is different in that it incorporates a fire pan, and it is lighter I believe.

These types of stoves work very well for boiling / heating water, I have used a couple that belonged to buddies. One was the Kelly Kettle, another I'm not sure of, and the third was home made from a steel thermos.

Because I like to do more than just boil water I personally prefer a true wood - gas stove that allows you to use whatever pot you wish, or happen to have with you.

Some of the places I go to have so much blow down wood that sometimes walking trails is more like running hurdles, so I just collect wood as I hike, a little here and a little there, by the time I'm at camp I have plenty.

So it's not exactly like I don't have to carry fuel, but it is plentiful and free, and probably has less overall impact that other types of fuels.

Mike G.

9:07 p.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Here's a high tech version of the Backcountry Boiler.  Has a fan but doesn't need a battery and it can charge your electronic gadgets.

SM111122-06-V2.jpg

http://www.biolitestove.com/CampStove.html They have more photos and and video.  I posted some videos of an earlier model in the Camp stoves thread.  You can now reserve one of these and get it by summer. 

3:25 a.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

The Backcountry boiler, from what I've seen, seems like a really practical boiler.   The type goes back at least to the 1920's with the Thermette that came out of New Zealand.  The English picked it up from the Kiwis and had the Ghillie Kettle, the Sirram Volcano being one implementation.  The Irish picked it up and it became the Kelly Kettle.  The Irish claim to have originated the idea.  I don't think so. 

If you go on-line, you can find Ghillie/Kelly Kettles for sale.  They tend to be heavy affairs though, ill-suited to backpacking.  Devin Montgomery's innovation is to come up not only with boiler that works along the lines of the proven Thermette design but also one that is really light.  I've been lusting after, er, thinking about how nice it would be to have one for some time, but living in Los Angeles as I do, wood fires just aren't the thing.  The majority of the places where I hike, wood fires are either banned outright or restricted to only developed campgrounds.

HJ
Adventures in Stoving

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply